I just remembered another DVD Columbia recently re-released in Full Frame

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Kilduff, Nov 17, 2003.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Oct 27, 2001
    With all this talk about "Annie", "Matilda", "Last Action Hero", "Johnny Mnemonic", et al, being re-released full frame, I remembered another title that got that treatment.

"...about last night"

You know, the movie based on David Mamet's "Sexual Perversity In Chicago", loaded with sex scenes and featuring my personal favorite Sheena Easton song "So Far, So Good"?

Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, this was released on DVD once in its' proper OAR.

Anyway, at the Wal-Mart I'm employed at, I recently noticed about 10-15 copies of "..about last night", complete with CTS Photoshopped cover. I thought "Hey, if the price is right, I'll grab it when I leave for the day". I looked at the back for the tech specs, and that's when it hit me:

"Full-Frame Presentation".

I'm positive this was released before in OAR, and now I think we have another title to add to the list.

John Kilduff...

If it's true, then it's so far, so bad.
  2. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

May 13, 2003
    Has anyone bought these recently on-line? DVDEmpire has only one version of About Last Night ... listed for sale, it's at a very low price, and the back cover scan says it offers both widescreen and full screen:

As mentioned on an earlier thread, their back cover scan for Last Action Hero also indicates both widescreen and full screen at the new low price.

Looking at DVD Planet, I find a brand new cover for About Last Night ..., different from the cover found on DVDEmpire's site, but, lo and behold ...

... it, too, says that both widescreen and full-screen versions are to be found on the disc.

Ditto for the new Last Action Hero cover found on that same e-tailer's site:

Unlike About Last Night ..., this cover is the same at both sites, and again it does say that widescreen and fullscreen (this one says "standard") can be found together on the disc. It differs, I believe, from the cover of my release-day purchase of Last Action Hero, which offers widescreen as well (I'm not sure if it offers fullscreen; I'll check when I have a chance).

Either these sites are marrying the wrong covers to the only versions of these films they offer for sale (both are out of stock right now at DVD Planet, by the way), or Wal-Mart is stocking something unavailable on-line ... or you've overlooked the "widescreen" notice on the back of those new Wal-Mart discs (it's on the same line with "fullscreen" or "standard" in the above image links).

If anyone has purchased these new low-price discs on-line or from Wal-Mart and actually checked them in their player, they could put this (repeated) speculation to rest, as would back cover scans of Wal-Mart's new discs (which would have to be a third version of the cover if the backs only say fullscreen, as per the above links). On-line evidence demonstrates continued widescreen availability in the meantime, though the covers have indeed changed, so if Wal-Mart's copies are fullscreen, buy 'em on-line. In the event e-tailers are shipping fullscreen only copies when their cover scans say fullscreen and widescreen, then there will be strong cause to protest (and demand e-tailer refunds).

Johnny Mneumonic is also available as an OAR Superbit.

P.S. Here's a link to About Last Night ... at Wal-Mart's on-line store:

The front cover is the same as that of the DVDEmpire listing (which again differs from the cover at DVD Planet). The back covers for this release at both DVDEmpire and DVD Planet say it holds both widescreen and fullscreen editions of the film, but Wal-Mart's page doesn't offer a back cover scan.
  3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mar 24, 1999
    Yep, I've got mine! (Original, not the Wall-Mart cover) Side A is 1.85:1 & B is FS. Came out in 1998.

4. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

Mar 6, 2003
    The latest "Sleepless in Seattle" reissue is also only available full frame. I think it is the 10th anniversary edition.
  5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Sep 30, 2002
    Brandon Conway
    ^ Really? The back cover art on dvdempire.com lists both WS and FS.