1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I love Blackadder!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Huw Williams, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Andrew,
    Absolutely true.
    Oh, and in the second deries Stephen Fry entered the series, while not before the 3rd we saw Hugh Laurie. They were hilarious, but not as noteworthy as in their later achievements (like the fourth Blackadder, and even more: the Jeeves and Wooster [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] series).
    Cees

2. andrew markworthy

Cees, with respect, Hugh Laurie does appear (albeit briefly) in Blackadder 2, as one of the guests at the drinking party in the 'inheritance' episode. I agree that Jeeves and Wooster was splendid - until the last series, which I felt wasn't as good.

3. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Can someone provide a plot summary for those not yet indoctrinated ? Sounds almost like a Victorian Era "Red Dwarf"....

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Blackadder is a little hard to describe.
    In the first series Edmund, called the Blackadder, is the second son of a (purely fictional) English nobleman who comes to the throne in 1485. He is a cowardly, scheming little weasel who constantly tries to gain the favor of his father and - eventually - the throne itself. This incarnation of the character is probably the least appealing, and much of the humor derives from the depiction of the period and the psuedo-Shakespearean storytelling. I suspect that people familiar with the Bard and/or the Wars of the Roses find this installment funnier than other folks do.
    Blackadder II features Edmund's descendent, also called Edmund, who is a minor courtier dancing attendance on the young (and apparently psychotic) Queen Elizabeth I. This Edmund is not the snivelling coward of the first series, but an egotistical social-climber. In all of Edmund's incarnations he is served (badly) by a bumbling aide always called Baldrick. (And always played brilliantly by Tony Robinson.) In this one Edmund also has another Percy, every bit as stupid as the last one, as his best friend.
    Blackadder the Third picks up the story after the family fortunes have deteriorated considerably, with the current Edmund serving as butler to the Prince Regent in 18th Century London. (For those who don't know much English history, the Prince of Wales was made Regent - effectively acting King - because his father, George III, was thought to be mad and unfit to rule.) This Edmund also has his Baldrick, but Tim McInnerny passed up the chance to play yet another Percy, fearing he would be typecast.
    Blackadder Goes Forth. WWI seems an unlikely subject for humor, but Atkinson and company manage to pull it off. Capt. Edmund Blackadder does his level best to avoid being killed by the idiotic orders of his superiors on the badly-run Western Front.
    There were also several stand-alone specials, which I'm sorry to say I haven't seen.
    For more information on the series go to Blackadder Hall
    Regards,
    Joe

5. Michael_UK

Michael_UK Stunt Coordinator

Blackadder is brilliant!!
    I think the whole lot is comming out on DVD so when it does, I get a copy.

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks Joseph -
    Sounds quite intriguing... and as addicting as Red Dwarf !
    I will definitely pick up a few VHS copies, hopefully the DVD's will be forthcoming.

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    The Complete Blackadder is currently available on both sides of the Atlantic in a handsome DVD collector's set. Unfortunately I haven't been back working long enough to afford $120.00 for something as trivial as a TV show, but you can be sure I'll be buying a copy when I can. (The "complete" set seems to include all four series and the time-travel movie Blackadder Back and Forth, as well as the TV specials "The Cavalier Years" and "Blackadder's Christmas Carol", but not "The King's Birthday" or "The Shakespeare Sketch", which are listed on the Blackadder Hall website. At least the region 1 version doesn't.)
    Regards,
    Joe

9. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

Baldrick, your breath eminates straight from satans bottom.

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Andrew,
    You're absolutely right!
    And I also agree with your verdict on the last ("New York") series. We felt the same. It was rather faithfull to Wodehouse though (who also moved the story to the US).
    Cees

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

12. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

quote: What British programs do you actually get in the USA? Are they well regarded? [/quote]
    Huw,
    Sorry about the delay in responding to your question. My wife was involved in some very serious surgery (she's progressing at the moment) so I'm not able to participate as I normally do, only in bits and pieces to maintain what little sanity I possess.
    My introduction to British programs was, for the most part, via PBS (The Public Broadcasting System) which tends to show all the most popular series, both dramatic and comedy. A few "mainstream" programs like "Benny Hill" also found their way to the non-public channels as well.
    In addition, many of our top series over the years have been "adaptations" of British series. Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this speaks volumes regarding how well British shows are received over here. "All in the Family," "Sanford and Son" and "So You Want to be a Millionaire" immediately come to mind, and I'm sure this merely scratches the surface.
    And now, with a satellite dish, I receive many more stations that show British series. BBC America is one prime example of this.
    Finally, and probably most significant in terms of being able to "study" such series, lots of gems are being released on DVD that I would not have seen otherwise. One good example of this is Michael Crawford's "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" which I stumbled across and found quite enjoyable for a series that aired over 30 years ago. Technically crude, it still has some of the flashes of Mr. Bean and Fawlty Towers, and shows Crawford in his early, pre- Andrew Lloyd Webber days.
    Most refreshing, and a nice change from some of the garbage that eminates from our side of the pond.
    Take care.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

14. RAF

RAF Lead Actor