What's new

I knew that FSU would be sub-par this year, but . . . (1 Viewer)

Darren H

Second Unit
. . . that was just plain embarrassing. When the 'Noles gave up a touchdown to UAB two weeks ago, I realized that they would probably get horse-whipped by both Florida and Miami this year. But to be humiliated in Chapel Hill -- not in a close game like their loss to Virginia, or because of a bumbling offense like their loss in Raleigh -- to be completely outplayed on offense, defense, and special teams was just remarkable. This team could easily go 6-5 this year.
FSU could probably have competed with a red-shirt freshman quarterback IF they hadn't also lost their two best receivers and (in the last three years) their two best assistants: Chuck Amato (now head coach at NC State) and Mark Richt (now head coach at Georgia). Is the dynasty dead?
Darren H
FSU Class of '95
[Edited last by Darren H on September 22, 2001 at 05:08 PM]

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
No kidding. What a shocker.
I can only hope that the 'Noles pick it up for the UF game. :)
And one thing, Darren, you did make amends by moving/living in the best college football town in the US. Go Vols!
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Eric Scott

Second Unit
So you must be a much wealthier man today?
[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 22, 2001 at 10:18 PM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I was quite shocked when I heard this news. 42-9 is a large margin, especially for a team as consistently good as FSU. What the heck happened? How could they lose that bad?
This loss was almost as shocking as my Pitt Panthers losing to the South Florida Bulls, a Division 1-AA team last year.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

------------------

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
It was a tough loss, but it is one I can live with.
All things considered we lost 16 starters from last year, then this year we lose our best receiver(bolden), and 2 other receivers(reid, morgan). Plus several other role player to injury. Then last weekend a DE, Powell was shot. Then factor in the tragic loss of Devaughn Darling, and his brother leaving the school which was totally understandable, but he would have been a pretty good receiver.
On the bright side think of Weinke's 2nd start at a hostile field at NC St, six ints. Went on to National Championship that year.
Now compare this was Rix's 3rd start 2nd if you actually count Duke, 5 T.O's at UNC we lose.
I personally think we will be fine I think we lose 1 more and I hate to say it but it will be UF. We still win the ACC, and get a major bowl and finish in the top 5. I know i am being an optimist.
We fall to about 12 tomorrow.
The loss that still gets me is the Virginia game from 95. they kept showing it and it made me as mad as it did then, Dunn was in there. There was a hole in the wall in 302 McCollum because of that loss, spackle works wonders.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was just a game where everything falls apart. The Cowboys and Niners and every other dominating team in every sport has em now and again. Are the 'Noles a National Championship caliber team this year? Probably not. But don't write their obit after one game. If these kinds of losses become common, then worry.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Unless FSU gets healthy, it's going to be an uphill battle in the ACC. I truly think they were lucky they didn't have to play Ga. Tech last week because I was pretty confident that this was the year that Ga. Tech goes down to FSU home turf and dismantles them, winning by 3 TDs.
If FSU plays Miami, then I think they'll lose to both UF and Miami this year.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Referring to that NC State loss by FSU; let's hope that this is a mirror of 1998. FSU can go to the National Championship and play Tennessee. Woo! Go Vols!
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hey John,
While I'd love to see my beloved Vols play for the title again, it wont happen. One of two things will happen:
1. The Vols will beat Memphis, 14-13 by scoring in the last 30 seconds, only to lose to Vandy 7-6 in the final game of the year, or
2. We'll lose to Florida. simple as that...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Florida State's embarrasing loss to North Carolina made me feel just a little bit better after watching my Penn State Nittany Lions screw the pooch against Wisconsin. Wow, is Penn State bad. I have never seen a Penn State team as bad as this one, and that includes last year's 5-7 team. I was at the game on Saturday, and although there were over 107,000 fans in attendance, Beaver Stadium was a morgue by the second quarter. Try as I might, I can't find a bright spot on that team.
frown.gif

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is shaping up to be an atypical year for sure:
1. Penn State is really bad (sorry Papa Joe, it's gettin' about that time...).
2. FSU is not dominating - no doubt Bowden will whip the troops up but they really are a young (although talented) group.
3. ND 0-3 (although ND hasn't been a great team in a while)
4. Most surprising (since I'm an alum and fan I can say this with true shock): UCLA plays defense. Granted Oregon State will be our first true test, but in the past few years our D couldn't stop a pop Warner team!

James St

Supporting Actor
Being a Gator fan I might not be too welcome in this thread but I thought I'd give my two cents. I have a hard time believing that a Bowden coached FSU team is as bad as what we saw on Saturday. With the lack of returning starters and injuries I can see how this may be an off year but I think they'll have have their act together for the Wake game. Its still early in the season so there is a lot of football left to be played. I remember the feeling I had after we got our asses kicked in the Mississippi St game last year. The Bulldogs will be in the Swamp Saturday, so hopefully we can get some payback.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
This is shameful. I'm only glad, post hoc, that the game wasn't broadcast in my area. I couldn't bear to watch it.
Hold the rope? Geezus... these losers need to have their asses beaten into the dirt by a gang of former Noles who did hold the rope.
No offense to North Carolina who clearly must have played with fire and guts, but I saw their two previous games. NOT a good team, and not a tough team. FSU was beaten by the NCAA equivalent of a girl's softball team.
It's shameful.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al said:
FSU was beaten by the NCAA equivalent of a girl's softball team.
No, FSU didn't play Penn State last Saturday. :) If you watched the Penn State-Wisconsin game, you know what I mean.
The state of Penn State football makes me sick. On the other hand, I went to grad. school at the University of Illinois, and the Fighting Illini are 3-0. Of course, Illinois hasn't played anyone yet. Just Cal-Berkeley, Northern Illinois, and Louisville. It's far too early for me to get excited about the Illini this season.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ND 0-3 (although ND hasn't been a great team in a while)
Just reading those words makes this Wolverine fan smile. :)
This does look to be a strange year. Coming from Big Ten country, just knowing that the conference champ will not be going to the Rose Bowl has really put a damper on the season. The Big Ten is not as strong as usual this year, so there's no way the champ will qualify for the national championship game in Pasadena.
------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks