What's new

I love my Paradigms (1 Viewer)

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I have a passion for Paradigm speakers.
eek.gif

I currently have these speakers in my room.
Paradigm Reference Studio 100's (Pair)
Paradigm Reference Studio 60's (Pair)
Paradigm Reference Studio CC (Single)
Paradigm Reference Studio ADP's (Two Pairs)
Paradigm Reference Studio Servo-15 Sub's1 (Pair)
Paradigm PS-1000 sub (Single)
That's a total of 12 Paradigm speakers in the room.
Pretty crazy..Hey!
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new pictures!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Congrats on 4K posts, Trevor.
I, too, love my Paradigm Reference V.1 speakers (Studio/60 mains, Studio/20 rears, and CC-450 centre). :D
Dave

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys. I currently have 20's V.1 for my mains with matching Center channel. I'm using Atoms for my rears but want to upgrade. Should I go with 40's in the front and move the 20's in the rear? Or would I be better off just getting the ADP's for the rear?

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Servo 15 good enough for music. I need an accurate and clean sounding sub to match my B&W CDM7-NT.
My local shop says the Servo 15 in no longer available. Is this true?
Thanks
Regards,
TAH

Kevin_W

Second Unit
May I ask what is the difference in the ver 1 and ver 2's? I see this noted quite often and have always been curious.
Thanks,
Kevin

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I spoke to Hifiklubi, the finnish version of the scandinavian chain, and they say the Servo 15 isn't available in a 220 volt model anymore. It's still on the Paradigm web pages though so I'm assuming you can still buy it in the US and Canada...
I was fortunate enough to get the last demo model in Finland... got it today, in fact, haven't yet had the chance to hook it up and try it.
Tor Arne, you may want to look at REL subs... that was my next stop if I couldn't get the Servo. They cost a little more though.
------------------
/Kimmo

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could love my Paradigms, but I don't have any. Anyone what to lend, ah lets make it give (I don't want to pay it back) me $4500 CDN so I could go get a set of Reference Actives
tongue.gif

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi Everybody!
Sean,,It depends on what you prefer in the rear soundfeild.
Direct radiating (20's) will of course give you a more direct surround image where as the dipoles (ADP's) will disperse the sound all around the back area which will overall be more enveloping.
Tor,,The Servo-15 is excellent for music. It is accurate and clean. The perfect sub to incorporate with the Paradigm Reference Series.
Kevin,,The V2's are basically an improved design over the V1's.
Some enhancements include a redesigned cabnet structure for improvement in sound quality. In fact the Studio 100's V2 weigh 23lbs more than the 100's v1. Quite significant.
The tweeters have been reworked with new Damping material and magnet structures. The midrange have been completely redesigned and the tuning on the woofers was changed slightly including an increased port length.
Dustin,,$4500 for the actives
eek.gif

Way over priced if you ask me..I don't think I even paid that much for my original 5.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Trevor, it would be $4200-$4600 CDN including tax to get an Active CC, Active 40 and Active 20. Each speaker has it's own 2 channel amp built in with an active line level crossover doing the frequency split between the amps. The pricing out I've done would put an indentical set of Studio's with an Anthem MCA5 5 channel amp at only about $400-$600 CDN less than the Actives and they would only have a single amp channel each. Also even if you did biamp them all, it would be passive not active biamping.
Although I haven't had a chance to compare the Studio Athem vs Active setups to know for sure. But from what I've read the Actives are much more than a $600 improvement over the Studio's. Well 40's anyways, compared to a 100 biamped like you have, bass no comparison, 100 would slaughter, mids and highs wouldn't know till I heard it.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Trevor,
How do you have the PS-1000 sub hooked up? Are you per chance running it off the speaker level outputs of the center channel and then running your center in Large speaker mode?
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I couldn't agree more about the REL subs. The sub names don't seem to indicate any clear progression from model to model, so the only way to figure out where they stand relatively to each other was to get a look at the price list...
------------------
/Kimmo

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
I found a Norwegian shop that had the REL subs. The Strata III was in my price range. But the Quake is getting a lot of praise at Audioreview.com and it's half the price. The q-200e is also the right price but I don't trust those super-small subs. I get the impression that all REL subs are very good value indeed.
One sub I really like is the Audiovector M-Sub Signature with the slave driver. It's very beautiful and should sound good as it has a slave driver instead of a port. The webshop promises that this is one of the more musical subs. Just what I'm looking for:
msubthumb.jpg

Sorry for bringing the thread off subject like this. :)
------------------
Picture of my setup so far:
http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg
[Edited last by Tor Arne on August 25, 2001 at 05:38 PM]
[Edited last by Tor Arne on August 25, 2001 at 05:39 PM]

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Gotcha by ONE
wink.gif

Main Theater:
Paradigm Reference Studio 100's (Pair)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20's (Pair)
Paradigm Reference Studio ADP's (Pair)
Paradigm Reference Studio Servo-15 Sub
Bedroom Theater:
Paradigm Reference Studio 40's (Pair)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20's (Pair)
That makes 13 for in my sick, sadistical world of HT!!!
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]
[Edited last by Steven Simon on August 25, 2001 at 11:49 PM]

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I think he still has you though Steve, as his 12 are all in one room. If he did a bedroom theater too, I'm sure his count would go from 12 to 18 Paradigm speakers
tongue.gif

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Steven, You really are one sick puppy.
wink.gif

Patrick,,I had the PS-1000 connected to the rear surrounds at one time. Now it is at the front of the room and being used as a chair. :) I am currently rearranging my room once again.
Dustin,,I would really like to hear those Active's some day..I guess for the set of 5 that's not really too bad of a price.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The Strata III have gotten really good reviews everywhere I've read about them. One of those was actually my second choice after the Servo I got. A rating of 4.88 with 24 reviews on Audioreview is also pretty good. A rating of 5 with only 5 reviews (like the Quake) isn't necessarily as trustworthy.
Then again, most reviews on Audioreview have to be taken with a huge grain of salt since usually they are by people who already own the equipment, and it's real easy to be overenthusiastic about your own stuff IMHO. :)
But of course, there is always the SVS line of subs too. Shipping will cost over $200 to Norway (that is what it costs to Finland too) but it might be worth it to get a really good sub?
Yes, we're veering off the Paradigm topic here... sorry. :)
------------------
/Kimmo

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
This is eerie! I intended to post that exact comment about audioreview under my previous post but removed it. I know I like my CDM7-NT.
I have this bad feeling about the SVS-line, that they're not as good for music as other good subs. Hardly any of the reviews on AR talk seriously about music-performance. They mostly brag about how it rocks the building. I don't really know though, have never heard them. :)
Trevor, How would you say Paradigms cheaper subs, the PS-1000 and 1200, are for music? I hear good things about Paradigm subs at the local shop.
------------------
Picture of my setup so far:
http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

Trevor H

Second Unit
Tor,
You can trust me when I tell you that the SVS is the best sub I have ever heard for music, yes it goes very low and deep but it is also very tight, no matter how fast the beat of the music the SVS keeps up without breaking a sweat, I have heard many so called "good" subs that sound like one constant rumble on very fast music.
Now I am not saying that the SVS is the absolute best sub for music, but for the price not many comercial subs even come close.
------------------
Trevor Harder
My HT Page
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks