What's new

I LOVE LUCY 7th, 8th, and 9th season (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps there is a problem including these commercials because Betty Furness, who was the Westinghouse spokesperson, also is in the commercials. Maybe payments need to be made to her or something.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I know she was the consumer reporter for Ch 4 here in NY for many years.
I did not know she had died.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
My understanding is that the DVD producers made repeated attempts to contact the Furness estate (I believe it's Betty's granddaughter) and received absolutely no response. Therefore the Westinghouse commercials will not be on the set. It's sad that so many people from the past are going to be forgotten because their estates just don't care. This would have been a great way to acquaint new generations with who she was.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
While I'm happy that the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour is being released, it sort of bugs me that this is being billed as I Love Lucy seasons 7, 8, and 9. It makes it sound like I Love Lucy ran for 9 seasons.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
While technically not true, a case can be made for it. Technically, these shouldn't have been called "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour," either, but they've been called that for over 44 years now. I guess calling them "The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Specials" wouldn't give them the sales that calling them "I Love Lucy" hopefully will.

If it will lead to the release of "The Lucy Show" on DVD, they can call that "I Love Lucy Seasons 10-15" and I won't complain. Whatever it takes!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That's why the design is being left consistant, too. And I'd assume later there will be a Complete Series collection released? Not that I'd be very interested in that, since I have all the separate season boxes. It'd be nice to get the other Lucy shows after this set, too. But, for me, I Love Lucy remains the best show ever on television. Certainly, the best sitcom. And I can't wait to have the complete run of the series.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I agree that "I Love Lucy" is the best sitcom ever. "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" were quite inferior, and Lucille Ball got less funny as her voice deepened -- but I'd still like those two series, too, because there were usually two or three good laughs in most episodes (compared to twenty or thirty in "I Love Lucy.") And Gale Gordon was always good.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Yes I think that I Love Lucy is a lot funnier than The Lucy Show but they are all really good. How good is "Here's Lucy,"? I have never seen one episode of "Here's Lucy" and the only thing that I know is from what I have read online. Is it a better show than "The Lucy Show"?

I have been debating on buying a set called "The Best Of Here's Lucy" that I seen on Amazon but people were giving it low ratings and saying how inferior it is to the "I Love Lucy" shows. I have all of the seasons of "I Love Lucy" on dvd and I also have a lot of "The Lucy Show" mixed sets and love watching them all. I am just worried about buying "Here's Lucy" and being disappointed in the set!! I also have "I Love Lucy Seasons 7-9" dvd pre-ordered at Amazon, can't wait to get this set!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, "The Lucy Show" seemed to get worse as it went along -- but "Here's Lucy" got better. Lucy got her old writers back and they wrote several episodes for the last three seasons. However, it's still inferior to "I Love Lucy" -- but what isn't?

Actually, I'd recommend that "Here's Lucy" set if you can get it for a good price. The episodes are ok (for the most part) -- but the prints are absolutely stunning -- some of the best I ever saw. The show didn't look nearly that good when it was on network TV originally! And the extras are superb -- especially backstage footage of Lucy rehearsing and outtakes and bloopers. You can see what the woman was really like, and sometimes it's not so pretty. You've got to see her start to get into it with Richard Burton, and the director (Jerry Paris) threatens to clear the set if those two superstars don't stop.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This is rather off-topic but still related. I'm trying to compile the complete run of "My Favorite Husband" radio shows. I've downloaded 102 episodes from different sites, with 23, I believe still missing. What I'm wondering is, is there a listing anywhere of which episodes are contain on all the I Love Lucy DVDs? Perhaps some may be on there that I'm missing.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Yes without a doubt I Love Lucy is superior to both "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" but I also find "Here's Lucy" to be better than "The Lucy Show". Better scripts and Gale Gordon had his character nailed by this point. I think some of the negative reviews on the Here's Lucy set were due to it not being released as season sets. I would definately get it. It is a really nice set with good restorations and nice extras.
I would purchase all seasons of "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" if they were released even though they are not as good as "I Love Lucy" they are still well worth watching and better than alot of what passes for comedy on TV today.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Thanks, I am definitely going to order "Heres Lucy"!! I love the radio shows also, I didn't know those existed either until buying the "I Love Lucy" season dvds because it is a bonus on the set. I wish that they would bring the radio shows out on cd because I would love to listen to it in the car.

I have seen all of the "I Love Lucy" episodes dozens of times but I haven't seen "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour shows" but maybe once or twice and it has been a while since they have aired on cable. I researched the list of hourly shows and I know that I have seen them all but the episode where Red Skelton guest strars doesn't seem familiar to me. I may have seen it but I can't remember, anyway I can't wait until this set is released. Time is flying by and we only got about a month to go, can't wait until March, 13 to own this set. :) :)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Brandy, you can download just about every episode of "My Favorite Husband" (for free) by going here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...rite%20husband

You can burn them to CDs and play them in your car. You can fit two to a disc. Even better --- with an MP3 player hooked up to your car's sound system, you can bring along the whole series with you.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That's where I got most of mine. Still 24 are missing and I can't find them anywhere online, and I wonder if any are located on the Lucy DVDs (I haven't been listening to them on the DVDs):

07/23/1948 - The Literary Club
07/30/1948 - The Magazine Photographer
08/06/1948 - Liz's Portrait
08/27/1948 - Matrimony on the Rocks
09/10/1948 - Liz Has Her Fortune Told
10/30/1948 - The Election
12/11/1948 - Respective Moustaches
03/18/1949 - Give Away Program
03/25/1949 - Old Jokes and Old Stories
06/03/1949 - Budget/Mr. Atterbury
06/10/1949 - Hair Dyed
09/09/1949 - The Auction
04/02/1950 - April Fools
04/16/1950 - Anniversary
05/07/1950 - The Health Farm
05/21/1950 - Mrs. Cooper Thinks Liz is Pregnant
09/16/1950 - Movies
09/23/1950 - Fuller Brush Show
11/04/1950 - The Two Mrs. Coopers
11/11/1950 - Vacation from Marriage
01/13/1951 - The Cuckoo Clock
02/17/1951 - Renewal of Driver's License
03/17/1951 - Liz Hires a New Secretary for George
03/31/1951 - The April Fool Joke (The Silk Stockings)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks