What's new

I just purchased this Sony 4K UHD play (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not bad. The pain in the ass about it is that you have to manually turn Dolby Vision on and off in the setup menu, otherwise it leaves the DV flag in the ON position regardless of the content being played.

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
Not bad. The pain in the ass about it is that you have to manually turn Dolby Vision on and off in the setup menu, otherwise it leaves the DV flag in the ON position regardless of the content being played.

Thank you. I read reviews on it that stated it rarely froze during playback. Which was my main selling point. I bought a Panasonic at new year’s last year and it’s making odd rattling noises. So I figured I’d better upgrade

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I can only tell you that I've had that bluray player since April. It's well made, but as someone else said you have to turn the Dolby Vision on and off. Wouldn't be a big deal but sometimes whether a disc is Dolby Vision can be obscured in very small print and my eye sight is not the greatest. So I invested in a magnifying glass just for that reason. I thought I could just go ahead and leave it on until I watched the bluray of Where the Boys Are and it looked like total crap.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I can only tell you that I've had that bluray player since April. It's well made, but as someone else said you have to turn the Dolby Vision on and off. Wouldn't be a big deal but sometimes whether a disc is Dolby Vision can be obscured in very small print and my eye sight is not the greatest. So I invested in a magnifying glass just for that reason. I thought I could just go ahead and leave it on until I watched the bluray of Where the Boys Are and it looked like total crap.
Some discs that have DV are not even labeled as such.

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
I am impressed. I ordered the player yesterday and Fed EX delivered it today. It’s so big that I had to re arrange my entertainment cabinet. I notice that it only has apps for YouTube, Netflix and prime. Which isn’t a big deal because I have a smart tv. I will test the theory that it doesn’t freeze though

Edit: it passed its first Freeze/Lock up test. I bought the Star Wars 4K complete set a few months ago. When I played episode I the Phantom Menace in my Panasonic 4K UHD player, the disc locked up during the Pod Race. I’ve watched up to the pod race in the new player. No lockup or freezing. I’m overjoyed by this

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Now that I have a Dolby Vision display, switching back and forth is a giant pain in the a$$. What I did find out is that if you turn on DV on the X800-M2, it will tell you if a disc is encoded with DV or not by looking at the upper section of the info overlay which gives you the source data. If it says "Dolby Vision," then the content currently playing is DV-encoded.
DSC00642.JPG

DSC00643.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks