I just picked up my first HD DVD

I've been following this format war for a while. I really didn't think HD DVD had a chance. It seems everyone wants blue ray to win. Anways, I have an xbox 360 so I ordered the HD drive today, and it will be here next week. It is supposed to come with King Kong. Additionally, I picked up Serenity at Best Buy. I had pretty much quit purchasing DVD's prior to this. I must say, I'm very excited. If I were a betting man, I would say I still expect Blu ray to win the war, but for 200 bucks it was worth the risk. My tv only does 1080i so I won't be able to experience the 1080p. Although I'm told there is almost no difference between the two when it comes to films. Honestly, I compared the lineups between the two formats, and HD DVD seemed way superior to me. I already want the Superman Returns, Superman II - Donner Cut, and Smallville Season 5 and Batman Returns.

I know Add-ons generally don't do well but I think this HD Drive may be different. I think Microsoft has already sold over 5 million xbox 360's. If one in five people pick up the drive, that will be a million players. I'm sure Sony will sell a zillion PS3's. This format war will be interesting. When HD DVD came out, I said I would never purchase a player because Blue Ray will inevitably win. Now I'm not so sure. Anyways, I'm a member of the club now, and will post my impressions when I get my player.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I think this add-on will break the mold of add-on failures. BTW, I believe the number is near 7 million. Projection are 10,000,000 by the end of the Holiday, but will probably be more like 8,000,000.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
LOL.

I pre-ordered the HD-DVD addon for my 360 a few weeks ago, right when I bought the 360. Yesterday I went to BB to see what new DVD's were out, decided I'd wait and pick up MI:3 for HD-DVD, and then I too bought Serenity.

I have to wait a bit though, because I'm going to buy a 24" LCD panel for viewing this stuff on, and I want to see what the reviews are on the new Gateway panel coming out in the next week since it's spec's make it look superior to the Dell and BenQ panels. All I've got now is a 1024x768 panel, and I want a 1900x1200 to use to see these things in all their glory

Craig S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just like Scott, the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive will be my "gateway drug" into the world of HD on disc. My drive's on pre-order at Amazon; with overnight shipping, I should be enjoying the new world Wednesday night.

I've already purchased Robin Hood, The Searchers, and Batman Begins. On order are several more, including Reds, MI:III, V For Vendetta, Forbidden Planet (tin), and Casablanca, among others. Serenity will be added to the collection very soon!

I agree 100%. For my tastes, there are many more tempting titles on the HD-DVD side of the aisle.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I may go this route as well. A game my wife wants is available for the 360 and would look much better on our 60" Sony than if we bought the same game for the PS2 ( it is available for that too I hear ). So, it is almost like the wife is saying "OK" to the X-Box 360 coming into the home. Then the add on HD would be a fine addition while we see where this format war is going. I was always counting on Blu Ray, but it is just not the contender it should be, yet.
Anyway, enjoy the 360 and add on HD player. Do report back on the experience. Many of us are interested.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Good question. MS stated push is in Europe (surprisingly not Japan) and the US, so I would assume that it is. But this is only a guess. Maybe the first person on this forum that recieves on can answer that.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That would be nice.
However, if it's NOT dual voltage, but, on the other hand, has a AC -> DC converter (like so many inkjet printers do), the problem is solved too. Just buy a converter in your own country if it's not included in the package.

Cees

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I really think the 360 add-on may be a significant factor in advancing HD-DVD. I can imagine a lot of people popping $200 (plus King Kong included). That's a lot less to risk than $500. Apparently it is selling well. A 360-owning friend of mine really perked up when I told him about it, though he had previously maintained that he would wait it out.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
If anything, the X-Box 360 will negate the PS3 factor. I still don't buy the gaming system strategy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Don't worry. 1080 = 1080. As long as the source is 1080i, you're fine, it's not 'less' than 1080p in any way.

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm "only" watching these glorious HD-DVDs on a lowly 720p monitor and I grin from ear to ear when watching. I can only imagine the WOW factor you guys get from slumming on a 1080i unit.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Could you elaborate on that Cees?

I thought 1080i was less resolution than 1080p? Or does the i/p reference the way the lines are drawn to the screen? Every other vs straight linear?

I'm kinda confused on that, and am afraid to google it because I'm sure I'll turn up a load of marketing fud instead of good, solid, info.

TIA

Edit:

If anyone's interested, apparently the reports are that the HD-DVD add-on uses all 6 hardware threads of the 360 to do the HD-DVD(Fully uses all the processors.) Probably a good idea to make sure it's in a well ventilated area, that's going to be a lot of heat to disappate and packing the things tightly in an entertainment center could end badly.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ryan,

Lots of FUD indeed.

A 1080i image has exactly the same resolution as a 1080p image. It's just that the horizontal lines are transferred in a different order.

In the "old days" problems could arise when 480i signals were converted to 480p. Mainly there might be a problem if (1) it's a video recording (TV or handycam) and placing the odd horizontal lines between the even lines poses a potential timing problem (because one half was recorded later than all of the other half). (2) If the conversion is performed on the analog video signal (often referred to as some resolution with pxx added, e.g. 480ip30 or 480p24), especially when it's a 3-2 pulled down version from a DVD. Then the de-interlacer might get confused which half-image belongs to which other half. (3) The conversion used some shortcuts (i.e. using only half of the signal).

But all this doesn't apply to scanned film images whether scanned either progressively or interlaced and certainly not when the digitized form itself is available for conversion.

Lots also have been said on this forum about this already, please take a look at the images I provided in this post. Both images were converted to .gif to make it possible to display a progressive as well as an interlaced version. After they are transmitted fully to your display and all horizontal lines are at their proper place, it's impossible to tell the difference (of course)!

The potential risk, but not a big one, is still in the conversion only. In case of doubt: use an (much more expensive) solution, e.g. get a trusted video processor, like discussed in this very interesting thread.

Bottom line: the main problem, IMO, is to get your image (1080i or 1080p) to a display that accepts it. Otherwise, you won't have an image at all.
And if a conversion is done, try to make sure it's a good one (e.g. not downconvert 1080 lines to 720 first and then up to the "other" 1080 again).

Cees

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
You think you've got it bad???
I'm watching my HD-DVD titles via my InFocus SP4810, 1080i downconverted to the projector's native 852x480 resolution. But, you know what? I love the results! It's a sight to behold!

EDIT: My projector is a 4805. Don't know what was in my coffee when I first posted...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's very true indeed!

When I first switched on the HD-A1, I had it connected to my 7-year old TV set (PAL, can do NTSC) and the image was remarkably better than the same SDVD on my old (then current) player in a direct A/B-comparison.
HD DVD images were even better, brilliant actually. To my surprise the difference with SDVD was noticeable.

(A second surprise was that the set accepted the signal flawlessly if the HD-A1 said "480p", but I haven't done any further investigation of this aspect.)

My guess is that those TV-sets (and projectors) have some "room" left for the better horizontal resolution of HD, as well as the colour improvement, which clearly shows.

Cees

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Well,

I just got my HD-DVD add-on in the mail today. Unfortunately I have to go to work so I can't play with it yet, but I am now an HD-DVD owner. I'll give my impressions later if anyone's interested.

Cees,

Thank you for your explanation and those pictures. I'm alot more clear on what's going on now.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo