What's new

I Love Lucy (Paramount) - Is It Or Isn't It? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That link takes me to a page to order a VHS with 5 episodes of Lucy. Nothing about a DVD or a boxset (VHS or DVD).

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Yes, I know the link is for the VHS version but this "IS" the set that was supposed to also materialize on DVD. So if they can put the series out on tape, why not disc?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Steven, the reason Paramount gave for scrapping the DVDs was that it would cost too much to do a proper restoration. I assume Paramount figures people who would buy the series on VHS wouldn't be as discriminating on the picture quality as us DVD-philes would be.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Yes, the original materials are in poor condition. We didn't feel we could meet our own standards if we released a DVD equivalent. It will require a restoration first.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a good thing Paramount isn't willing to release crap. It seems like we sometimes pressure the studios to release their product, but then complain if it isn't perfect.

Martin, is Paramount trying to gauge interest in having the discs released before they look at restoring the episodes, or was it determined that it would cost too much money and so the project was dropped?

Gord

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,
I completely agree with you regarding the need for a proper restoration of I Love Lucy. I recently received the dvd of Vol. 1 from Columbia House and it was of unacceptable quality. I was told that Gregg Oppenheimer remastered it and I'm waiting for the replacement copy. Columbia House sent me Vol. 2 and although the quality is improved, I still see video artifacts (slight blurring of the image on fast moving objects and freeze framing causes loss of resolution) and the sound quality definitely needs to be improved. I've heard that Glen Glenn was a pioneer of magnetic sound in the early 50's. I don't know if the final mixes ended up on mag or optical or what condition they're in but the sound needs work.
Some time ago I read in one of the Columbia House flyers that each dvd of I Love Lucy would cost $19.95 plus $3.99 shipping and handling. I received the bill for Vol. 2 and the cost is $24.95 for each volume (four episodes per volume) plus $3.99 each for shipping and handling. The show consists of 179 episodes. This is a steep price to pay for what I've seen so far. I'm probably going to cancel with Columbia House until a restoration is done.
Jeff

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
I think the restoration ia all up in the air - who pays, how elaborate, etc etc. So don't expect anything anytime soon.

Will K

Screenwriter
I think the restoration ia all up in the air - who pays, how elaborate, etc etc. So don't expect anything anytime soon.
Thanks, Mr. Blythe. However long it takes, it will be worth the wait(and the work) as Lucy is an important part of entertainment history.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I guess at this point, it is all a matter of what you are willing to pay for and if you are a true Lucy fan or not?
Like people who either pan or acclaim Pearl Harbor depending on what you want to get out of the movie and the frame of mind you watch it in, I am sure the same hold true here with Columbia House's releases.
I mean, keep in mind when we first watched these shows on old Emerson and Philco Black and White televisions in the 1950's that the TV and broadcast reception itself wasn't very good. So... any "better" release of the shows is an improvement from the original experience and I am satisfied with CH's quality at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks