What's new

I Love Lucy: Possible Paramount DVD release soon? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If they would include some of the original comercials inserted at the approriate breaks now *that* would be cool!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Though this would be a sweet 'extra', the original commercials, if studios have a hard enought time now with music rights in trailers, they may have rights issues involved with those old commercials as well. Aside from that, though the commercials would be fun, with repeated viewings, this feature might get old fast and then you would have people annoyed at having to fast forward through the spots.

I would much prefer, not that any asked, more than just four shows on a disc....they could do the eight, get the first seasons 35 shows all in one set and have an extra disc that would include the extras.

Again, if this is what is to be done with the series (four shows only a disc and not in order nor a box set), regardless of my love for this series, I will not own it.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
It's rather hard to believe that Paramount would repackage Columbia House discs but I guess anything is possible. Perhaps CH licensed this material from Paramount to begin with and now Paramount is going back to even better source material. Nothing is for certain at this point until someone can verify the two discs side by side. If this is a repackage, it's going to be a no sale for me.

I talked to a CSR at CH today and they are completely unaware of the impending Paramount release of "I Love Lucy" plus they're still selling "All In The Family" and "I Love Lucy" for $30 per disc. This just doesn't make sense. Why would CH still sell these discs when they're being released at a third of the cost by other companies.

As far as Star Trek TOS is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount repackages them as boxed sets at some point in the future. I've seen the single discs langishing on the shelves at most of the B&M stores for some time now. It would make perfect sense to have a major repackage promotion because we're talking revenue.

Jeff

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Regarding the original openings, if Paramount is using the same masters they're using for the VHS versions of I Love Lucy Vols. 1 through 4 (and I assume they are), then they have not replaced the satin heart openings with the original openings. I can verify that.

And Columbia House doesn't charge $30.00 per disc. It's $24.95 plus tax and shipping -- which is still overpriced, but it's the same as the list price for the Twilight Zone DVDs, which also had only 4 episodes per disc. At least Lucy has got some extras, unlike Twilight Zone.

Regarding the original commercials, with I Love Lucy there probably would not be a rights clearance problem with the commercials, since all the commercials for the first few years of the show were for Philip Morris, their sponsor. I'm sure Philip Morris would not have any problem at all having their commercials included on the DVDs.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

"And Columbia House doesn't charge $30.00 per disc. It's $24.95 plus tax and shipping -- which is still overpriced..."

When you buy from CH, it is always assumed you'll be paying shipping charges because it's mail order. When I said CH charges $30 per disc, that was the all inclusive price and I was being generous. Here's the breakdown:

$24.95 per episode.

$ 3.99 per each individual episode shipped.

8.25% (California Tax) is added to the total of $28.94.

Grand total for each individual episode shipped is $31.33.

That's $30 per disc no matter how you slice it!

Jeff

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Right, I'm just pointing out that you unfairly include the price of tax and shipping when you talk about the price on the CH discs, but not when you talk about the Paramount discs:

You can purchase these discs FOR A THIRD of what Columbia House is selling them and they're the same damn thing. CH is over $30 per disc and Paramount is under $10.
Internet retailers are going to be charging tax and shipping, too -- that is also assumed. You're not going to be able to get them for $10 shipped.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Internet retailers are going to be charging tax and shipping, too -- that is also assumed. You're not going to be able to get them for $10 shipped.
That's not necessarily true. For titles with a $14.99 MSRP, DeepDiscountDVD almost always (maybe even always) charges < $10, and they offer free Media Mail shipping and no tax (except in IL), so you should be able to get it there for < $10 shipped.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

"Perhaps...but only because Paramount doesn't have to spend any money mastering the discs."

You don't know that to be absolute fact. Do not make blanket statements that you cannot substantiate!

Here's a quote from your own post:

"Well, we don't know yet, 'cause we don't know for sure whether or not these are the actual Columbia House discs. We'll have to wait till they're released to find out, I guess."

You also need to re-read this thread. Go back to Daniel Schenk's post. There you'll find a link to DVD EMPIRE listing "I Love Lucy" for $9.74 plus $1.30 shipping, no tax. Grand total $11.04! Yes I know it's slightly over ten dollars but it's better than paying $31.33.

Jeff

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
but it's the same as the list price for the Twilight Zone DVDs, which also had only 4 episodes per disc.
I will simply remind you that (A) those are discs that were originally releases starting 12/29/98 for Volume 1 (or 11/24/97 if you want to include the "Treasures Of...") whereas I Love Lucy is being released in Summer 2002, and (B) the TZ discs are now MSRPing at $14.99, having been reduced a while back now (close to a year, IIRC).

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

"I assume Brian is hinting that he's seen the I Love Lucy's in his authoring house, and knows some details that his ethic prevents him from passing on outright."

David Lambert, that's your assumption. Whether or not he has had anything to do with the authoring of those discs, only he can answer, should he so desire. Based upon his comments throughout this thread, I doubt it. That's my assumption.

Jeff

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
No, I don't know that for sure. I just said that to try to get in the last word. :laugh:
Chill out, everybody. Let's not let this turn into a hostile thread. Jeff thinks CH is overpriced. I agree, but I don't think they're as objectionably overpriced as he does. Whatever. To each his own. I've been so happy with the ILL DVDs I've received from CH so far that I guess I feel the need to defend them a little.
However, I have seen what I assume are the video masters being used for the Paramount "I Love Lucy," and I haven't seen anything that indicates they're NOT the same as the CH masters. In fact, as I said in an earlier thread, the card intro to the pilot episode made me wonder if that were the case, and that was before I ever read the post from the person who claims he is in contact with Greg Oppenheimer.
His statements, combined with the fact that the Paramount DVDs appear to have the exact same extras as the CH discs, plus the unusually low list price for something that Paramount claimed needed to undergo extensive restoration, make me think it's likely that they are in fact the same discs.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I think we're all passionate about one of our all time favorite tv shows. Whether it be the CH discs or the Paramount discs will be a personal choice.

Jeff

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
From Showbiz Data:

Paramount Home Video has announced plans to release a series of I Love Lucy DVDs that will include, along with four episodes of the series on each disc, such additional goodies as flubs, "special footage," and features produced for radio in the early '50s. The company said that it plans to release the first two "Season One" DVDs on July 2, priced at $14.99 each. At least one online discounter quickly said that it would take advance orders for only $9.74.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Here is the cover art for the Paramount I Love Lucy DVDs, from Amazon. I must say I prefer these colorful covers to the Columbia House versions, whether they are the same discs or not:
B000065U38.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000065U39.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I consider the option to purchase a NO BRAINER for anyone who loves Lucy!

At less than $10 for 4 episodes (about $2.50 per half hour episode), even if it is the same CH version people have been holding off buying because of the price, how can you loose? You can pay $10 or more for a lousy 30 minute film/documentry!

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
If they would include some of the original comercials inserted at the approriate breaks now *that* would be cool!
The Criterion Laserdisc did just that. The LD included the Phillip Morris cigarette commercials. However, I doubt we'll ever see these again.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The Criterion Laserdisc did just that. The LD included the Phillip Morris cigarette commercials. However, I doubt we'll ever see these again.
Ever is a long time -- I think we will see them someday, but not with this release. I have seen the video master they are using for the DVDs, and they have not restored either the original openings or the commercials. The "Original Openings" listed in the press release will be a supplement. I know that for a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread