I Just Love TV on DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

Don't you?

For years, all of my favorite TV shows were randomly picked selections on VHS. The X-Files, The Simpsons, Monty Python's Flying Circus and many others were put out as best-of's and it just wasn't worth it. (Technaclly...at least the viewer would get SOME episodes) Now I can finally put out my X-Files tapes to misery (but keep those awesome collectible cards!)! Yes, now we get season by season TV material on DVD! Well most of the time anyway...

But for some reason, I seem to enjoy TV shows rather than movies! :b

Oh yes and Universal better start jumping on the TV product bandwagon because I want Mr. Bean on DVD (or is it BBC's property? and also the Best Bits crap dosen't cut it).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

To be honest, there are not many TV shows that I would actually purchase for my home library. I have the Sopranos because I watch those over and over. I would buy Seinfeld (if ever) or even the WOnder Years. However, I have watched the X-files ever since the pilot, I love it, but I just can't see myself watching 9 seasons worth of hour long episodes on a regular basis.

People who are going to buy the whole Star Trek: TNG, do you actually think you're going to watch all the seasons more than once? To be honest, are we, as DVD consumers, just buying to collect these days? There are only so many hours in a day!

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I love my X-Files and Sopranos box sets, but we need more TV shows on DVD! I can't wait to get shows such as Cheers, Beavis and Butthead, Family Ties, Frasier, and Gilligan's Island just to mention a few.

I suppose it will take some time for all of the rights to be acquired and so forth, but I'm looking forward to more TV shows on DVD.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I vote for seasonal releases of "Everybody Loves Raymond" ... "The Fugitive" (orig. 1963-1967 David Janssen series) ... "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" ... "The Dick Van Dyke Show" ... and good ol' "Leave It To Beaver" (234 episodes strong from 1957-1963!). Wouldn't you just love these, too, Tyler T. of Houston??!! :b
    (Any others in the "must come soon to DVD" category?)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

The best reason (besides watching your favorite shows in pristine condition) is if you have never gotten into a series to be able to see the whole thing whenever you want!

I had never seen Sex and the city before I bought season 1 and am now hooked, The same goes for the Sopranos!

Tv on DVD is a incredible thing!

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'd definitely buy the following shows on DVD (only on season sets, of course):

- Seinfeld

- Mad About You

- Dawson's Creek

- The District

- Hill Street Blues

- Brooklyn South (Yes, I know it only lasted a season, but it truly was a great show.)

- Party of Five

- Diff'rent Strokes

- Punky Brewster

- Family Ties

- Cheers

- Perfect Strangers

- Caroline in the City

I'm about to break down and buy a DVD-R unit so I can make my own library off the syndicated reruns.

8. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

Love to see THE CRITIC and FAMILY GUY on DVD sometime soon.
    Now, if we can get THE OUTER LIMITS (original series) and THRILLER with your host Boris Karloff on DVD, I'd be a real happy camper.
    Also, STAR TREK: TOS repackaged into complete season sets would be nice.

9. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I think Family Guy is available, but only in R2.
    And I agree, The Outer Limits would rock [​IMG]

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Personally, I've never quite been able to get that hooked on to many TV shows so a lot of the TV product on DVD does not interest me. They are exceptions to this though; I look very foward to getting All In The Family on DVD. I also purchased Simpsons:Season One and I plan on purchasing Season 2. My one big wish for TV on DVD is to have Universal get on the bandwagon and start releasing some of their TV product, namely Miami Vice. I truly loved that show and would love to see it get released on to DVD with the original music etcetera. I doubt it will ever happen though.

11. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Shoot, I've even given thought to getting the Buffy series now! Now THAT is the power of TV on DVD, I've never seen one episode!

I have all the X-Files, Sopranos, Sex and the City, Fawlty Towers, and MASH in my collection at the moment and looking for MORE! MORE TV ON DVD! GIMME GIMME GIMME!

12. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

Space Ghost!

13. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

The best thing about TV on DVD for me is simple - no commercials! And unless you start taping a show from day 1 during its original broadcast, it's damn near impossible to get them uncut, and in order. Good picture quality and instant scene access are also great. With TV on DVD you are usually seeing a presentation that is actually SUPERIOR to its initial broadcast showing. The Simpsons and X-Files probably both look and sound better on DVD than when they were originally broadcast.

14. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

15. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I haven't bought any season box sets as yet, but when B5 and Batman: TAS (hopefully) come out (in season box sets), I'll be snatching them up for sure. [​IMG]

16. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

I'm dyin for a SPORTS NIGHT dvd set. I don't need any extras. Sports Night is just too good. I still catch the reruns at 2am.

OF course, then i want THe West Wing.

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

DavidVP said:

18. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Sounds like other companies should take notes from what they are doing with this collection!!!!!

19. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I currently own:

Simpsons Season 1

Buffy Season 1 (had NEVER seen an episode)

MASH Season 1

Fawlty Towers complete

Avengers-6 discs

Sex & the City (had seen 2 episodes

Howdy Doody-2 discs--highly recommended!

Have on preorder:

All in the Family season 1

Oz Season 1

Larry Sanders Show season 1

and I want more. NOW! Showtime, release Brothers. USA release The War Next Door.

Cannot have too much tv on DVD.

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I agree about being selective onTV Purchases. I've decided not to buy X Files because like you've said I would'nt rewatchregularly , but they are onevery day so if I get an urge. I Bought the planet of the apes show because I got it for $20. I have TOS and I will buy Trek (Except Voyager) because I would rewatch those often. I like the ability of grabbing a fav episode when the feeling hits. I've bought Space 1999 and will buy season 2. I Would buy UFO and also the first season of NYPD Blue if ever released. Ditto with Smallville. And I'm buying the 1st season of All inthe Family and I own MASH because 30 minutes is easy to sneak in.