I like the Apples In Stereo...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Greg Smith, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Extra

what other groups would I like?

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

3. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Damn Matt! I was just about to chime in with the very same suggestion.[​IMG]

4. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

you obviously have great taste Brian [​IMG]

5. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

And I'll offer a few more suggestions:

Starlight Mints - The Dream That Stuff Was made Of

Toploader - Onka's Big Moka

Teenage Fanclub - Howdy!

Spoon - Girls Can Tell

Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life

Sloan - Pretty Together

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

Guided By Voices - Isolation Drills

Cosmic Rough Riders - Enjoy The Melodic Sunshine

Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees

The Waxwings - Low To The Ground

Cherry Twister - At Home With Cherry Twister

What do the above albums have in common with Apples In Stereo? They all are very much influenced by the music of the 60's and 70's, but at the same time sounding very fresh and current. IMO, you can't go wrong with any of the above.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Yeah, good call Mat. All of Beulah's records are great (better than Apples!).

Brian's list is comprised of good bands/albums, but if you buy Spoon's great "Girls Can Tell" expecting the Elephant 6 sound of Apples in Stereo, you're going to be disappointed-- and certainly with GBV's "Isolation Drills." They ROCK-- but don't have the 60's psych sound of the Elephant Six collective (the group that produced the Apples and a bunch of other bands).

Some other bands more in the Apples line are Neutral Milk Hotel (In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is brilliant) and Dressy Bessy, which I believe contains one or two members of the Apples. They have a new record coming out this week or next. The Olivia Tremor Control is a little more out there and less melodic, but it is another of the Elephant Six collective.

7. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

The latest Apples In Stereo CD (....Moone") is one of the tastiest pop confections I've ever heard. As good as this band was before, they really outdid themselves - EVERY song is great!

8. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Yeah, I expanded on the sound a bit! But I wasn't just going for bands that sound very much like The Apples. Just thought Greg might want to check into some of those albums, all of which are very good, most of which have a sort of retro feel.

9. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Beulah's latest album is a great one. I assume you have The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. If not, go buy it immediately!

I'd also recommend picking up the CD with Big Star's first two albums on it.

10. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Extra

Thanks all!

I've heard the Beulah album..."Hello Resolven" is just a superior, fantastic song.

I'm going to sample a bit of all of those...always looking for more music!

BTW, I've been listening to Beautiful Freak by the Eels...melodic but harder than the Apples in Stereo. Darker, but definitely worth a listen.

As an aside, I'm one of those people (there are others, right?!?) that listened almost solely to the Beatles and Pink Floyd growing up. To me noboby could compare to the "every song is great" fiat that the Beatles pulled off every time.

Lately though I've been taking in suggestions from forums such as these and posters such as you folks and my musical horizons have just exploded. Apples In Stereo, Blur, Velvet Underground, Air, even Disraeli Gears by Cream...thank goodness for suggestions!

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

You should check out The Circulatory System (the better half of the former Olivia Tremor Control). I couldn't find their new/debut cd in anystore (online or otherwise) but found a sealed copy on Ebay for $11.

It is my latest favorite record.

Black Foliage by the Olivia Tremor Control is also worth listening to.

I would also suggest the following:

Anything by the band Home (mid-late 90's from Florida).

Oddysey & Oracle by The Zombies (1967)

Friends-20/20 by The Beach Boys (1968)...get the latest remaster, the old version sounds like mud.

12. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Brian....did you ever get a chance to check out The Orange Humble Band? Knowing most of the great stuff you've mentioned...it would be a shame if you missed this one. Ear candy extraordinare!

You guys into the pop confections listed in this thread...check The Orange Humble Band! Only one CD (so far), it's titled Assorted Creams.

Jon

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

If Apples in Stereo put out an album in multi-channel SACD or DVD-Audio, would they change their name? Somehow, Apples in Multi-channel just doesn't sound right. [​IMG]

14. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Jon--I have not heard The Orange Humble Band yet. Did you recommend them to me before? If so I let it slip by. But I will definitely check them out. Sounds like they are right up my alley. Thanks.

So much music...so little money!

15. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Jon--Just checked Amazon.com on Orange Humble Band, and it appears that "Assorted Creams" is only available as an import at $24. And apparently they put out another album last year, "Humblin' (Across America)" that is also available only as an import, but cheaper...$17.50.

Man, they are a virtual supergroup with Ken Stringfellow (The Posies), Daryl Mather (The Someloves), producer Mitch Easter, Jamie Hoover (The Spongetones...I think), and Big Star drummer Jody Stephens. Wow! Quite a lineup.

Any idea on where to get "Assorted Creams" for a decent price?

16. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Miles of Music lists Humblin' (Across America) for $16, Assorted Creams for $15, and Down in Your Dreams for $8. Not familiar with the band, but I've had good service from this company.

17. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I completely forgot to mention Elf Power, another great Elephant 6 band. They rock a bit more than the Apples in Stereo, but the low-fi cool sound is somewhat similar. "The Winter Is Coming" is really, really great, one of the best of 2000.

18. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Greg,
    I had to chime in with a suggestion for the 20+ year-old pop band XTC (or their alter-egos, the Dukes of Stratosphear) - if you haven't heard them before and want something "pop-confectionary", I would recommend Nonsuch, Wasp Star or Oranges & Lemons. This is assuming you haven't heard them before, or have only heard "Skylarking". XTC is one of the Apples' stated influences.
    Andy Partridge of XTC is apparently working out a long-distance musical collaboration with with Robert Schneider (of A.I.S.) as we type. Interesting to see what would come of that...
    ~Steve

19. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Greg--Another one you might want to check out if you haven't already is Built To Spill's "Ancient Melodies of the Future"...great album, with a "60's psych sound" to it similar to The Apples. I am listening to it now and I thought about this thread and wanted to recommend it to you. Darn good album IMO.

20. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Extra

Digging up an old thread.

I have listened to some of the albums that were recommended and am still looking for the others. Hard to go wrong with referrals.

Starlight Mints - These guys are awesome. Very refreshing sound...strings, great drums, inventive tunes. Recommended.

Built To Spill - Different but likeable.

Olivia Tremor Control - Good stuff.

Beachwood Sparks - My kind of music. The lead singer is a guy? Very female-ish voice. The tunes are hummable and the "California Country" is certainly new to me. Also recommended.

Music Tapes - some is border-line unlistenable, while some is quite catchy. Unlistenable because it is unfinished, and catchy because some of it is clearly good material not developed to its potential. Looking for something different? Look no further.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm still looking around for all of the recommendations...been trying to find Waxwings for a while now.

Enjoy the holidays!!