What's new

I Love a Mystery - Mystery TV Shows (1 Viewer)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Starting in the late 50’s Perry Mason came into our homes each week. It was simple. Someone was unjustly accused of a crime and Perry would not only defend them but solve who dunnit usually during the process of the pre-trial.
The only reason I watched this show as a kid is that my dad always correctly guessed the guilty party within the first 10 minutes. Astounding. I kept hoping he'd stumble just once, but it never happened. When I would ask him how he pulled it off, he'd just smile and tap the side of his head with his forefinger.

I watch the series now because it goes perfectly with my 5:00 martinis, after which I don't care who dunnit.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
For those of you that have never seen a Nero Wolfe, he is a recluse genius that would rather spend time at his home eating and tending his orchards. But to live he must make money so he is a detective with Archie being his eyes and ears as he solves the mysteries from the comfort of his office chair.
Nero's on-going arguments with Fritz (Colin Fox) on how to properly roast an ear of corn or how much time it takes to scramble eggs are absolutely priceless. Plus, I felt as cozy in Nero's office as he did.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Nero's on-going arguments with Fritz (Colin Fox) on how to properly roast an ear of corn or how much time it takes to scramble eggs are absolutely priceless. Plus, I felt as cozy in Nero's office as he did.
If you watched the extended episode from the link I posted - there is the wonderful business with Fritz and the mob on how to make "gravy". The additional stuff in that one makes me really want to see the other longer versions.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez along with a bunch of guest stars steer this fun mystery mini-series spoofing true crime podcasts. When a murder occurs in their apartment building, these unlikely three start investigating along with creating their own podcast.
The apartment building set is the actual star in this sleek series, don't you agree?

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The apartment building set is the actual star in this sleek series, don't you agree?
I just want to know, at the current cost of land on the Island, how they can waste so much room with secret passages. :rolling-smiley:
only-murders-in-the-building-belnord-bn-220629-560b55.jpg

Only Murders in the Building is not my favorite mystery but it is a favorite show because of the cast, smart writing, and yes the cool building. (don't forget the elevator)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree Jeff - except as you know I am a big fan of the Rutherford movies but... It's like the modern Sherlock stuff. I don't really look at Margaret as Miss Marple but just a really fun mystery movie using the Christie framework.

Cheers
That's exactly how I feel. They're not the Miss Marple from the books, but the films themselves are entertaining and loads of fun, and I wouldn't miss owning them. Would love to see Blu-ray versions someday.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Actually Russ when I think about it - a lot of my favorite mysteries build a world that I would like to be in.
The buildings in OMITB or Nero Wolfe or Poirot. The lovely countryside in Agatha Raisin or Marple, the costumes and cars in Miss Fisher.

original.webp

I was lucky to spend some time in the Cotswolds

No question that the surroundings help make a good story better.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
That's exactly how I feel. They're not the Miss Marple from the books, but the films themselves are entertaining and loads of fun, and I wouldn't miss owning them. Would love to see Blu-ray versions someday.
Matt - Britbox has these streaming in HD. I don't know if they really are better but it does hold out hope that someday we might get Blu-rays.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I thought I would post a picture of Nero's office.

1539329_300.jpg

Wolfe_ChaykinHutton2.jpg

We are not the only ones that noticed - here is someone building miniatures.

bandler_Nero5_fs.jpg

And someone else went to the trouble to work out floor plans.
images

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
1675699650779.png

Anytime food is combined with mystery, you'll get my attention (I purposely am not referring to any of the Hallmark Channel foodie-mystery gunk). One of my favorites is this 5-season English series starring rotund Richard Griffiths as Detective Inspector Henry Crabbe--who's much more interested in creating delectable meat pies than putting criminals on ice. Long suffering under the inept supervision of Assistant Chief Constable Freddie Fisher (Malcolm Sinclair), Henry nonetheless is the department's most successful detective, solving mysteries through simple intuition and a calm persistence bordering on nonchalance.

Nearly ready to retire but purposely kept dangling by ACC Fisher, Henry talks his acutely organized but skeptical wife Margaret (Maggie Steed) into opening a true homespun English cafe called Pie In The Sky to help supplement his meager police salary. The kitchen staff comprise a quirky bunch of characters who all bow to Henry's near-magical expertise around a stove. Pair oregano with peaches poached in Prosecco Cava for a unique flavor spiciness--who'da guessed? Chief among the staff is sous chef and ex-con Gary (Nicolas Lamont), perky/sexy waitress Nicola (Samantha Womack) and clumsy produce supplier Leon (Nick Ragget). All are often left to their own devices as Henry is dragged kicking and screaming from his pies to solve some crime that has stumped the entire Westershire police force.

1675700876542.png
1675700978007.png

There's generally more comedy than drama in this show, but don't be fooled that the mysteries are a sideline and easily discarded. Well-written scripts have a level of cleverness coupled with a goodly amount of humanity that raise each premise way above the mundane. Richard Griffiths moves his considerable bulk around with surprising gracefulness and as Henry Crabbe displays a tolerance of foolishness almost like a doting grandfather. It's one of those series that I'm truly sorry to complete, thinking I'll never find another quite as good or satisfying*.

*I recently stumbled upon The Detectorists on Acorn. It's one of the most unique, amusing and well-written series I've ever run across.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Miss Marple (BBC version)
From 1984 to 1992, Joan Hickson put the definitive stamp on Agatha Christie's spinster sleuth, in a series of twelve wonderful BBC adaptations of the Miss Marple novels, all featuring beautiful location filming, terrific casting and witty scripts which “open up” the books well, making a few cosmetic changes from the novels here and there but otherwise staying completely true to their tricky plots and overall spirit. The Miss Marple stories are slightly "cozier" than the Poirots, but Christie's intricate plotting and deft handling of assorted character types remain.

For those unaware, Miss Marple is a bird-like elderly lady who looks like a harmless and innocent old village gossip - which she is, to a certain extent - but who has, as Chief Inspector Slack (played here to deadpan effect by David Horovitch) states, "the mind of a meat cleaver" and who is "a nice-looking, gray-haired cobra sliding about." Miss Marple uses her extensive knowledge of human nature and psychology, gleaned from years of observing the patterns of behavior and the various peccadillos of the residents of her village, St. Mary Mead, to solve assorted murders. She’s an amateur detective, naturally, but such is the power of her criminological brain that she is ultimately consulted by the various police inspectors on the case (in the aforementioned Slack's case, begrudgingly). And as an amateur, she can often inveigle herself into the middle of an investigation without arousing suspicion, being viewed by all and sundry as merely a harmless old busybody.

miss%2Bmarple.png
MissMarple_S1_FI1_1200.jpg

Impecably produced, written and performed, this is top notch Golden Age Detective stuff all the way…and I’ve grown to absolutely love the little lilting ditty that is the “Miss Marple” theme in the BBC series. Whenever it crops up in the incidental music of one of these adaptations, you know Hickson’s “silver-haired cobra” is on the scene, prowling for clues.

There have been Marples before and since, including Margaret Rutherford, Helen Hayes and Angela Lansbury - but as far as I’m concerned, none can hold a candle to Ms. Hickson, with her pitch perfect combination of dithery old bitty act and steely-eyed, implacable machine of justice. (Hickson was Dame Agatha’s own preferred choice for the role, though she didn’t portray the character until well after Christie’s death.) To many fans, Joan Hickson is the definitive Miss Marple, just as Jeremy Brett is the definitive Sherlock Holmes and David Suchet the definitive Poirot. Hickson has an extraordinary stillness about her. Coupled with her piercing, unblinking blue-eyed gaze and sharp, unsentimental intelligence ("a mind like a bacon slicer"), she is the very embodiment of the seemingly nice old lady who sits, observes all and puts two and two together with a ruthless logic. No other actress has come anywhere close to nailing the character as well as Hickson, IHO.

View attachment 174763

After the BBC version concluded, rival channel ITV took up the mantle, to decidedly mixed effect. While still boasting sumptuous production values, the ITV Marple series is seriously flawed both in the casting of Miss Marple and the producers’ mistaken belief that they can better Queen of Crime Christie’s often fiendishly clever mystery plots. Geraldine McEwan (ITV’s first choice as Marple) was far too twee and twinkly, and her successor Julie Mackenzie too sweet and bland. The series played fast and loose with Christie’s plots to detrimental effect, as well as crowbarring Miss Marple into adaptations of novels in which she had never appeared in the first place. This later series remains watchable as slick popcorn fodder, but is a big step down from the BBC version.

As always, one’s mileage may vary. But for me, while the various other film and television adaptations have their merits, only the BBC Joan Hickson version gets every ingredient right. If at all possible, get your hands on the beautifully remastered Blu-Ray sets (all three of which Matt H. has reviewed here for the HTF).

View attachment 174764
Great summary Jeff. Wonderful show with the peerless Joan Hickson, if you read any of the books, you see Joan in the prose, my favourite is Nemesis. The films have a nice opening theme and look fantastic on blu ray.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
View attachment 174843

Anytime food is combined with mystery, you'll get my attention (I purposely am not referring to any of the Hallmark Channel foodie-mystery gunk). One of my favorites is this 5-season English series starring rotund Richard Griffiths as Detective Inspector Henry Crabbe--who's much more interested in creating delectable meat pies than putting criminals on ice. Long suffering under the inept supervision of Assistant Chief Constable Freddie Fisher (Malcolm Sinclair), Henry nonetheless is the department's most successful detective, solving mysteries through simple intuition and a calm persistence bordering on nonchalance.

Nearly ready to retire but purposely kept dangling by ACC Fisher, Henry talks his acutely organized but skeptical wife Margaret (Maggie Steed) into opening a true homespun English cafe called Pie In The Sky to help supplement his meager police salary. The kitchen staff comprise a quirky bunch of characters who all bow to Henry's near-magical expertise around a stove. Pair oregano with peaches poached in Prosecco Cava for a unique flavor spiciness--who'da guessed? Chief among the staff is sous chef Gary (Nicolas Lamont), perky/sexy waitress Nicola (Samantha Womack) and produce supplier Leon (Nick Ragget). All are often left to their own devices as Henry is dragged kicking and screaming from his pies to solve some crime that has stumped the entire Westershire police force.

View attachment 174844 View attachment 174846

There's generally more comedy than drama in this show, but don't be fooled that the mysteries are a sideline and easily discarded. Well-written scripts have a level of cleverness coupled with a goodly amount of humanity that raise each premise way above the mundane. Richard Griffiths moves his considerable bulk around with surprising gracefulness and as Henry Crabbe displays a tolerance of foolishness almost like a doting grandfather. It's one of those series that I'm truly sorry to complete, thinking I'll never find another quite as good or satisfying*.

*I recently stumbled upon The Detectorists on Acorn. It's one of the most unique, amusing and well-written series I've ever run across.
Well Russ you did it again. I gotta take another look at this one. We watched the first one some time ago and it just didn't take. I don't know why. We'll definitely have to give this one another try.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
That looks like the set from "Masterpiece Theatre".
Ha! It does. But Nero was there first. Here is the description by Rex Stout, the author from 1949.

"The office is large and nearly square. In the far corner to the left (as you enter from the hall) a small rectangle has been walled off to make a place for a john and a washbowl — to save steps for Wolfe. The door leading to it faces you and around the corner, along its other wall, is a wide and well cushioned couch.

In furnishings the room has no apparent unity but it has plenty of character. Wolfe permits nothing to be in it that he doesn't enjoy looking at, and that has been the only criterion for admission. The globe is three feet in diameter. Wolfe's chair was made by Meyer of cardato. His desk is of cherry, which of course clashes with the cardato, but Wolfe likes it. The couch is upholstered in bright yellow material which has to go to the cleaners every three months. The carpet was woven in Montenegro in the early nineteenth century and has been extensively patched. The only wall decorations are three pictures: a Manet, a copy of a Corregio, and a genuine Leonardo sketch. The chairs are all shapes, colors, materials, and sizes. The total effect makes you blink with bewilderment at the first visit, but if you had Archie's job and lived there you would probably learn to like it."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
View attachment 174843

Nearly ready to retire but purposely kept dangling by ACC Fisher, Henry talks his acutely organized but skeptical wife Margaret (Maggie Steed) into opening a true homespun English cafe called Pie In The Sky to help supplement his meager police salary. The kitchen staff comprise a quirky bunch of characters who all bow to Henry's near-magical expertise around a stove. Pair oregano with peaches poached in Prosecco Cava for a unique flavor spiciness--who'da guessed? Chief among the staff is sous chef and ex-con Gary (Nicolas Lamont), perky/sexy waitress Nicola (Samantha Womack) and clumsy produce supplier Leon (Nick Ragget). All are often left to their own devices as Henry is dragged kicking and screaming from his pies to solve some crime that has stumped the entire Westershire police force.

View attachment 174844 View attachment 174846

I picked up a copy of this one several years ago... and it's been languishing on the shelf ever since just waiting for me to find "the right time" to pop it in. It was a complete blind buy based solely on reviews and that my wife and I really enjoy British mystery programs. I really need to cure that shelf-bound status...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I recently caved and purchased the Mill Creek release of "Hart to Hart: The Movie Collection" in spite of having watched the entire series not long ago and feeling it really hasn't held up all that well. My wife and I watched it "first run" and enjoyed it. Rather light, frothy, and "romantically cute" I found I didn't care for it as much as I recalled. It was a bit predictable and too "cute" for its own good with stories that often felt padded, even at an hour. Because of that I'd pretty much written off the movies as I'm normally not a fan of tele-movies but when that set came up for ~$10... well... I made the purchase anyway. After all... there are 8 movies in the set.

I watched the first of them, Hart to Hart Returns, last night.

I felt the series was often padded to fill its meager 60 minute time slot. This thing felt like a 30 minute story padded to movie length. The overall PQ also wasn't very good, being somewhat dark and soft. Lots of gratuitous scenes with Max and a new dog with the same name (really didn't pay attention to where the original "Freeway" went) that were incredible lame just added to my misery watching this "movie." A few of the guest stars were decent enough and made it mostly watchable with Mike Connors (Mannix) being the primary reason to watch this one. The mystery was, like most of the series outings, rather predictable once it finally became the point of the show. I can say for sure I won't be repeat watching this one any time soon, if at all.

Since the disc is still loaded and there are 2 movies on it, I'll be watching the 2nd tonight.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Mr. & Mrs. Murder – 2013

mrandmrsmurder_avatar

There have been some great husband and wife crime solvers. Nick and Nora in the Thin Man. Pam and Jerry as Mr. and Mrs. North, Stuart and Sally as McMillian and Wife, and more recently Jonathan and Jennifer – the Harts. Well we can add a new couple to the list…Nicola and Charlie Buchanan in Mr. & Mrs. Murder.

I’ve already said that we love lighthearted mysteries. This Australian production has some good mysteries along with a lot of fun byplay. The couple, played by Shaun Micallef and Kat Stewart, own a forensic cleaning company. They go in after a crime to clean up the mess left behind when the police are through with the scene. In the process of cleaning they discover clues and “help” the police solve the unsolvable.

The couple’s byplay keeps the story moving along and adds some really funny stuff but the mysteries are really pretty good. Unfortunately this only ran for one 13 episode season.

The series is running on Acorn but currently you can watch it for free on Ovation on the web along with a lot of other mysteries if you quality for Ovation Now. (Apparently you have to have a provider that shows Ovation network)
https://www.ovationtv.com/

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I mentioned Ovation Network so I should also mention Ovation Network Mystery Alley.
https://ovationtv.com/collections/mystery-alley/

Anyone with internet can watch (currently)
Murdoch Mysteries
Cracked
Republic of Doyle
Sue Thomas F.B. EYE
The Fall
Catching Milat
Blood and Water
The Bletchely Circle
Midsomer Murders
Crossing Lines

Cheers (That's Cheers like Happy Days not the series Cheers and Happy Days like all is good not the series Happy Days <_< )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks