I keep getting virus infected e-mails.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Wong, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Oct 30, 1999
    I got two e-mails last night that Norton indicated were infected with a virus. The subject heading on both e-mails from two different e-mail addresses was entitled "Movie." I wasn't sure what to do, so I just deleted both of them. The same thing happened last week. This time, from three different e-mail addresses but again, each of the three separate e-mails I received all had the same subject header... this time entitled "Crows." weird. I just deleted them, as well. Is someone intent on crashing my computer system?

Is there anything I should be doing in this instance or just basically deleting the e-mails as Norton pulls them out?

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Oct 12, 2000

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...[email protected]

They have a tool you can download to scan for it, just to be sure. I've gotten a few here at work and deleted them after conferring with our virus staff.

What most likely happened is the virus infected someone else who had your email address stored on their system in some way or another (text file, email, etc) and so it used their computer to send the email to you.
  3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Looks like you're getting some old fashion SPAM! Your email address has been "compromised" (meaning it's now on some list, which then makes it on some other lists, and so on). Just keep deleting those suspicious emails (if you can, you might want to set up some rules in your mail filter to automatically junk those emails too).
  4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Aug 6, 2001
    Joe Kauffman
    I get about 15-20 virus infected email addresses a day do to the high profile nature of a couple email addresses I have to use.

If Norton is picking up on it, it's not spam. Just delete it it. Someone you exchange emails with probably has an infected computer. However, a virus these days has ways of hising where it actually came from.