What's new

I just saw The Knack on *The Today Show*! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This is pretty cool. I'm eating breakfast and watching The Today Show this morning when all of a sudden, The Knack is performing live in Rockefeller Center. That was a nice surprise. Of course, they played "My Sharona". They sounded quite good. Makes me want to break out my Knack CD. I guess they are making a bit of a comeback now that their old albums have been remastered, and they have a new album out. They are touring too. Cool.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Soft Cell came on The Today Show a little later. Of course, they played "Tainted Love". A good song, but I thought The Knack sounded better.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Brings back memories doesn't it. I had a friend back when "My Sharona" came out who would sing "My Scarotum".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, that's good. :laugh: When I was a kid, my friends and I would sing "My Bologna!". I could see Weird Al Yankovic doing that one. There's a lot you can with that song. "My Corona!"

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Who was the third band? I know the Today show said they were going to have 3 One Hit Wonders, but I had to leave for work before the first one.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I caught just a snippet of an African American female singer that had a disco hit. I didn't see enough of the performance to see who it was. I don't think it was Gloria Gaynor of "I Will Survive" fame.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Soft Cell came on The Today Show a little later. Of course, they played "Tainted Love". A good song, but I thought The Knack sounded better.
I saw Soft Cell too. Is that all the band was, just a singer and a guy on a keyboard?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, I don't know that much about Soft Cell. I suppose it's possible. Perhaps an Internet search would yield some history of the group. Everything else is on the Internet. :)

James RD

Supporting Actor
I had a friend who would interpret the Police song this way:
"There's a little brown spot on my underwear...":D

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I know the Today show said they were going to have 3 One Hit Wonders
Soft Cell was hardly a one hit wonder in Europe, but maybe in the US...
They were just Marc Almond and David Ball (who later apperared in The Grid, if anyone remebers them...). They did a number of albums, and Marc also released several solo albums. For anyone interested in them, I recommend Marc's autobiography, Tainted Life. After having read it, I tell you the title is quite accurate ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mikael, in the US, I would say that Soft Cell was a "one-hit wonder". They are most known for "Tainted Love". Here in the US, you can find "Tainted Love" on many '80s compilation CDs, but finding Soft Cell CDs is very difficult, if not impossible.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
regarding soft-cell, if you were into the alternative 80's scene (cure, depeche, etc) then you knew all about them.
some other hits they had included "what", "sex dwarf", "bedsitter" and maybe a couple more that i can't think of. obviously "tainted love" was the breakthrough anthem.
speaking of which, i was totally crackin' up - i now get vh1 classics and mtv2. (it's SO nice to be able to actually watch a video on a music channel...what a concept!) anyway, on vh1 classics, they had the video for "what". boy, talk about cheesy.
that being said, i think soft-cell are great. i also have marc almond's solo album "tenament symphony" - pretty good cd!

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've seen The Knack perform live a couple of times (not in person but recorded) & they seem like a pretty good live band.
I had a friend back when "My Sharona" came out who would sing "My Scarotum." Wasn't this done in a "Cheech & Chong" movie? (sung by Cheech)
Yep, that is from one of the Cheech & Chong movies. I can't recall which one... ;)
-Dan B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks