I LOVE LUCY: "Lucy and Superman"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael.J.Hayde, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Michael.J.Hayde

Just read the following at TVSHOWSONDVD.COM:

Now that we know the episode will be included, I have a question: will it include the voice-over credit that was heard on the original network broadcast ("Our guest star tonight was George Reeves, star of the SUPERMAN series."), or will they use the syndication closing that omitted Reeves' credit?

One of the lasting myths surrounding Reeves is that he was chagrined about not receiving credit for the episode. That was proved false when bootleg VHS tapes of the original network version started appearing. Presumably the "heart"-titled version did not air until after his tragic death, which may explain why his credit was not included.

Michael

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

While Gregg O. has not spoken to me on this one way or the other, I know that it is his intention that as much of the original broadcast version of each episode is preserved as possible. So I feel sure that he'll do his best to make sure that the voice-over credit for George Reeves is included somehow. If it's not on there, I'm sure it won't be because he didn't care!

3. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

What I'd like to know is where will the Christmas episode be? I thought it aired earlier in the run of the show?

4. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    The Christmas Episode aired either right after or right before the Superman episode

5. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

6. Roger_S

Roger_S Stunt Coordinator

To answer Michael's question, the voice-over credit for George Reeves is indeed included during the end credits.

The Christmas Show is the 4th episode on disc 2 (Lucy and Superman is 2 episodes later) or the 11th episode overall counting those on disc 1.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Just so you know, the George Reeves v.o. credit is restored here; (clumsily, but it's here). I listened to the commentary on this episode yesterday too. It seemed like Keith Thibodeaux (Little Ricky) was in another room, or on the phone or something. He didn't seem to be interacting with the other two. I listened to the Barbara Eden commentary on "The Country Dance." She didn't have much to say. In fact she seemed to be stretching for comments after the first 3 minutes. First she goes into this long anecdote about how Lucy took her gown and personally sewed a bunch of sequins into it. Then Barbara comes onto the screen in said dress--which seems to have no sequins. Then Barbara says on the commentary something like "the studio audience could see the sequins." And I'm like, honey, there are no sequins on that damn dress, you liar!

8. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Assuming the omission of his credit wasn't simply an accident, my guess is that nobody at CBS wanted young ears to find out that Superman wasn't real, as Lucy reruns ran at 11 a.m. on CBS for many years. Notice that nobody in the episode ever refers to him as anything but 'Superman'.

9. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    The whole set is fantastic. I'm absolutely thrilled that they have finally included the option to view the episodes with their original openings. I wish they had done that since the beginning.

10. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

My thoughts exactly!

11. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

Yes, that's a GREAT addition!