I just realized the DVD player I got is pretty nice...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Sep 11, 2002.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

I looked up the DVD player my dad let me have and it's a JVC XV-D723. Look pretty good huh? Got DVD-A and stuff, but no HDCD. The CD sound is said to be sub par, but I have a Cambridge d500se player coming tommorow so CD sound is taken care of. I don't think I'll upgrade my dvd player after all. Here are some websites for it.
    http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?page=...lId=MODL010035
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=517
    I couple of questions though...
    Should I use optical, coaxial, or analog to connect the audio to my Harman Kardon AVR520 receiver? What would give me the best sound quality?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, for DVD-Audio playback, you have to use the 5.1-channel outputs on the 'D723GD. I assume your Harman/Kardon receiver has 5.1-channel inputs. The 'D723GD also has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, so you could use the 5.1-channel outputs for everything. However, you should compare the sound quality of movie soundtracks via the 5.1-channel, optical digital, and coaxial digital outputs. It's hard for anyone to tell you which connection will work best. That said, the optical and coaxial digital outputs could very well sound the same, in which case you would really be comparing the 5.1-channel outputs to the digital output of your choice. If you cannot hear a difference between the optical and coaxial digital outputs, go with the coaxial since the cable is more robust. Also, many people find that Dolby Digital and DTS decoders in receivers and pre/pros sound better than those in DVD players, so you might find the digital output to work better. Again, you will have to do the comparisons.
    So, I have to ask. Since your dad gave you the 'D723GD, what did he get? [​IMG]