What's new

I LOVE LUCY 7th, 8th, and 9th season (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

But not mentioning the three words "I Love Lucy," probably the most famous television show title of all time, is mysterious. Why not make it clear to people that it's about the Ricardos and the Mertzes? "The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show" sounds like it could be a variety special.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Yea I really like them calling it "I Love Lucy" Season 7-9 and it should have been called that from the beginning, I think. Plus "The Luci-Desi comedy Hour" does not air near as much as the rest of the "I Love Lucy" shows these days. "I Love Lucy" doesn't air but maybe once a week or less and it used to be on cable everyday. I just don't get it! I haven't seen "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour air in years and I am so looking foward to adding this set to my collection. I have pre-ordered my set on Amazon for only 27.99 with free shipping, and it should arrive after March, 13. I am looking foward to having the complete set!!!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
How many discs will this be?

Cannot wait to own the complete run of this, one of the best shows on all time.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

You have to remember this happen 50 years ago when I Love Lucy while extremely popular was not the icon it is today. When reruns of the early years of I Love Lucy began running at 6:30 PM on Sundays on CBS, they changed the name of the show to the Lucy Show. This was before her 1960s
show of the same name. At one point after the half hour I Love Lucy shows ended in the late fifties CBS reran the last half of season 6 under the name Lucy in Connecticut . I Love Lucy was really when reruns first began. I guess to distinguish them they changed the name of the show. Same thing could be true of the hour shows. They wanted people to know they were different from the half hour shows.
I guess the name was just not as important then as now.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
From what I have heard there will only be 4 discs, (because there is only 13 episodes) but I am not completely sure if that is true, but that is what I read on one web site. I would go ahead and pre order this set before the price goes up! At DVD Empire you have to pay 31.00 + shipping and if you order it from Amazon it will only be 27.99 with free super saver shipping on all orders over 25.00 and so you will get free shipping and you will not be billed on your credit card untill the item is shipped. (I love pre ordering items from Amazon :) I can't wait to see the 3 epsiodes of "I Love Lucy" Movie version that has never been aired before, I have seen all of the other "I Love Lucy" shows and re runs and this will be a treat to be able to see something new.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I haven't been able to find this set anywhere online but Amazon and DVD Empire, I don't know if there are any other stores online or not. Walmart's website usually have pre orders but I can't find "I Love Lucy" Season 7-9 anywhere on there site. In fact all of the Walmart stores in my location does not carry it anymore, but they have almost everything else. They have Andy Griffith, Jeannie, etc. Plus the other stores in my area like Circuit City and Best Buy are the only other two places that I can find these box sets and they take so long to get stock in. I also have "I Dream Of Jeannie" Season 3 pre ordered as well. I haven't found any "new" news on "Bewitched" Season 5 yet. I am sure it will be several months to be released because there isn't anywhere online mentioning any release information or pre order information!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a Westinghouse commercial shown during the one hour shows. This was from the Ida Lupino/ Howard Duff show in which Fred and Ethel hardly appeared at all. At least they got to star in the commercial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u7S77YziZ...elated&search=

At this site there are 3 Lucy/Desi commercials for Westinghouse including the one on Youtube
http://www.automaticwasher.org/vintage_video.htm

In these commercials, Desi Arnaz is called Desi but William and Vivian are called Fred and Ethel . Of course Lucy is called Lucy. Always nice to see more of these four together.

Due to all the guest stars there was much less of the Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel interaction
that was the heart of I Love Lucy. These commercials especially the Fiesta of Values strangely are more like I Love Lucy then the shows themselves. When Fred is told a freezer can hold 190 pounds of food, his reply "So can Ethel" is priceless.

The link below will take you a site where when you click on the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour you will see the original animated opening credits of "Lucy Goes to Havana" as well as Desi's welcoming you to the show.
http://www.tvparty.com/movlucy.html

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Ok now I have a question. I have just reviwed all of the "I Love Lucy" Desi Comedy Hour Episodes and there are a total of 14 shows. Why are they not including episode 14 The Desilu Playhouse Christmas Special! I have read on a few sites that there were only 13 episodes, but I have just proven that fact wrong as I seen that there are in fact 14 episodes at this Christmas one being #14. I am trying to research this but if anyone can let me know anything I would really appreciate it. I have found out about the Christmas special at www.youns.com. Thanks,

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

The Christmas show you refer to was a Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse variety show called the Desilu Revue and featuring members of a group of young actors she was training at the time. I believe Desi, Vivian Vance, and William Frawley appeared on the show but not as Ricky, Fred, and Ethel.

From TV.com

The Desilu Revue
Episode Number: 37 Season Num: 2 First Aired: December 25, 1959 Prod Code: n/a
Overview Recap Credits Trivia & Quotes Reviews Pre-Show Buzz Discussion < >

Lucille Ball plays herself as the vice-president of Desilu Productions, who is busy readying her workshop of young performers for their musical revue. The performers in this program were actual members of Lucy's Workshop at Desilu Studios, and included film historian Robert Osborne, Carole Cook and Dick Kallman, who later starred in the series "Hank".

From TVparty.com

From our tireless film archivists comes this incredible find - one of the last shows Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz did together, a Christmas special that has never been re-broadcast. That's a real shame, it was a star-studded spectacular that any Lucy fan would find appealing.

On Christmas Day, 1959, The Desilu Playhouse (1958-1960) presented a special Christmas broadcast starring the whole I Love Lucy gang, in addition to the Desilu Players and numerous stars of other popular Desilu productions like George Murphy, Spring Byington, Lassie, Danny Thomas, Hugh O'Brien and Ann Sothern. Even Hollywood hag Hedda Hopper made an appearance!

The wrap-around plot had Hollywood gossip queen Hedda Hopper interviewing Lucy and Desi about the Desilu Players and the show they recently staged. This led to flashbacks of Lucy (who was directing the stage show) creating chaos backstage between the musical numbers.

This Desilu Christmas special was produced and (essentially) directed by Lucille Ball herself. This is the only Desilu production I can think of that features the I Love Lucy cast members playing "themselves."

The juxtaposition of the 'real' Lucy with the Lucy character is slightly confusing and, though Vivian Vance is referred to as "Vivian" here, her personality is basically Ethel's with more attitude.

If you ever get the opportunity to watch this hour-long special, look for the scene where William Frawley (as himself?) tries to pick up one of the young girls in the show. How's this for a come-on: "Miss Lovell, do you feel about older men the way I feel about younger women?"

This program is significant because it's one of the last appearances of the four I Love Lucy cast members together, Lucy and Desi filed for divorce just a few months after this special was filmed. They only appeared together in one more Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Show; they never again acted together on any another TV show.

The Desilu Players was a pet project of Lucille Ball's, who hand-picked each of the versatile performers as her protégés (they actually were appearing in a stage revue that she produced in LA around the time of this broadcast). The musical and comedy numbers from the live show were filmed almost exactly as originally staged, but only the musical numbers ended up in the Christmas special's final edit.

One of those musical numbers ('I'm Only Happy When I'm Singin' the Blues') featured some wild art direction and garnered excellent reviews for the sterling performances by Carole Cook and Dick Kallman as singing/dancing coffeehouse beatniks.

Carole Cook went on to become a life-long friend of Lucy's, appearing on Broadway and several times on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy. Dick Kallman starred in the fondly remembered TV series Hank in 1965. He also embarked on a promising Broadway career before being tragically murdered in his New York apartment in 1980.

Also in the Desilu Playhouse cast: Majel Barrett (Nurse Chappell on Star Trek another Desilu show) and Robert Osborne (the Classic Movie Channel host and erstwhile writer for the Hollywood Reporter).
http://www.tvparty.com/xmaslucy.html

This would be nice included as an extra maybe excluding the musical numbers and just showing the parts with the I Love Lucy cast and the guest stars. I don't think you would consider this as Lucy Ricardo puts on a show.

Lucille Ball also appeared in a drama on the Westinghouse/Desilu Playhouse. It was called K.O. Kitty and airred the week after the Lucy Makes Room for Danny Lucy/Desi show.
This would also be a great extra.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It would be nice if the upcoming set includes (as extras) those 3 and a half minute commercials featuring the Ricardos and Mertzes. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were part of the actual show, but I guess most people wouldn't agree with me on that.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Here is what I have found out, sorry if info allready posted:

Rare Home Movie Footage Of The Set In Color

13 Digitally Remastered Episodes

Full Length Havana Episodes (hasn't been seen since original broadcast)

Deleted Scenes

Flubs

3 Original Ford Motor Co. Comercials

I wonder why the box doesn't meniton about the "I Love Lucy" Movie being included in this set.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Ok, I just seen that LarryP mentioned about the features of this but the "I Love Lucy" version is not mentioned on the cover of the box...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
We Lucy fans would also like the original Westinghouse commercials from "Seasons 8 and 9" in addition to the Ford commercials from "Season 7." I hope they're included.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still a little confused. Does this mean that the missing footage will be included within the episode? Or, as part of the delete scenes (which seemed to be the original idea as mentioned earlier in this topic)?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

When he says "CBS has remastered and restored the show to its original length, and will present it in this new DVD set," I'm interpreting that as meaning the scenes will be included within the episode. I doubt the commercials will be part of the episode, or even the "Stay tuned for the U. S. Steel Hour" from Desi. But maybe they will.

I'm also wondering if the other twelve episodes have been restored to the way they originally were. They were all re-edited to some extent and given new music cues for their summer runs starting in 1962.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks