I laid down yesterday and unfortunately ..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_D, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

.... I was riding my motorcycle at the time.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jawjabill....src=ph&.view=
    Went to the hospital to get checked out & no broken bones or
    spinal trauma and the jewels are intact as well. Just a sprained ankle,
    twisted knee, bruised ego & $1500 in damage.
    I believe I hit a patch of loose gravel or something and I
    went into a slide and lost control. Funny thing is I remember
    the bike starting to slip and then seeing the bike
    from a different vantage point: 15 feet away on my butt. I
    don't remember being tossed or thrown or any sort of
    tumbling. Although when I woke up this morning my body told
    me something went on.
    All in all, I am quite happy to be sitting around with a
    bruised body posting on the HTF.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

we're all glad you're not seriously hurt...those things (motorcycles) are very dangerous!

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I assume you were wearing propper gear at the time (and I don't man a helmet, tshirt and gloves [​IMG]) I didn't see any frame sliders on the bike, you never know, they might have saved the plastics in a low speed get off. Glad to hear you're OK and didn't get punted into traffic or a telephone poll.
    the bike looks fairly new, it isn't your first bike is it?

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Yeah, you are very lucky to just have a sprain and bruises. Motorcycles have always scared the crap out of me. How fast were you going anyway? Sorry about to hear about the damage to the wallet, ouch, but glad to have you with us, safe indoors [​IMG]

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A helmet, t shirt and gloves would be more protection than many of the locals I see cruising. At times a group of twenty or so college aged people are in one pack with not one of them wearing a helmet. You'll never catch me on a motorcycle, if that had been my primary transportation I'd have been paralysed or more likley killed long ago.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

ugh. in north dakota a helmet isn't even required. I think I have as much $ in riding gear for differnt conditions as I do in my bike. At the very least I go with boots, jeans, an armored jacket (usually leather but it's been pretty hot so I've had to wear a mesh textile thing) gloves, and a helmet. I RARELY see people wearng helmets here. Shorts, t shirts, sandels or no shirt at all is common [​IMG] people are just dumb sometimes.

7. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Not my first bike at all but my first sport bike. I am a
    cruiser type of guy at heart but I want a real one: Harley!
    This bike is last year's model and about 6 months old.

Helmets are the law in GA and I had full leathers on with
    armor. Although I have been riding cycles since about 5
    years old, I went to a defensive class recently to learn
    how to fall off. As stated above, I don't remember using
    any of the techniques but did OK with the Big Guy looking
    out for me.

I don't have a clue how fast I was going and I guess I need
    to look into sliders while I am having the bike fixed.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

somethin to try, intuitive race products makes a fairly decent product, run you about 100 bucks for frame and swingarm sliders. I think on teh gixxer you have to drill about a 2.5" hole in the right fairing however, it sounds much worse than it really is [​IMG]
    glad you had leathers on. Even more glad it isn't your first bike, see too many new riders on race replica 600's (after all it's ONLY a 600 nevermind the 100hp [​IMG] )
    allthough.. harley?!? ugh [​IMG] can we at least talk you into a metric cruiser? VTX or warrior? [​IMG]
    I love riding by the local harley shop on my aprilia, the itialin V twin with nice pipes sounds SO much better than a lumpy HD [​IMG]

9. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Philip:
    http://f.chtah.com/i/33/124781749/Harly.html
    This is the Harley I'm talking about. I would say it
    is in the same class as the VTX. Of the Hondas, I prefer
    the riding characteristics and styling of the Valkyrie.
    I am considering a "metric cruiser" simply based on the
    bang for the buck theory.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

A friend of mine did a head on with a car (car was totaled!).
    When he came to, the police were drawing chalk marks around his body!
    He had bought a top of the line helmet earlier, which he insists saved his life
    Pretty incredible!
    Glad you escaped in one piece!!

11. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

12. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Bill, happy to hear you're in one piece. I wear either full leathers (or my armoured textile jacket and pants), kevlar gloves, riding boots and a good helmet!
    And to those who claim motorcycles are dangerous, so is getting out of bed. It's all about risk and what you do to mitigate that risk. Wearing the proper gear, being defensive and picking your spots (i.e. not riding like Nicky Hayden in city traffic) can go a long way to prolonging your life. There are so many squids out there killing themselves that are skewing the accident stats.
    I love the looks of the Harley V-ROD but don't plan on putting more than a couple hours at a time in the saddle, I hear they are very uncomfortable.
    BTW, I just traded in my '99 VFR for a new FZ1.[​IMG]

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

terry- congrats on the wheels! that'll be fun [​IMG]
    Bill- the valk. is pretty cool [​IMG] a buddy of mine has a honda shadow 1100 that's living in my garage for the summer (rent free I might add [​IMG]) neither is really my cup of tea, but honda builds a nice bike regardless. Did you read about the V-rod recall? they had somewhere around 150 of them that they replaced the engines in because they weren't making the HP they should have been for some reason.

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Glad you did well in the get-off. Protective gear is worth its weight in gold (though I'm glad it doesn't cost that much!). I never ride without gear head to toe.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My neighbor was splitting traffic about a 2 weeks ago, I saw him go by while I was sitting in there. I get to the next light and traffic has stopped suddenly. I'm about 5 cars from the intersection, and 2 of the three lanes have stopped completely, eventhough it is a green light. After a few minutes, paramedics come and traffic is directed around the incident. As I come around the first cars, I see that it is indeed my neighbor. He is laying in the middle of the intersection while they work on him and his bike is badly damaged. I talked to him recently, he was splitting slow traffic when someone changed lanes in front of him, he went over the top of the car and landed on his left hip, breaking his pelvis. 10+ weeks of healing for him. Fortunately, traffic was heavy, so he was not hit subsequently. A costly, and potentially deadly game he was playing. Fortunately he is still around.

16. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Glad to see you are ok Bill. Everyone I know who owns a motorcycle has been hurt one time or another.

A friend of mine from high school lost control of his bike similar to you, but was not so fortunate. He ended up being thrown at a metal sign which esenttialy cut his body in half. 20 years old missing one leg completely, a stump for another, and no sexual organs remaining. Not a good way to spend the rest of your life.

I know alot of motorcycle drivers are safe, but that still does not protect you from the other people on the road with cars. No motorcycles for me.

J

18. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

I don't feel motorcycles are dangerous, it's the other people I share the road with who are dangerous. When I was at the bank getting a bank draft for my new bike, the teller told me motorcycles were dangerous. I had to bite my tongue from saying "And so are holdups!".

My point is that anything is potentially dangerous. When I ride I assume that I'm invisible. I trust no-one. It's saved me a few times. Riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car, but I believe a lot of motorcycle related deaths may be the result of inexperience and riding beyond ones ability. I enjoy motorcycling and I assume the risks. But I take every opportunity to avoid unnecessary risk.

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

John Garcia, that's why lane splitting is illegal in most states. I personally think that it's a dangerous paractice and I've never done it or really wanted to, but it's actively encouraged in California.