I love HDTV ... wow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brajesh Upadhyay, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I finally got a DTC100 & hooked it up to my TW40X81. The geometry & convergence were way off (more so than other modes I'd tweaked before).
    After 3+ hours, I got the geometry & convergence (plus overscan) as good as possible. I turn on PBS HD & wow! [​IMG] ... I was blown away by the 1080i picture quality! It was the same effect as going from tape to laserdisc, then to DVD. I spent all weekend watching even the crappiest shows ('Touched by an Angel' comes to mind) just to experience HD [​IMG].
    I'm hooked! Bring on more HD! To anyone considering HD, just do it!
    ------------------
    Surf on to...
    http://www.geocities.com/best101films

2. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

I know what you mean, and I don't even have an HDTV. I was in Tweeter Etc. in Framingham, MA the other night, and they had a Sony 36XBR400 showing the HD broadcast from the ABC affiliate in Boston. They had on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". I can't stand that show, but I stood there absolutely GLUED to the TV. I don't even know what resolution it was in, but it looked fantastic.
    -Steve

3. Chris_Bellis

Chris_Bellis Auditioning

i hear ya!
    i get WHYY (55) from philly who has been showing the same 3 hour HDTV demo loop since i hooked up my DTC100 2 weeks ago. i must have watched that thing 100 times already. it's got that "looking through a window" effect!
    last night i watch a horrible "hallmark hall of fame" movie on CBS just b/c the picture was incredible. i'm just hoping that good programming beings to crop at the same time that the novelty wears off!
    speaking of GOOD HDTV programming, check out CSI on CBS, NYPD Blue on ABC (in 720p) and the occasional non-made-for-tv movie on CBS and ABC. 2 weeks ago i caught a 720p broadcast of "Courage Under Fire" on ABC and the PQ was amazing! PBS shows the occasional nature specials which are usually only 480p widescreen, but still look great! there was one on last night.
    of course there's always the 480p widescreen shows on fox which look as good as DVD not to mention the final four and the masters on CBS and if you're lucky enough to get HBO-HD the sopranos will be in HD this season. that's reason enough for me to get a dish!
    btw, here's a good link to all the current HDTV programming:
    http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html
    Brajesh - can you tell me what you did to fix the overscan. i seem to only be having the problem when the HD signal is fed to my colorstream HD inputs. if i switch the DTC100 to non-HD output and view through an S-video input, non of the vertical information is lost.
    also, i get 5 channels here in lawrenceville (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS all from philly). how many channels are you getting? which ones? what's your antenna setup?
    chris

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

5. Chris_Bellis

Chris_Bellis Auditioning

Brajesh,
    thanx for the info, i will try your suggestion for the convergence. i have the RS double bow tie antenna and it works great. got it at the QB mall for about 12 bucks!
    btw, channel 55 has a brand new HD demo loop. just watched some excellet night time fly-bys of atlantic city. it looks fantasitc!
    have fun!
    chris

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Chris, are you using that RS double-bowtie antenna indoors or outdoors? I'm considering buying it, but man, it's one ugly antenna.
    Thanks for letting me know about the new HD demo loop on PBS-55.

7. Dinesh

Dinesh Auditioning

Man, I may need your guys help! I'm in Canal Point on Route 1 (behind Market Fair), and using the RS double-bowtie or regular single bowtie I have only been able to get KYW-DT (thank god, at least it's CBS so the super bowl was a success!).
    I have the Silver Sensor on order (expecting it today, actually), but do not have high hopes after so many dissapointments (this is my 4th antenna try). Currently I'm just testing indoors, as experiments running a cord outside, and up into trees and bushes, haven't proved any more successful than the double bowtie in one bedroom window. Since the SS is directional as well, I double I'll be able to do anything outdoors anyway.
    Unfortunately, I'm on the first floor, so I don't get any height indoors, either. Total bummer!
    dinesh

8. Brajesh Upadhyay

Dinesh, welcome to the HTF. I'm surprised you can't pick up any HD channels beside CBS-26. Canal Pointe should be no different than Hamilton or Lawrenceville -- I know someone in Princeton who gets all channels, but he uses an outdoor UHF antenna.
    Maybe the Silver Sensor will give you better results; for me, the signal strength with it is the same no matter which direction I point it. Good luck.

9. Brajesh Upadhyay

Just tried the RadioShack double-bowtie indoor antenna: it works better than the Silver Sensor for me.

10. Dinesh

Dinesh Auditioning

yuck. The Silver Sensor performed worse than the double bowtie when placed indoors near my south-west facing window. But it performed slightly better than the double bowtie when placed outdoors on my porch. I was able to get more, clearer analog signals, but still only KYW in HD (and only from outside).
    I didn't try combining both the bowtie and the silver sensor, maybe i'll do that tonight. I'm also going to look into a channel master amp I guess. And maybe a Hughes STB instead of the RCA.
    sigh. i'm feeling very forsaken.
    anyone have any experience with a manual, telescoping antenna mast to give my antennas some vertical lift? [​IMG]
    dinesh

11. Chris_Bellis

Chris_Bellis Auditioning

guys,
    i feel really guilty here. my OTA setup is working great with minimal fuss and tweaking.
    i have my HT components on a tall rack with my RS double bow-tie on the top (about 5 feet from the floor). it points in the direction of my sliding glass doors which face south. i live in an apartment complex on the first floor. i'm at least 40 miles away from the philly towers and yet i can get CBS(26), FOX(42), PBS(55), ABC(64) and NBC(67) all with signal strength in the 50 to 85 range. i guess i'm one of the lucky ones.
    i haven't been able to get any NY stations nor a NJ PBS station(43) but i don't think the latter is broadcasting anything. can anyone confrim this?
    btw, the RS double bow-tie is UGLY! my girlfriend calls it the brady bunch antenna! but hey, if it works who cares!
    Dinesh, i hear that the TOSHIBA DST3000 does a better job at handling signal strength for OTA. you might want to try one of those units.
    chris