What's new

I Kind of Feel Sorry For Poor Old VHS (1 Viewer)

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I still watch the occasional VHS tape too. Although I own an LD player, if I find a movie that I want that's not on DVD, it's usually MUCH easier to find it on VHS than LD, since the videotape is usually still in print. Honestly, most of my laserdiscs don't look that much better than VHS anyway(though it's usually harder to find the widescreen version of a movie, but I can live with the occasional pan and scan release for an obscure title). I know it's heresy to say it, but none of my LDs come even close to DVD quality.

I also agree with the people who mentioned that VHS degradation is really overblown on these message boards. I have prerecorded VHS tapes from ten years ago that still look fine. I can't remember ever having my VCR eat a tape either. Also, I've never had to get my VCR professionally cleaned or anything like that. With JVC set to release prerecorded HD VHS movies this summer, VHS may have some life left in it yet(the D-VHS player also plays standard VHS).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I've said it once, I'll say it again S-VHS is alright with me. Heck I recorded the best Gargoyle epsisode ever made other than the the opening pilot. I recorded The Gathering and it looks great on S-VHS from satellite. Don't feel to sorry for VHS, with this new D-VHS format with High Definition Pre recorded tapes, VHS will probably have life breath back in to it.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
In my personal opinion, VHS is headed towards the status as time-shifting machines, used primarily to record programs off broadcast or cable so you can watch the show later.

Remember, the cost of DVD mastering has dropped drastically in the last few years. It's gotten to the point that even a higher-end Power Macintosh G4 costing US$3,000 to US$4,000 can master high-quality DVD discs complete with sophisticated menus. This means mastering DVD movies may end up being not much different than mastering a pre-recorded DVD movie.

Even serious theatrial release DVD's don't cost as much as they used to in terms of production costs. What used to require six-figure workstation systems to do mastering back in late 1996 can now be done on systems that cost US$11,000 or less. For example, the Atlantis: The Lost Empire single-disc edition probably has the vast majority of its costs paying Mark Okrand to do that short movie explaining the Atlantean language and to pay Don Hahn, Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale do to the audio commentary for the movie.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a movie lover first and an videophile second. Sure, I have a home theater with a widescreen HDTV and 7.1 surround sound - the whole works. But I also have 5 other TVs and 4 VCRs and they are just fine for watching video tapes. The home theater is for kicking back and getting totally immersed in a movie. When in there I prefer the quality of a DVD. But outside the theater, I'm usually busy doing other things while the TV is on and I'm not as critcal about the picture and sound.
I have around 2000 video tapes. Most of them I bought used for $3-$5. I've had maybe half a dozen that have failed over the years. I consider that pretty good considering the price. Some of the better titles I've upgraded to DVD, but at $20 and up, quite a few of the movies just aren't worth replacing. I'm always checking Blockbuster and the pawn shops to see what I can find for $10 or less. Am I cheap or what? Nah, just practical.
In a perfect world, I would have all DVDs and a plasma screen with at least 5.1 surround in every room, but we know that's not going to happen - unless I win the lottery of course. :)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I still watch the occasional VHS tape too. Although I own an LD player, if I find a movie that I want that's not on DVD, it's usually MUCH easier to find it on VHS than LD, since the videotape is usually still in print. Honestly, most of my laserdiscs don't look that much better than VHS anyway(though it's usually harder to find the widescreen version of a movie, but I can live with the occasional pan and scan release for an obscure title). I know it's heresy to say it, but none of my LDs come even close to DVD quality
What!!? What laserdisc player do you have? Okey, some ld's don't look good but many look VERY good and some as good as the dvd version.
I agree with David VP
I'm also a movie lover not a home theater brat that think the latest hollywood blockbuster is the best ever because it has so cool sound and picture. And if you not a hollywood guy/girl like me most of the stuff is ONLY on vhs and will be that for long and many, many, many will never be released on dvd.
I know that in USA the vhs tapes was mostly in P&S but here in europe it's more in OAR both older tapes and new so that's not a problem.
I know that a vhs can have a long shelf life because I have 100's after 100's pre-recorded original ex-rentals that plays perfectly without any problem and those tapes are from -78 to -83.
And because there is 10 000 after 10 000, yes maybe 100 000 of movie only released on vhs tapes I will use my VCR now and in the future!
So if anyone don't see a movie they want to see because it's only on VHS, they are not movie lovers, they are only technique geeks!
I watch right now around 40% on LD, 40% on VHS and 10% on DVD.

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
What!!? What laserdisc player do you have? Okey, some ld's don't look good but many look VERY good and some as good as the dvd version.
I have a pretty cheap LD player, the Pioneer CLD-D504. I think the real problem with watching LDs on my setup is my TV. I have a 65" widescreen, and laserdiscs look really soft on it. I do have a few LDs that look pretty good, but the majority don't look too impressive. For movies where I have both the LD and DVD, the only one I can think of where the LD comes close in comparison to the DVD would be Trainspotting. The Criterion laserdisc compares fairly favorably to the nonanamorphic DVD, although the edge still definitely goes to the DVD for picture quality(although for extra material, the Criterion LD is FAR superior). I know my laserdiscs would look much better if I hooked the player up to the tube TV in my bedroom. Actually, I used to watch LDs on a 50" 4:3 TV and they looked significantly better than they do on the 65" TV. And of course, a higher end LD player would help matters a lot too, I'm sure.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Matt_Marlow, ok, the 504 is a pretty average player and my Pioneer HLD-X9 is a very BIG improvment over the 504.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hey, Jerome - I used to live in Chappaqua and spent many happy hours attending the double features at the great old movie houses in White Plains (Loew's, The Pix, etc. on Mamaranack Ave,) all of which I believe are no longer there. Sorry - a deviation. To respond to the header: I have hundreds of VHS tapes, most of them recorded from lasers and from satellite, and mostly in OAR. MANY of them are not available commercially in any form (FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE; A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA; SONG OF THE SOUTH etc.) or commercial titles now out of print (HELLSTROM CHRONICLES, HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1939, etc.) I will probably transfer these to DVD shortly, but always hope for OAR legitimate releases. Then, there are hundreds of films I enjoy but which I do not need to own on DVD - I don't mind plugging them into a VCR and watching them on my upstairs t.v. (21"), while designating my home theater screen (so far only 32") for lasers and DVD only.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've had tapes break over the past 15+ years and some do have dropouts. Since Tivo, I never use the VCR to time shift. However, I'll be holding onto a VHS (and my Beta!) deck for some time to come, if only to play back those many older films that will take their sweet time getting onto DVD. After that and a recordable DVD to save the family videos, VHS history for me.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I have found a new-found appreciation for the VHS. I discovered this when my two-year old munchkin ejected the Barney DVD after watching it, and she proceeded to play "frisbee" with the disc. VHS is much more rugged for the little tyke....

8^B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks