I Just Test Drove The New Cadillac CTS 5-Speed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, May 20, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I have to get going, and I promise I'll write more later, but in a word: WOOOOOOOOWWWWW!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

My wife works for a Caddy dealership and they let her take one home for the weekend.[​IMG] That is a real nice car. It has lots of pep and handles real well.
    Man I was really sorry to see Monday morning roll around. [​IMG]

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Al, I feel your pain...I'll be at work tomorrow day-dreaming about it.
    So here's my experience. Last night I had a dream that I drove a black CTS. All day I couldn't stop thinking about it. After work, I had to run some errands, so I made a stop "in the neighborhood" of the Caddy dealer. I pulled into the dealer and strolled around the CTSs hoping a sales-rep would approach me. Welp, it was cold, so I went inside and I was greeted by a friendly, hot-shot dealer. I told him I might get a car for graduation. Then I showed him my current car (94 Eldorado), and he got excited. He said, "I'll tell you what we're going to do...we're going to go outside, and you're going to pick out your car to test drive."
    The dealer was surprised that I picked out one with the 5-speed..."we're gonna have some fun now", he said. He zoomed it to the test drive area (running thru stop signs, making tight turns). Then I got in and stalled it. [​IMG] Screw it, b/c I drove it like Mario Andretti afterward! The shiftier is real smooth, and the car itself is very zippy. It's also beautiful inside and outside (esp. outside!) I guess they sell like 3 a day...the Escalade sells even more! After my brief encounter with awesomeness, I got a brochure and the salesman's card. Now I REALLY want one!

4. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

I have had one for about 3 months now. It is an automatic though. I just love it. The road where I live are pretty curvy and it just sticks to the road around turns. I got the luxury sport with the stabilitrak and navigation system and I would say if you are going to get one, get it loaded. The nav system is great, she will tell you to turn right in 1/4 of a mile and everything. My girlfriend thinks I am nuts because I use the nav system to go everywhere, even if I know where I am going. I would say go for it, you only live once.

Mike

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

How much do these go for?

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

$29,990 after tax to start....The most expensive one I saw was about $38,800.

The dealer gave me the options' price list, so if you wanted a fully-loaded Luxury Sport model (w/ 5-speed automatic @ an extra $1,200), MSRP would be, hmm let's see: $39,750 ($40,400 with garnet red or White Diamond paint job). By the way, 5-speed manual comes standard!

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

How's the fit and finish? Is it smooth when you run a finger over the "seams" (such as between the door and the body)?
    Point of reference:
    Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura: Doors are perfectly flush with the cars body. Windows are perfectly placed, no leaks.
    Brand new 2000 Ford Taurus: Door bulges out nearly half a centimeter from the frame. Rear passenger window literally pops out towards the top and back. Fortunately the seal barely stops water from entering. Dealer will not fix it, because it doesn't leak.
    I feel sorry for my friend with the Taurus (he bought it new...and came off the lot that way).
    I imagine the Caddy is better than the Ford. [​IMG]

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Sounds nice, how much does it weigh? I've always had the impression of Caddys as being overweight. First, most of the older models look overweight and their styling has always given them that "boat" appearence. The Catera (aka the Opel) was one of the first ones that actually didn't look oversized but perhaps because that one originated in Europe.

Having less mass/weight is so much fun, and you don't need a high horsepower engine to enjoy it so you get better gas mileage, lower insurance, and a quick ride.

edited: 3509lbs (5spd)... ouch, still a bit overweight for a sports sedan.

Jay

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

But Jay, we're talking about a luxury sport sedan [​IMG] You gotta figure there's an extra 1k lbs. in there for the comfy heated seats, a giant one-piece info/CD console, and "noise-dampening seals and light-weight foam virtually all around the cabin".

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I wonder how much the CTS will depriciate over time. Hopefully, a model with 10k miles will go for about 10 grand. [​IMG]

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, well all the competition are considered entry level luxury sports sedans, the BMW 3-series, the A4, the 3.2TL, the IS300. I'm pretty sure all or most of them, other than perhaps the 3.2TL are a bit under 3500lbs. However, I think 1000lbs is a bit excessive, if you could shave the CTS to 2500lbs, it would be an absolute rocket. [​IMG]
    I think if the model is successfull and sells, the depreciation would probably be similar, maybe not as good as the models I just mentioned. Caddy is still fairly new to competing with the Germans and the Japanese sport sedans (with manuals) and if the model sells well down the road, then the depreciation should be fairly similar to the others. The panache of the Caddilac name is kind of an unknown, would it hurt or help the car's value in the future???
    Jay

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The exterior styling of the CTS looks too much like Caddy's SUV (especially in the grill and rear end). It's not very attractive to me. I thought the STS models looked much nicer.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I personally think the CTS is hideous, but it may grow on me (like the Pontiac Aztec has - it looks like the work of the same design team). I've read raves about the rear wheel drive 5 speed CTS, and I have to say, it's about damn time we got this kind of car from Caddy. The last time they did something like this it was the goregeous and stylish Italian made Allante which is destined to be a classic autombile.
    And the V6 AWD Audi A4 is pretty damn heavy, too. [​IMG]

14. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I looked at one when I was looking for a new car back in February. Its good for a Caddy in this market segment but I agree with Philip, its hideous in my opinion. The other cars in this range like the G35 the new A4 and the S60 which I ended up buying are better looking in my opinion.

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I thought of the Aztec, too, when looking at the CTS, but thought that would be too big an insult. I think the Aztec is one of the ugliest vehicles ever designed. It reminds me of the old Volkswagon "Thing".

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey, the "Thing" was awesome!!! [​IMG]

17. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm loving the new edgy Caddy styling....that new Infiniti G35 is pretty sweet too.

18. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I think the CTS is .... ho-hum. The car is too top heavy from it's looks and too narrow compared to it's lenght.

The problem with most American cars is that you can get a much better performing and looking foreign competitor for the same price.

Once in a while when they do get it right, like with the new Thunderbird for example, they price it out of reach for no reason. I mean what does the new Thunderbird have besides the NEW body style that the old one didn't? The new one is about $15K more ?!?!?!? Why?

If I was in the market for a car in the CTS price range, the Infinity G35, Audi A4, and the BMW 3 series would be my choices ...

19. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Patrick said:

20. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I've grown to like the look of the CTS quickly, but wonder whether this can compete with a TL-type S

It sure could use a little more power with that much weight, and a six speed transmission.

Brent