What's new

I just need help with my new Wega........... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I already posted a thread yesterday about this but I didn't mention everything I wanted to and no one seems to be helping me out with my other thread. I was hoping this new title would attract more help. :)
So, i've got a new 24' Wega. I've actually had it for about 6 months now but it is the newer style and model of the Wega. Just recently I got rid of my 32' Wega because of financial issues and i'm now trying to get the most out of my 24' Wega for my DVD viewing. It's not a bad little tv and i've got a decent surround setup so overall I get a nice bang for my buck at this point in my Home Theater career. :) I've got a few concerns and problems right now so here they are:
1) I would like to employ the 16:9 squeeze on this tv for watching DVDs. However, it's not an option in the regular tv menus on the smaller Wegas. So, i've been told it's possible in the service menus and i've got the info on how to get to them and change this now. However, can I permanantly set the 16:9 squeeze to a "macro key" on my remote? I don't even know what a "macro" is but i've seen others mention "mapping" functions to those buttons. Is this possible on my tv and remote? I would really like to find a way to view my DVD's with the 16:9 squeeze and the thought of having to access the service menus everytime I want to isn't a nice thought. Although the scan lines on a 24's tv are certainly not that bad. :)
2) When tweaking my tv with a THX optomizer found on my Episode 2 DVD I found that my tv is a little off center to the left. I need to move the image about an inch to the right. I know this is possible in the service menus as well. Does anyone know if this is a serious problem? Again, i've seen others mention it as a possible "serious problem".
3) Lastly, what is the story behind turning off your "red push"? I've seen people mention something about turning off certain things like that in their service menus. Is it really necessary and does it really help picture quality? Should I even bother adjusting such things on a 24' tv like mine? I'm really wanting to get the best picture possible but I don't know what's best for a non progeressive DVD player an an analog tv.
I would REALLY appreciate anyone's detailed answers to these questions. Thanks a million! :)
Dan.B

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
First, setting up a macro for service menu changes is a bad idea. If the TV misses a step (not uncommon with macros), you'd end up altering the wrong values. Besides, there are so many options to page through, I doubt you could find a remote that could handle as many steps as you'd need. If your Wega doesn't have 16:9 enhanced mode in the USER menu, the only reliable and safe way to make the service menu change is manually... not something you're likely to want to do every time you want to watch an anamorphic DVD. The reason the smaller sets don't include the 16:9 enhanced mode is because on a smaller set the enhancement is minor.

There are centering options in the service menu, but I don't know the labels offhand. They would be with the geometry settings... probably HPOS and VPOS. It's not a serious issue of the picture isn't cropping, and you should be able to correct it in the service menu if it is bothersome.

As far as red push... calibrate your set with Avia or Video Essentials. If, when done, your red colorbar is over-saturated, you may want to adjust for red-push by adjusting the AXNT and/or AXPL settings to change the red decoding (they toggle between 0 and 1). It would be a good idea to have your calibration DVD in and displaying bars when making these adjustments, so you can get a realtime view of the effect. Without special equipment, you have to make a judgement by eye on how saturated the red should be. Do NOT change red driver settings RDRV, RCUT... while they will reduce red saturation, they will also alter the color of your set.

-Scott

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks Scott. I've got one more question for you. Someone referred me to a faq done by a guy named Anthony W. Haukap. He details how to do the horizontal squeeze on almost any tv. Well, he mentions in his instructions for Wega's that you can save the setting in a different file on the tv's menu and basically just switch a single item in the service menu therefore allowing you to go from 4:3 to 16:9 by simply accessing the service menu and pressing a couple buttons. Does that sound right to you and do you know anything else about it?

Dan

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi,
If the only way to turn 16:9 is by going into the service menu everytime, its doesn't seem like a viable option for you. I doubt there's a command like what you mentioned. Given that your Tv is only 24", I'm sure you'll be able to survive without the 16:9 mode.

I wouldn't tinker with the service menu at all. Most of the service menu "fixes" aren't end solutions at all. They just make things a tad bit better and in some cases worse. I've tried the red push fix and it removes too much red and alters the other colours in the process.

The best thing to do with your TV to get the best picture is to just calibrate using Avia/VE/S&V Calibration Disc. And if you don't have those, the THX Optimode will do just fine. The differences in settings between THX and the other discs I found was minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks