I know I shouldn't do this, but...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ZachW, Mar 6, 2004.

1. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I recently sold my car without the sound system I had in it. Does anyone know how I can hook up the amp to the receiver? And how I can plug the amp into an outlet? I know you guys advise against using car audio stuff in the house, but I just want to try it since I don't have a sub anyway? Any help would be great.

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

You would need some sort of power inveter and from what I remember they are very exspensive.

3. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

ZachW,

Back in my college days and the days of the 8-track I didn't have a sound system to listen to, and was bored senseless just sitting around my Dad's house during a Xmas break. So, I took the 8 track player out of my car found a 12 volt model train transformer in the basement, hooked up the 8 track to it, added some speakers from the closet and darned if I didn't have tunes. The transformer hummed kind of loud though, so, I had to turn up the volume to drown out the hum.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Depending on the size of the amp, something like this would work. It's probably not the cleanest power so there might be a hum or buzzing sound (like engine noise) coming from the amp.

For less money you can get a proper sub amp from PE.

-Robert

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

It is generally less expensive to buy an amp intended for AC then it is to convert a DC to work on AC.

6. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

Computer power supplies are pretty cheap, and they produce lots of clean 12v (300-400W). The newer ATX ones, though, use a "soft switch", so you may have to look up the wiring diagrams to figure out which pins in the ATX connector to short to turn the sucker on. And don't open the thing up unless you want a nasty shock.