I love it loud, but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Flink, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if this thread belongs here, but...

I love the dynamic home theater experience you get from a movie like The Matrix and TPM. The "knock the wind out of you" bass and very active surround channels giving you an "in your face" cinematic experience. But how amazing it is to be drawn so completely into a film that is more subtle. Was watching K-PAX and how wonderful it was to be lost in the film because of the quiet detailed surround and the soundtrack. So much of which is never really noticed because we spend so much time in that quest for the BEST demo material.

We all got into home theater for various reasons...but I think most because we love movies. How much better every movie is on even the most modest system. Enjoy the "shoot em up" movies, but I stopped to smell the roses...and they are sweet.

2. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I know what you mean. I have enjoyed movie soundtracks for decades, and think they are really underrated. Unless you are a movie buff, most people haven't thought a bit about how the soundtrack influences your emotions and perception about the visual information. Whether it is subtle or outrageous, the soundtrack is extremely important.

3. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

You know, I realized that this week while watching Training Day. The soundtrack is awesome as most have mentioned, with the streets coming alive in the surrounds. But it wasn't a really bass heavy movie. For a while (although I was too into the movie to do anything about it) I thought something was wrong with my sub. But then a car would drive by playing basshead Rap, and wow! Talk about being caught off guard. Some movies play too much into sound effects too, overexaggerating sounds. I wish my trucks exhaust would sound as deep and rumbling as most movies i have seen. Oh well, I do love that deep bass tho, so you won't hear me complain. Good point Terry

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I have been building my home theater for years, upgrading to better stuff. I now have a set of Paradigm Monitors, which I love. They sometimes sound better than in the theater. At the moment, I am temporarly in an apartment while my new house is being built, so I am down to stereo. I was watching The Fast and the Furious, which is all about loud sound that puts you in the action. In a good 5.1 (with emphsis on the .1) it is an exciting movie, but when I watched it is stereo, it just lacked so much.