I Kind of Feel Sorry For Poor Old VHS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Feb 7, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

OK, reach for the hangman's noose right now. I'm willing to meet my maker after this post. [​IMG]
    But, in the wake of the enormous explosion of DVD technology since 1997, I feel the need to defend the good ol' VHS format.
    For nearly 20 years VHS magnetic tape served the video marketplace quite well (IMO). In fact, I can honestly say that I've NEVER had one VHS tape that has ever broken on me. Any of you guys ever have problems with tape breakage/tangling. I never have. A darn good record.
    Have said the above .... I will have to break down and admit that the Digital Versatile Disc format is indeed quite an improvement. No rewinding, better resolution, lots of bonus materials, and the rest.
    But I just felt like defending my VHS collection today. Lots of people have dumped on the VHS format recently, claiming "I'll NEVER watch a VHS tape again!". This, to me, is somewhat crazy. What if the program you want to see is available ONLY on VHS? You won't watch simply because it's on a tape??!! Kinda curious to me. I have a lot of very good quality VHS tapes, and still enjoy them greatly.
    The bottom line is: I love both formats.
    Show of hands: Who out there still embraces VHS (at least a teeny bit)? Hey, you can't watch Star Wars Ep. IV any other way!!

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I would never feel sorry for VHS, mainly because of the majority of it is in pan&scan. When DVD came out I got rid of all my VHS tapes. I bought a laserdisc player for the films that are not yet on DVD and the ones that probably never will be. I have never seen a film that I would want to own that is only on VHS and not on laserdisc or DVD.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

4. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

I feel sorry for the really poor people who can't afford to get a DVD player and are stuck with VHS.

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Yes, Larry, you have a point there I guess. But, then again, from what I'm seeing now, a DVD Player is not at all much more expensive than a VCR. You can get a DVD for a mere $130 now I believe. My last VCR was $100.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'm not sure what is meant by the phrase "feel sorry for VHS". VHS tapes are nothing but inanimate plastic and rust (iron oxide). They have no feelings to be hurt (I once said something similar to someone who said people were disrespecting laserdisc, as if the piece of plastic and aluminum would have hurt feelings).

The only entities one could POSSIBLY "feel sorry for" are the people who make/did make VHS. But, since these are the SAME people happily making lots of money with DVD, that makes no sense at all.

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I gave up on VHS in 1995, when I bought into Laserdisc and never looked back. Sure, I've only ever have one VHS tape chew up my VCR and it didn't take much to fix it, but the poor resolution and sound quality of VHS and endless drop outs inherent in the format were simply not acceptable. They took me out of the film, where Laserdisc and later DVD immersed me. Once I moved to a 16:9 display, VHS became all but unwatchable. The format has lasted 20 years. That's pretty good and will be far longer than standard DVD. There's nothing to feel sorry about.

8. Filipe Almeida Paz

Filipe Almeida Paz Auditioning

I can say that I was never, ever compelled to buy
    movies on VHS format. Before DVDs arrived I think
    that I bought around 20-30 VHS at maximum. Yes,
    I loved movies as much as I love today. However,
    with all the disadvantages of VHS (we all know them
    so I am not going to spend any time, and space!,
    repeating them) it always seemed quite a very bad
    investment.

9. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Personally, I can't stand VHS because of all of the above problems. Threr are a few VHS tapes in OAR
    • The Star Wars Trillogy
    • The indiana Jones Trillogy
    • Forrest Gump (I think
    • Appocalips now
    • The graduite
    • Ben-Hur
    Ther are probably more out there

10. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] "good quality VHS [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Touching on Felipe's comment on the tapes wearing out......

Funny, I've watched some of my tapes zillions of times (maybe just trillions), and have never, ever seen the slightest bit of degradation! Looks the same as the first viewing.

I truly think the "VHS wears out fast" argument is WAY overstated! I've never seen this as a negative factor to VHS. What happens here anyway....ONE small particle of the magnetic tape flakes off every 7 years!? Who's gonna notice. I haven't.

Good day .... and God Bless VHS!!

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I actually haven't watched any VHS since April 4, 2000...yes, I remember the exact date, because it was when SW E1 was released. I agree with others regarding the fact that VHS hasn't exactly "embrassed" OAR, and I always had a hard time finding movies in OAR. Finally in '98, I gave up...DVD all the way now. VHS served me well when I didn't have a plausable (and cost-efficient) solution, but now I'm happy to abandon the out-dated format.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How many people in the US have VCD collections, I wonder? They're practically unheard of here, yet, in certain Asian countries, VCDs have stifled the market penetration of DVD.

15. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Doctor Who serial "The Tenth

Planet" on VHS today. I may not be alive by the

time it's released on DVD and I've never seen

it broadcast (because the last episode is missing

and had to be reconstructed). In this case, it

was either VHS or nothing.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well, Jack, judging by the "Not for sale outside Malaysia and Singapore warnings" at the beginning of all my legit ones, I'd say not many. That said, I find the format quite useful for homemade seasonal sets I make for shows like Dark Angel and Family Guy which aren't out in season sets but are fairly availiable encoded online.

17. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I still use VHS all the time, but only to watch TV. I'm slowly giving away all my pre-recorded VHS tapes, I have many of them. Some are screeners copies that my friend who worked in Hollywood scored for me over the years. The combo of VHS and the stupid message "This is a screens copy, yada yada" drives me crazy. In the end, I've also got 20 years worth of tapes I've got to start to clear out. Old recordings of TV shows are going into the trash bin...but what about my tape of the 1987 Lakers Championship, the 1988 Dodgers World Series victory, those are keepers.

I still have not bought a TIVO player mostly because of the month expense and because I'm waiting to get a dish with the integrated TIVO, so until than I'll have all my 6 decks working to time shift all the shows I like to watch but hate to watch commercials. I have a JVC 3600, 4500, and 4600 that I use to watch most of my shows. I love the Commercial Advance feature on the 7500 and 7600. They dropped that feature on the 7800 too bad I was going to buy one of those too.

18. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There were tons of widescreen VHS, Suncoast used to have an entire section devoted to them

20. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I won't defend the limitations of VHS, but there's a lot of stuff still out there -- okay, obscure stuff, but still... -- that never made laser and hasn't yet gone to DVD. And I still tape stuff off-air with my regular old Sony 4-head Hi-Fi machine; when the DVD comes out (whether or not I buy it; living in LA, I can pretty much rent anything I'm after), I usually farm them out to friends or record over them.
    I mean, do you really think Fred Williamson's fine, fine epic "That Man Bolt" will ever come to DVD? And some, like most of Hal Hartley's catalog, never made it to LD or DVD (where's "Henry Fool," Sony?). I'm also assuming my worth-its-weight-in-gold boot of the infamous "Star Wars Holiday Special" won't be seeing the DVD light of day, er, ever. [​IMG]