I know this is off topic but this forum is much more responsive. dvd-tv ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

O.K. I just went tv shoping for a television to watch dvd's on with my upcoming system. I cant justify a hdtv with my budget (7-800.00) I am planning on either getting a flat or regular 32" with component out. Here is my confusion. I noticed looking at the dvd's that a good majority of them are in widescreen mode. Does this mean that they ONLY do widescreen mode? The guys there told me the majority of dvd's have ONLY widescreen mode. If this is true, that is crazy. So in order to not have the black lines on top and bottom you have to own a $$$$$$$tv with widescreen mode? I then noticed some of the tv's have v-compression (16x9). How much does this actually help (if possible, be specific)? Please tell me that I am mistaken and these dvd's have a regular screen size option for people who cant afford these $$$$tv's. I really dislike those black lines.

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

those black lines are preserving original aspect ratio. something that is considered a good thing around these parts...

and i think the vertical compression is supposed to make things look better

3. Todd smith

So are you telling me that the majority of people just deal with the black lines? It is fine if the majority of people here prefer those lines for the authentic experiece, but I know there are those who dont. For those who dont, are we just stuck with it?

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

6. Todd smith

I am sorry I put this in the speaker forum, but you guys respond quick. Do most major stores that sell dvd's offer 2 seperate editions (pan and scan and widescreen)if pan and scan is not an option on the widescreen edition? At best buy, I looked to see if there were non widescreen editions in addition to the widescreen version and I did not see any. But I could have missed them. Do most people just view the dvd with the lines???? I cant beleive this doesnt bother more people than me.

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

8. Patrick Fitzgerald

Patrick Fitzgerald Auditioning

V-compression (16x9) vastly improves picture quality - but only when watching anamorphic DVDs. Since you seem to hate the "black bars", I suggest getting a 4x3 television that supports v-compression. That way you'll get maximum picture size when watching TV and non-widescreen DVDs (yuck!), and when watching widescreen DVDs you'll get some extra clarity in the picture (that somewhat makes up for the loss of screen size).

9. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Todd:

You will find most of the members of this forum want to preserve the OAR (original aspect ratio) of the film - meaning they don't mind having black bars.

I am one of the "rare" members that isn't fond of black bars. Simple solution. Buy any "regular-shaped" TV you want and then get yourself a basic Toshiba DVD player ($125-150). The Toshiba players have a 4-level zoom that gets rid of the bars. You lose small right & left parts of the movie, but the picture stays sharp and you will be much happier.

Good Luck.

Rich B.

10. Todd smith

WOW! Talk about an eye opener! I did not know a thing about pan and scan and widescreen until tonight. I can now see the reason to view widescreen (politically correct) movies and there really is more to be gained then lost. Thank you for the link and opening up my eyes. I apologize for my ignorance, but like I said I had no idea. So basically when I watch a movie on cable and it sais this movie has been formated to fit your screen, etc, etc, this is a pan and scanned movie, correct? I cant wait to watch a widescreen movie that I am used to watching pan and scan style to see how much more revealing it is. How noticable is it? Thanks again. I really want to get a dvd now.

11. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

We Aim to Please Inform
    [​IMG]
    Now that we've converted you, you should look into some of the direct view sets that do 16x9 compression. They'll give you very good picture quality for widescreen DVDs and still work well for cable/sat material. Next time you stop into Best Buy check out their FS Wegas (to engage the vertical compression change to one of the Video inputs, hit the menu button and scroll over until one of the menus reveals "Aspect Ratio" or something to that effect and turn it to "ON", you'll see the screen change shape. Very cool!)
    For the record, I think many of even our most rabid (in a good way [​IMG]) widescreen advocates understand the inherent problem with viewing widescreen material on very small TVs. Our solution: buy a bigger TV [​IMG]
    There a bunch more sites out there that explain widescreen vs Pan&Scan better but I can't find them right now [​IMG]

12. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Todd I couldent stand widescreen when I first got a dvd player eather,but when you watch a movie or three in this format & than see the same movies in pan & scan you will be converted[​IMG] I used to try to find the full frame movies or Id just go without, now I wont touch them with a rubber glove on,in fact I gave away almost all the movies I had in pan & scan to replace them with their much better OAR verisons....[​IMG]

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

14. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Just pick up a 4x3 hdtv set. the 51" 4x3 hdtv set displays a 46-47" 16x9 image. you could pick up a 47" 16x9 set but that will display only a 38" 4x3 image (for approximately the same price).

If you watch more DVDs than anything else get widescreen, otherwise if youre on regular cable and play video games like me 4x3 is the way to go. (Hears outcry of 16x9 users, sorry not all games have 16x9 mode).

-ELmO

15. Todd smith

Me budget not so big! I am looking more along the lines of the 7-900.00 range.

16. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

At 7-900, you're stuck with a 4:3 set. But, $700-800 can get you a very good (non-flat) 36" with component, so that's a pretty big TV and widescreen material will not look small.

Me, I generally don't care what aspect a movie is in. I watched The One in 4:3 format and then watched it again in 16:9 format. And I did the same with Toy Story 2. On some movies it makes a difference, but I'd say on most movies it's no big deal.