I just purchased the Dayton 10" sub but the total came out to be $500

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mohamed_M, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Mohamed_M

Mohamed_M Agent

I am in the process of putting my HT system together. Went to partsexpress to order the dayton 10" and said might aswell purchase all my cables as well. I just spent $400 on cables!!. Didnt even get top notch stuff, mostly average. Man i feel guilty [​IMG]...

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

With all due respect, Mohamed. What prompted you to do that? [​IMG]

3. Mohamed_M

Mohamed_M Agent

To do what? 1-Purchase the cables or 2- make this post ?

1- Answer is obvious
    2- Nothing more than sharing my experience with other people here, really just a way to make me feel better.

4. John F. Palacio

Investing $400 worth of cables and $100 for a sub? Maybe it's obvious to you, but I am totally at a loss.
    I mean most people would spend the $400 for a sub and $100, if that, for cables.

Am I missing something?

5. Mohamed_M

Mohamed_M Agent

I see what you mean. I guess my post wasn't clear. The cables i bought were all the cables i need for the whole system not just the Sub. I am still ordering everything for the system. And if you did understand my post correctly, how could you possibly spend 100 for all the RCA/optical/coaxial/component cables + wiring ? Youll spend more than that on flea market cables.

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

negitive, i spent $10 for each (3) of my optical and coaxial cables, $30 for all my speaker wire, and $5 for each of my (2) rca cables. $20 for component video, $5 for my svideo cable and $10 for my sub cable. Total = $105. most cables are acoustic research, or monster cable. My S_video cables perhaps are not the best, but im using a 27" rca tv so the difference would be nill im sure between this and a $100 cable. Perhaps if i had a 200" projection screen i wouldve spent a bit ore on vid cables.

Got most of my cables at CC, Ebay and this discount store near me big lots, which is pretty close to being a flea market.

7. John F. Palacio

I, like Jimi C did not spend anywhere near $400 on my setup. And I have a relatively elaborate setup with separates (meaning additional cables) as well as dual passive subwoofers with separate power amps (more additional cables). I don't use "cheapie cables" either.

I am just trying to understand weather you have a setup that uses more cable than most or wether you paid too much for your cable, since you mentioned: "Didn't even get top notch stuff". That's all.[​IMG]

8. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

I usually hate "rules of thumb" but the one I've seen most often on this forum is that you should spend about 10% of the cost of your total system on cables. So, unless you have $4,000 worth of gear, Mohamed, you many have overspent. The utility of sinking big dollars in cables is debated in a number of threads on this and other forums. It stands to reason that it matters more the higher you go on the quality scale with your electronics.

9. Mohamed_M

Mohamed_M Agent

Ok, I recalculated just the cables and they are actually closer to $300. I suppose i over exagurated. From my Car Audio experience ive found quality cables to make quite a difference. My Audio System ran $2500.