I killed it!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KirkA, Jun 29, 2003.

1. KirkA

KirkA Agent

I've got (or had) JBL N-28s for my main speakers. Everything has been fine except for a horrible rattling noise from one speaker at high volume, low levels. It was pretty distracting. My mains are set at "small".

Long story short I took the woofer out and found that the whole front panal of the speaker was loose. I'm pretty sure that's what was causing the noise. I tried to take it apart to reglue it and yadda, yadda, yadda, now I need a new box.

I have several options:

1) get a pair of N-28s about $200

2) get a pair of N-38s about $280 and toss the speaker stands. This may be the way to go since I have small kids and worry about them knocking the speakers off the stands.

3) upgrade to Paradigm, B&W, etc. Since I need a new speaker anyway it would be an ideal time to upgrade. However, I've been happy with the JBLs so why bother.

4) buy new enclosures and use the components from the N-28s. Good idea but I dont have the equipment, time, patience, talent (I destroyed my old box after all) to build my own. Parts express wants $80 each for pre-finished boxes so it's really not any cheaper than just buying new N-28s.

So what should I do? I'm hoping to ebay the N-28 components to recoup some of my loss. Also my speakers are the N-1 series will there be a problem going to the N-2 series mains with an N-1 center?

2. KirkA

KirkA Agent

Thanks for the help!! 98 lookers and now one has anything to say? Maybe I'm just being shunned for killing a speaker.

Well I decided on a combination of options 2 and 3. I ordered JBL S310IIs. This way I'm upgrading to the Studio Series which sound a little better/brighter to me and they are 38" so I can get rid of the stands. They were $400 shipped for the pair from www.jandr.com . It's about the best price I found and I've bought the rest of my HT from j&r and they've treated me pretty good.

And before you say it, I know, I know, I need to get an "S" center. I'm planning on selling my "N" center and N28 remains to fund the new center.

I will probably post an ad over in the "for sale" section after my S310s get here. If anyone is interested in one absolutley perfect N28I, one absolutley trashed N28I, and/or one perfect N center please email me. They would make a great DIY project.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Kirk

You just took a step UP in a bigger hurry than anticipated.
    You more than likely would have done it later anyway!

God works in mysterious ways ...[​IMG]

It all works out in the end, and your system will be better for it.

Congrats on your new somewhat forced upgrade! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

5. KirkA

KirkA Agent

Thanks, I needed that.[​IMG]