I like Zoolander

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Leggatt, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

I will admit it, I bought a copy of this movie and I like it. I thought this movie was silly and stupid but it just kept making me laugh.

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I usually like Ben Stiller movies but I had the opposite reaction to this one. There were just too many "uncomfortable silences" in this one for me. That's the silence you hear when its clear you are supposed to be laughing. I sold it on half.com a day after watching it.

Brian

3. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

I saw it in the theater and liked it, mainly because im a big Ben stiller and Owen wilson fan.

4. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I saw it in theaters and loved it

picked it up on dvd and don't regret it at all

the deleted scenes were pretty weak, as in not overly funny, but i guess that's why they were cut.

i don't know, this movie got trashed pretty badly but everyone i've seen it with loved it

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

You know, I really did not find this film that funny, but I loved the cinematography. One great looking DVD, with outstanding vibrant colors. Owen Wilson seems to always deliver a good performance too.

6. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

7. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

I really like Ben Stiller.

Zoolander was just plain silly, in an Austin Powers sort of way. I really enjoyed Will Ferrel in this movie.

It's a rental. 10 - 16 year old kids, they will LOVE this movie.

8. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

Sorry--Laughed my butt off at the Orange Mocha Frappacino moment!

r

9. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I thought this movie was very funny. I love Ben Stiller (and his Dad!). I bought it and dont regret it.

I kept looking at Owen's nose and thinking 'How could he be a top model ('There Hansel! He's so Hot right now!') with that small animal curled up on his face?

Funny flick.

Marc

10. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

It's a rental....and only if everything else is out.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since it looks as if the movie itself is the topic here, let's move the thread over to "Movies." Hold tight. ...

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I was really disappointed. I like Stiller but thought he and his accent were on the weak side of things in this film.

Wilson was still pretty solid as always.

Will Ferrell did make me laugh, he is always great. I just like his type of comedy.

Half the time I thought the film was terrible, the other half I was laughing pretty hard. Ends up averaging out to a "blah" experience for me.

But I know a lot of people did like it.

13. Aaron Croft

Aaron Croft Stunt Coordinator

This movie was pretty funny.. watched it Monday night at a freinds house and it consistantly entertained me and made me laugh. I especially liked Will Farrell's performance (as always), and of course Owen Wilson. Hehehe... I especially liked the jokes that seamed to be aimed at "The Fast and the Furious"...

-Aaron

14. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

The movie had its moments.
    Like Seth, I didn't think Stiller's accent added to the character - it was distracting.
    And what's with this current trend of printing the name onscreen after someone makes an appearance? I know it's friggin' David Bowie! (If someone couldn't recognize Bowie but his face, his style or his voice, or the song - Should have played some Ziggy Stardust instead - , would they get the joke anyways?) Saw this same condescension with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and the introduction of Nutt Cruncher, or whatever. Did that many people really not catch that that was Mark Hamill?! (I did hear the commentary where Smith said that the text was added after screen tests, but is it really necessary to cater to the dumbest denominator? I mean come one, it ruins it for the rest of us. IMO)
    Zoolander is a definate rental for me.

15. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

Will Ferrel is one of the best comedic actors out there, he was great in The Ladys Man and I thought he was great in this one to. I didn't mind Stiller's accent at all, it just made me think he was really stupid which is what I think they were going for.

16. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I thought it was pretty funny.

I also thought the Orange Frappachino scene was hysterical...Especially the:

following gasoline fight...what a bunch of morons.

17. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed this movie too. Very funny stuff sometimes.
    I like the parody they have on awarsshows in the beginning.. Brilliant!! Then I Really like the bit:
    "...Yeah, FOR ANTPEOPLE!!"
    Totally Stupid but Funny!!!
    [​IMG]

18. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

For some oddball reason, "Zoolander" has always clicked with me. I think the biggest plus behind this movie is such a fuss is made over Zoolander and Hansel (Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson) being the two UGLIEST looking models in the world, yet are championed at things like the VH1 Fasion Awards. [​IMG]
    I haven't liked Stiller in everything ("Meet The Parents" I have never cared for), but I love his interpretation of Derek here. Owen Wilson is even crazier as Hansel, who is all tripped out on drugs and always going on long vacations. And who can resist Will Ferrell who does full camp mode better than anyone else?
    Of course, the film is not without its faults (the only reason Derek had roommates was that so they could get killed as a plot device to move the film along) but has a wicked sense of humour and some funny references.
    Oh, and I have the DVD. It's really, really, really, really ridiculously good looking. [​IMG]
    Jason

19. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I must say, I laughed hardest at this film during the 2001 spoof with Stiller and Wilson beating at the computer and screeching like monkeys [​IMG].
    -Tom

20. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

I didn't want anybody to have to write the eugoogoly for this thread yet. [​IMG]
    I chuckled alot during this one.
    And it was a really, really, really good looking DVD.
    Definitely not for everyone though.
    I'm just a silly bastard.