I just upgraded my component cables...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Youssef, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

I have a mits. 46 inch widescreen tv and i have a Toshiba progressive scan dvd hooked up to it via monster video 3 component cables. The picture looked good to me using the monster cables and since i just have a modest setup, i really did not think i could improve the picture by upgrading the video cables. Well I decided to place an order for the Acoustic Research master series component cables since I get them directly from Recoton via employee purchase. After waiting for about 3-4 weeks i finally got the cables in the mail yesterday. You guys have got to see how these badboys come packaged! They look incredibly sexy. After hooking them up I DEFINITELY noticed an improvement! The colors seemed more rich and not a hint of bleeding was spotted at all. I would have to say it made about a 10-15% improvement on my picture so upgrading my cables was one of the best improvements i made! I would have easily spent up to $129 on these cables and if you look on the internet, they can be had for around $70.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Glad you like them [​IMG]

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Just think you could have saved a bunch of money and used the freebie cables that come with your components, matched them with lamp cord and pleased Chu at the same time. Anything beyond those is just your imagination justifying your expenditure after all[​IMG]
    Just teasing Chu, no offense.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

No offence taken Mark. It'd have pleased me even more if he'd run a blind test [​IMG] By the way if you can find a 5 gauge lamp cord, i'll put that up against the Cardas "Golden Reference". I'd like to be able to concede the advantage of OFC too if I can.

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Now that you have your ankles wet at the edge of the water.......... jump in and upgrade your Component Video cable set to the ZU Megular Component cables.

Granted, you will pay more ( up to $180. list, but sourced @ audiogon. com auction for much less) but you will not "seem" to see your colors richer-- they will be !

The Zu Megular is simply the level other

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Brian OK

LOL ........

Yeah, those ZU guys are akin to corporate raiders with their slick, mega buck advertising budget and dealer spiffs.
    Audio marketing at it's sleaziest ;^)

Honestly, though, ZU is a start-up group of ex-Kimber and Wabash techs/mgrs. A 60 day return policy about sums up their confidence in their products.

BOK

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Brian OK

Ya know, Lee, I wonder if manufacturers like ZU, a very small start-up company. (or, hell, any cable manufacturer pidgeonholed as a "boutique cable") really give a rat's ass if the feedback on a forum (any open forum) turns negative... i.e aimless ... based upon a DBT argument in full swing. Customer service issues aside, mind you.

I base this thought on your 10 page power cord travail on the, oddly enough, Receiver forum. You are a true trooper for perservering. And, since I am retired from such "cluster f......" threads, I applaud your position, heartily !

The same naysayers,the same old suspects, the recycled, tired old arguments. Intellectual dishonesty, disingenuosness, and the net laziness of "never listened to it, but here are my words on the matter" abound throughout that thread. As an old sage (George I. Gurg.) once penned ... "speech is shit of impressions" .

One must listen. If it is not up to snuff, send it back. Simplified. But there are so many element involved in getting all one's gear sounding right. To just get into pages of prose about power cords is such a supreme waste of time .... it just blows my mind that it ....simply comes down to listening for awhile. If a cord, a cable does not fit in... swap it out. AC is such a variable that to waste 10 pages is fruitless. The obvious lightening bolt is...... How does it sound in my setup.

IME, as always.

BOK

11. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

12. Brian OK

Patrick,

Can you elaborate ? What product(s), under what name do you market ?

I would love to see manufacturers of "boutique cables" , or any manufacturers, get more involved with their products on the net.

But, alas, the pitfalls of a manufacturer entering into open discussions has it's own hazards. Claims of shilling, etc...

But, please, chime in. To see the producers side of a product would go a long way in clearing the air for meaningful discussions of a product .... less all the mudslinging ... and baggage .. found in, for instance, the merits of upscale cables.

BOK

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I am intrigued to give this cable a shot against mu current BC SS components. I've yet to test a btter cable, but I don't test much anymore. I simply tested them against all monster and AR brands and they looked better based on some Avia test patterns. I actually don't like the look of the cable.
    I guess I'm going to have to try the Zu cables and weigh my opinion in afterwards.

14. Brian OK

Patrick,

OK, I give up ... wickedcables.com

You assemble broadcast quality ( Canare/Beldin top-grade spool cable).

I knew that, but was just enticing.....

Don't know if it falls under a "boutique cable manufacturer" but don't let that stop you from further discussions.

Your company has been mentioned many times on the forum (along with a few other assembler companies), but , apart from shilling, you are most welcome in open discussion.

BOK