What's new

I just outdoor grilled a steak... (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
....that Was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good..I shoulda took pics and posted'em on the net!!!! Steak, french fries..onion rings..and deep fried biscuits!

Had to share...you may go back about your business now.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I love a thick juicy steak grilled out doors...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
There was a time when I only eat steaks that were grilled out doors, but things have changed.

A few months back I had a properly prepared pan-fried steak and I must say it was the best.

Tragically most people just don't know how to properly pan fry a steak. They generally tend throwing the steak into a pan that just is not hot enough. When you cook it that way you just kill the meat all over again.

I'm not saying that I won't eat a steak off an out door grill just saying I now know of another excellent way to cook a steak.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my two favorite methods of cooking a steak:
Indoor Method
1. brush the steak with olive oil. season with kosher salt and pepper only.
2. preheat oven to 500
3. heat up cast-iron skillet on stove - full blast
4. drop the steak on the skillet for 30 seconds per side
5. put into the over for additional two to three minutes
Outdoor Method
1. season as above...wrap edge of steak in bacon
2. turn up grill to about medium-high
3. cook each side for approx 3-4 minutes
i still can't figure out which method works better for me. usually cooking over higher-heat for a shorter time works better than low heat. using low heat seems to dry out my steaks, but i've got friends who do it with low-heata and theirs also turn out pretty tasty.
so, i'm still working on perfecting my technique, but so far, so good.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Matt..believe me..I have considered it!

As for my cooking method..this was chuck steak..on sale .99 a pound. Used a generic tenderizer/seasoning all in one over low flame...cover closed on the gril. It was incerdibly tender...juicy and the flavor unbelievable!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
When cooking a steak outdoors it can be edible after grilling 3-4 minutes per side? I just bought my first BBQ grill but haven't used it yet. I was under the impression that it would take many times that to even reach rare.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Carl - each grill is slightly different, with their own "hot spots". The cheaper varieties tend to heat a little unevenly, in my experience. Then you take into consideration the thickness of the steak.

I prefer mine Medium-rare and usually cook filets about 1 1/4 inch thick. First side ~5 minutes, the second ~ 4.

Remember, you can always take a rare steak and throw it back on for medium-rare, you can't go backward !

Good Luck !

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I always go for the extra-thick steaks. Sometimes the market calls them roasts. ;) Seriously, though, they cut them thicker as roasts and they cost less per pound.
I put them on a hot, open grill for 3-5 minutes a side to lock in the juices, then close the grill and turn down the heat until they are done.
I grilled some very large country style ribs last night with honey-mesquite bbq sauce. Yummm!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey jim -
i use a (gasp :eek: ) gas grill. i know it's blasphemy, but we got it for free and you know how that goes...
:)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
GAS GRILL?????? GET A ROPE!!!!!!

By the way, has anyone else tried the Omaha Steaks? I bought a pack last year, and, while somewhat overpriced, they were delicious. I figured out the secret to Omaha Steak pricing. Never buy from the catalog. Wait for them to send you a special offer, and the pricing ain't too bad then!

Jim J

Second Unit
yes, I've tried Omaha. e-mail offer. got a combo pack. It was worthwhile. The 'knife set' they sent was not worth the shipping however.

True on waiting for offer.

There are actually some stores near me that have them available.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Never tried Omaha brand but my local supermarket has certified Angus cuts and they are delish! I cooked up some filets last year and boy were they yum yum. Gas grill, I know it's not as good as charcoal but it's a WHOLE lot more convenient and worth it. McCormick Montreal steak seasoning (all varieties) is wonderful stuff.

But fries? O - Rings? Give me a good baked potato with a steak, nothing else will do.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
using low heat seems to dry out my steaks, but i've got friends who do it with low-heata and theirs also turn out pretty tasty.
How do you flip the steak? I never use a fork- always tongs. If you stick it, it seems to drain out more.

I cook my steaks to between medium and medium-well, and they are still very juicy, every time.

I agree with Philip on the Montreal Steak Seasoning- excellent!

Jim J

Second Unit
Randy,

I'll be needing that rope when your done with Ted

I cook my steaks to between medium and medium-well
Todd is next!

:)

another good thing to do is let the steak 'sit' for a few minutes before serving. Heat drives the juices to the outside parts of the meat. Letting it sit allows the juices to flow back towards the center, and they are not lost as fast when the meat is cut into.

Potatoes:

-get smaller size (3" dia or less)

-roll them around in a plate of a little canola oil to coat

-salt and pepper (or other seasoning if you like)

-wrap each pototo separately in foil

-put these right on your coals or as close as you can get

I'd say at least 45 minutes. poke with fork, they are done when tender.

I do asparagus same, except no foil, and cook on the grate. They cook in a few minutes.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hah, this is a pretty good thread. I couple of friends and I were talking at a party this weekend about what a joke Omaha Steaks is. Of course I grew up on a farm and think any meat that didnt formerly reside in my back yard and was corn fed by your truly is a joke. Your best bet is to find an actual small-town meat locker, not a grocer. You will get a much better cut per $ then a grocery store steak. Some of the stuff I get at my local Hy-Vee and Bakers is no better than stew meat.

Users who are viewing this thread