I just realized my mains make as much bass as my sub.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I was playing around with Avia (which I used in conjunction with a Radio Shack SPL meter to calibrate my system) doing the low frequency sweep. I have a Yamaha RXV 495 and the bass is normally set on Sub, with the other choices being Main and Both. I decided to try the sweep set on Main. They went two Hz lower than the sub. My mains are old IMF speakers that my uncle bought in the seventies (knowing him they were expensive) and gave to me. My sub is an Energy 10 inch powered sub. I decided to try a real world test and used Saving Private Ryan chapter 16, when the tank rolls up. I couldn't tell the difference between Sub and Main but once and a while Both had a little more kick to it.
    Are my speakers that good or do I have something wrong with the sub. I've heard that many people by two subs and put one in the back of the room. Would moving mine to the back of the room be beneficial?
    jeremy

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I believe that this means you need a new subwoofer! [​IMG]
    Don't just get a copy of the sub you already have. What you're after is bass extension, not volume. If you got a second sub, exactly like the one you already have, you won't get deeper bass, just louder bass. You need something that can go deep to really add anything to your set up.
    By the way, how deep can your system go at this point?
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Im betting youre sub has the potential to play lower than the results you are getting with youre Avia tests. Throwing a larger sub in youre room may or may not give you better results. Room size and the location of youre sub all play a big part in how youre sub will perform.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I wouldn't rely on the Avia LFE sweep to do any qualitative assessment of the bass capabilities of your mains or subwoofer. You need to run a CD with low frequency test tones with your SPL meter, graph the results, look at the graphs and then make a declaration that your mains rock!
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

7. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

So does this mean that once they stop being as loud as 3dB that that is their lower limit? Should I have it at the same volume setting as I calibrated it at? I didn't use my SPL during the sweeps but they both could be heard at mid twenties.
    What's an affordable sub that's going to kick ass?
    jeremy