What's new

i just took a 15% paycut - ack! (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I got laid off almost a year ago. After 4 months of searching, I gave up the search and am now self-employed. Sure, I only make about 25% of what I did when I had a job, but at least I get to pick my own hours.

And what do I do? I do web development and computer tech. work for individuals and small businesses. I had plenty of experience in both areas before getting laid off, but I got A+ certified, printed up some business cards and got myself out there. I think in a couple of years I'll be back to my old job salary level without having a boss!!!!!!!

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
i also seriously doubt that i'll get my salary back. according to them i'm now at "market value" - whatever the heck that means!
Ted, all that means is that it's a "justification" (or more bluntly, a cop-out) for them not to be obligated to bring your salary back to pre-cut levels when revenues/profits return to pre-cut levels. My company essentially used the same "market value" line on us.

I feel that those people who get their salaries cut or are laid off should be rewarded for helping their companies cut costs, but of course it's the less-deserving people (namely, executives and other higher-ups) who get credit (and of course, the accompanying bonuses) for doing so. I mean, how can people feel good about giving themselves and their cronies bonuses while at the same time cutting salaries and/or laying off the grunts who are the backbone of their companies?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i hear ya tony.

the same question was posed to management - essentially what kind of impact have you had to suffer? they all diligiently said that yes, they too had to accept change. of course they didn't mention what kind of change. i was really hopin' someone was gonna push them on it, but no one did. i certainly wasn't gonna... ;)

that's why i think jeff has the right idea. be your own boss! :emoji_thumbsup:

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I just took a 5% cut and would gladly have taken more. Am I alone in loving my work and my boss? This is far more important to me than 5% of my pay, and I'd dare say 30% of it. After that, I'd have trouble supporting my HT habits.:D

BTW, I do computer support for a small marketing company.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Am I alone in loving my work and my boss?
that's a really good point and i agree 100%. i do really enjoy my job. my boss (and lead) are in different states, so i have never even seen them - which is nice. no one looks over my shoulder, etc.

as long as i get my work done they're happy. i can be late, take off early, leave for a while, etc. they're completely cool with that, which makes for a more relaxed job environment.

maybe that's why i'm not as irked as i should be? hmm...

of course, i would have accepted 5% much more easily than 15%!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I like my job and my boss is ok (he does his job and I do mine, we see each other maybe a few times per month) but if my grandmother was the boss I wouldn't gladly take a paycut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks