What's new

"I Love Lucy" Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Gary - The colors for "Lucy Goes To Scotland" were matched precisely from all available color stills supplied by CBS and also based on color videos that Desi had taken during the shoot. Colorization was produced in high definition (1920, 1080P) from pristine 35mm film. The director of the colorized version was Gregg Oppenheimer, the son of the original producer of the series and Gregg was a stickler for accuracy. He told me that Desi wanted this particular episode shot in color because it was a dream sequence but it was not in the budget. The plaids have precise color detail throughout as you'll notice particularly in the closeups which show the texture weave. Skin tones were digitially matched using Legend's new color design process so that colors appear as they would if originally shot in color. Lips and teeth are natural color based on the reference material and appropriately encoded for each person. FYI: Heavy makeup was not used in this episode. I'll be interested in hearing from others who see the episode.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy with this set, but disappointed that the digital glitch in Season 5 was not corrected. It would have been very easy to do. Obvious care was taken in the restoration of these episodes and it is a shame that mistakes such as this one not only go unseen, but are left that way on future releases.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

While the colorization is a little better than it used to be, I still find it very distracting and the skin tones still don't look natural. Overall, it's a big waste of time as far as I'm concerned and I'm grateful that the black and white version is found in its proper place in the collection.

"It's just that we here strive for a natural look and the powder you're wearing gives your skin a very weird, unnatural look." -- Phoebe Emerson.

Thanks Rob. I think it's a wonderful thing that everyone can choose which version to watch (or both) and I certainly respect your preference to watch the black and white version. I'm not sure I understand your comment "overall, it's a big waste of time." The studios would not be making this effort were there not a significant upside. That upside is translated into the public's demonstrated desire to have the choice. I've always found it difficult to understand why a minority would dictate to the majority how they should watch a film or television episode. The Home Theater Forum is a tough audience and I enjoy visiting now and then, particularly when I note intelligent discourse between the posters regardless of their bias either way.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

If we are being sticklers Jess Oppenheimer, Gregg's father was the producer not director of " I Love Lucy"
Try as they might, in my opinion, what was filmed in black and white can never look correct with computer color. I have never had a problem with other people watching it if they want. I would object if the original version were not available. I also object if they want to charge me more for a DVD that has both a color & B&W version of a film
when all I want is the original B&W. This was the case up until recently with the 3 Stooges DVD releases. If they were to release season sets of I Love Lucy in computer color, I would not buy it but I don't care if others do. I saw no reason for the color show. If it helps sell more sets, great. Maybe the first season of The Lucy Show (in B&W) will be released.

You are so right Gary. Jess was the original producer but Gregg was the director of this colorized version. That was an inadvertent slip. Thx

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm glad I upgraded to the Complete set. The 1st season now looks amazing. The Bonus Disc is fun, but not earthshaking. Got it at Target for $159, so after selling off my Seasons Sets, I got this for next to nothing. The upgrade on the picture quality on the 1st season alone was worth it (as was the space saving). While I don't like the gimmicky packaging, the box itself is much sturdier and better made than it looked in pictures.

I certainly hope they make the restored 1st season available singly for those who don't want to get the Complete set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. This is really not fair for those of us who picked these up as they came out. And I lucked out by picking up only the re-released Season One in slimpacks.

We will shortly be putting the Lucy audition demo on the Legend Films website http://www.legendfilms.com. Also, there will be true color "Lucy Goes To Scotland" screen shots in a major NY newspaper within two weeks.

To sample this incredible technology today, pick up Paramount's "It's A Wonderful Life: The Collector's Set" to see Legend Films' most advanced color design applied to a feature film that is decades earlier than "Lucy Goes To Scotland".

Doubt if he really looked at "Lucy Goes To Scotland". Everyone in the industry that has seen that episode is astounded by the quality. I wish some reviewers would put their biases on hold and stop doing a disservice to their readers.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Nice to see they completely redid season one, bringing it up to speed with the other seasons quality-wise.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this belongs in this forum or the "Bargains" forum, but Target is selling the "I Love Lucy" complete series set for $109.99 this week. I was in the store at lunch and saw it. I decided to take the plunge and buy it. (I've been wanting this bonus disc for a while). This price is more attractive to me in being able to resell the individual season sets (although I'm still cursing Paramount's (and others) insistence at releasing bonus dvds exclusive to complete series sets with no regard to the fans who've purchased the individuals sets).

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon

Thank you so much for posting this! I didn't read the Target ad this week, and I would have missed this offer otherwise. I was glad that my local store still had some in stock.

I was worried about the packaging, but it looks great and is quite practical as far as these things go. The box now has a place of honor on the top shelf.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
You were right! The sale was over when I got there Sunday- Oh well...

If anyone sees this again advertised on sale lete me know-

Jack

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of getting this "complete" set in the near future, since I don´t own any of these season-sets... Is this "definitive release" of this series? It´s around 200$ after all...

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks