I know you're all pissed at WB (re: Wonka, CatsNDogs, SouthPark, etc)......However...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_McKittrick, Aug 15, 2001.

1. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

I salute them for taking their stance against a greater evil......BlockBuster Video.
    I have yet to see any other studio voice their total support and join forces with this company on what could be a greater change than having family films be in P&S. Are they right in doing this?? No. Should they take the time to have both WS and PS?? Yes. But to me rental pricing is a greater issue. P&S could be even a bigger problem if rental pricing becomes a reality and we're bashing the only studio that's fighting with us.
    Have you guys even read the comments on the petition?? People saying things like "Fuck you no sale you big stupid bunch of assholes" is not going to get us anywhere and this forum could seriously lose alot of credibility in the eyes of not only Warner but other studios and execs as well. Perhaps Warner is marketing to the right crowd.
    Chill for Chrisakes!!
    John

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    John,
    I do agree about the responses(the cussing) The most I have ever said was "kiss off".
    I also think that Warner doesn't care about what we feel.
    I've called twice to W.B. and all I get is an answering machine and the operator that directs you to the machine has a "MAJOR" ATTITUDE!
    ------------------

3. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

I'm sorry but I feel that WS vs. P&S is a greater issue than rental pricing because if the only version available is P&S I won't be renting or buying, period.
    ------------------
    Trevor Harder
    My HT Page
    [email protected]

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...nothing altruistic about their BB stance-they just see a way to make even more money, and knocking BB off this game of 'King of the Mountain' ...1.5 cheers for them punching out BB...its only incidental that it may in the short run help the consumer...and then again maybe not...more like 2 scumbags fighting each other over our dollars...
    ------------------

5. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

What about those individuals who grew up with having that film, that theme, in their hearts? Films can make an individual become what they are today.
    Movies INSPIRE people, inspire me. It is what keeps me happy from all the negativity in this small blue world.
    You gotta understand, we have a right to express the way we feel. They are taking movies that we grew up with, and smashing our hearts. And we're the fucking ones that made Warner what the are today! It was US!!! If if wasn't for us, they wouldn't be on the high ladder. We supported them, we helped them in the dawn of the beginning era of the DVD medium, and this is the way they repay us?
    Do you think I have a right to feel happy or good knowing that they are catering only now to Pan and Scam people and forgetting about the widescreen folks.
    PISSFUL I say PISSFUL.

6. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

2 TIER RENTAL PRICING SHOULD NOT EXIST and P&S SHOULD BE A FEATURE OR AN OPTION, NOT A COMPULSORY CHOICE.
    Now, politeness should remain indeed but tough criticism too!

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Will rental pricing piss me off when it happens...yes.
    Will it affect my purchasing choices...NO
    Will Pan and Scan releases piss me off...HELL YES
    Will it affect my purchasing choices...HELL YES!!!!
    If only studios kept WS only and actually educated the consumer on the benefit instead of just giving in to every moron who wants to use every inch of their screen even if it is half of the movie.
    ------------------

8. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

If a DVD is released in P&S only, I won't be renting OR buying it. I do applaud WB for taking a stand to BB, but at this point its like choosing the lesser of two evils. I don't step into BB anymore, and as it stands right now, I won't be buying any of Warner's DVDs unless things change.
    ------------------
    Crash
    "I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

It might be nice, but I'm not buying WB movies again. I have Goonies preordered and that will be it. This is the end of the line. They are spitting in our faces and I'm not going to take it. There are too many DVDs in my collection and on their way for me to waste my time with WB.
    You have lost a customer.

10. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

John,
    Warner wants Video on Demand - Warner believes the rental outlets will be history in the next few years. This is just the first step in disolving Blockbuster etc. Expect less Warner product on DVD.

11. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Mark and Greg, you both hit the nail on the head.
    It's very exciting that someone is standing up to BB. But Warner is only doing it because it's in their financial interest to break free from this rental monopoly. The fact that sticking it BB is something we want is purely coincidental. If WB gets it's way, home video will disappear all together. Sure you can just use Video on Demand instead of going to the video store, but forget about owning anything. Why should they let you pay for something once, when you can pay for it over and over?
    Like the majority of corporations around the world, WB is only interested in making money. If they thought setting consumers on fire would result in greater year end profits, they'd do it.
    Now look, there's nothing wrong with wanting to, attempting to or succeeding in making money, as long as it's not at the expense of the product.
    Look at Warner's films from the last few months. 3000 Miles to Graceland, Exit Wounds, Driven, See Spot Run, Swordfish, Valentine, Sweet November, Miss Congeniality, Red Planet.
    Angel Eyes, Cast & Dogs and Osmosis Jones are mediocre at best. And what do we have to look forward to? Summer Catch and American Outlaws! [​IMG] (Some might point to A.I. as one good film they made, but that was 100% Spielberg and you know it.)
    I haven't forgotten Ocean's Eleven or Harry Potter at the end of the year, but the former case is the same as A.I., with a big name director the studio handles with kid gloves. The latter, well, they're bound to screw up once in a while and make a good film. (And if the Harry Potter DVD is anything other than p&s only, I'll eat my shoe.)
    [Edited last by Randall Dorr on August 16, 2001 at 01:47 AM]

12. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

"I have yet to see any other studio voice their total support and join forces with this company on what could be a greater change than having family films be in P&S."
    This is subjective. I don't agree - one problem deals with patience, one problem deals with non-availibility. I can wait a while, but I can't afford to strike my own widescreen HD Master and press my own disc.
    "Have you guys even read the comments on the petition?? People saying things like "Fuck you no sale you big stupid bunch of assholes" is not going to get us anywhere and this forum could seriously lose alot of credibility in the eyes of not only Warner but other studios and execs as well."
    That's highly possible, but you'd really have to dig to prove it was an HTF member. And, if you look around, no other Studio needs to read that thread - they "get" it. Hell, even MGM is making headway and being honest when they aren't.
    "Perhaps Warner is marketing to the right crowd."
    If you really believe that, I'm sure that crowd has their own forum for ya [​IMG]
    "Chill for Chrisakes!!"
    Some might call that offensive, also. To me, no. But I realize that this forum is for adults.
    And when you start screwing with the collectors, you're not just talking "X" amount of DVD's vs. J6P - you are talking about slowing the need for all those widescreen tv's and HD Satellite recievers and projectors and speaker upgrades and you might as well flush any HT magazines, because they will have less and less to review, because who's going to read them if they don't tout the advantage of Pan & Scan. Don't even mention how much the Networks have dumped into HDTV because they had to/wanted to. The point is, there's a lot more money involved in our hobby and satisfaction thereof than just the immediate purchase. For every dollar of a DVD, there's some more coming down the pike to optimize its enjoyment - repeatedly! HT-related companies live for this.
    With that much money at stake, I don't feel predisposed to thank Warner for merging with a lackluster internet company and not "dancing with the one that brung ya'". Blockbuster has done enough to not help itself lately where we don't need to thank Warner. It's sad that once mighty DVD proponent Warren Lieberfab has gone from DVD Hero to (quitely disgruntled, I'm sure) AOL Internet frontman. They're both competing for the same "rental" dollar, no matter what format - nothing more, nothing less.
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

13. alan-g

alan-g Auditioning

Hi Guys,
    I've just been informed that "Roadshow" will be releasing this title in a Widescreen 16x9 version with heaps of extras exclusive to the region 4 release.
    These companies have these various versions and then they wonder why the dvd fan gets annoyed.
    Warner need to get their act together.

14. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Warner's fight against rental pricing and BlockBuster is nothing if they can't get the release right in the first place.
    If it is not available in OAR, then as far as I am concerned, it is not available at all.
    I will buy a Warner release if it is done right. What message would not buying their OAR releases send? They'd just say that people are waiting for a P&S release.

15. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer