I just lost my job today :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonD, Oct 28, 2002.

1. JasonD

JasonD Agent

Hey Folks,
    For the first time in 12 years I am unemployed. I was at my last job for 4 1/2 years. There were cuts in the tech dept which resulted in my jobless state. For the past few hours I've been calling/emailing/faxing various job placement firms. I've never filed for unemployment before so I had a few questions. Maybe someone could point me into the right direction:

1. In NJ what is the max number of hours I can work part time while receiving unemployment? (if possible)

2. How long does unemployment last for?

How is the job market where you live? Out here in NJ it does seem scarce. Thanks!

2. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Scarce here, too!

I finally found a new job, in August, after 10 months.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Tough luck Jason. Just keep your head up and I'm sure that you'll find something. Unfortunately the economy sucks and the job market sucks too. I may be with you soon since my current contract is open ended and I've been told that there's no money in the budget to keep me past Nov. I've been looking around but there just isn't much out there. The few recruiters that I'm hearing from are usually offering a pay rate at about 50% of what it should be. It's just pathetic.

I'm not sure how many hours you can work but I think you can collect Unemployment for up to 6 months.

4. Jeremy Brown

Jeremy Brown Agent

Here is NY, unemployment is more limited by how much you make. You can collect up to $400/week, and unemployment will make up the difference between income and that. In other words, if you are making $200/week at a job, you can collect $200/week on unemployment. This makes working part time while unemployed pretty much useless.

As far as the job market here (Rochester, NY), my brother has paid downsized twice in the last 9 months, and has found a new job in less than 2 months both times. It's not horrible, but not great either. Best wishes to you in finding a new job.

-Jeremy

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    After I was laid off from my job of 8 years last August, I was unemployed for 7 months until I landed a job, but the business folded three months later and I was once again out of work. I have only been able to find part time work, being a waiter/bartender at a country club. Been doing that since the middle of May. I have listed with job placement firms, the unemployment office, as well as sending my resume to every place which advertises help needed (with the exception of fast-food). The only reason I'm not doing that is because I make more working a 20 hour week at the club than I would at a 40 hour job as a fry cook. The most common response I get while being interviewed: I'm sorry, but you're overqualified for the position.
    It's pretty frustrating. [​IMG]

6. JasonD

JasonD Agent

Thanks for the suggestions and experiences. Looks like it's off to the unemployment agency tomorrow. My company is paying me for November and then that's it. I'm trying to push both my Technical Sales skills and Computer skills to each hopeful opportunity. My fiance and I are buying a house in December so this timing isn't the best. However, she makes a good living which can help a lot until I am back on my feet.

7. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Good luck. I will be in the unemployed boat in 2 weeks when my employer releases me. You might try temp agencies since it appears you are tied to a region. They don't cost anything for you and the jobs typically pay more (due to the limited benefits). They are often good to carry you until a permanent spot can be found.

Kenneth

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Best of luck, Jason!
    I was laid off exactly a year ago (I was a Unix/ Windows/ Database Administrator) at the end of this month. Unemployment lasts for 9 months, thanks to the recent extension that the government created. (It used to be 6 months.)
    The job market in the NYC area is a lot better than it was a year ago, but it's still not that great. This would be a good time to take some classes if you want a new certification or anything like that.
    I decided to get out of the corporate world. (I definitely recommend the book What Color Is Your Parachute if you want to think about a new type of job--it will really help you to think.) What do I love? Movies. (Go figure! [​IMG] ) I am a pretty good writer. So I decided to try and become a screenwriter. I sold my house in NJ and moved to Florida where I can live a lot cheaper, and I'm writing almost full time. I plan to get a job at Blockbuster or the mall for the holiday season, just to cover expenses, but I'm taking this time to make the effort to get into the "biz". I got really sick of begging for jobs I didn't really want after a few months.
    I also got certified as a technical writer, and I hope to parlay my tech experience into writing jobs that actually pay money, too. [​IMG]
    Good luck again!

9. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

I also was laid off late last October (another IT victim).. I was unemployed for just over 7 months before getting another job (50% pay cut, TERRIBLE hours, but a paycheck nonetheless).

Since I'm from NJ as well, I should be able to help you out.. File immediately. You can do it online and then you'll get a letter in the mail telling you where and when to go for orientation. 1-2 weeks after that, you'll get your first check. Then you just need to phone in every 2 weeks to let them know you're still out of work, and the checks keep coming. Because of the current state of the economy, there have been a few extensions.

As for part-time work, it's almost not worth it. You get $475/wk max. I forget the exact formula they use, but it was like if you made over $50/wk, then the amount over that was deducted from your weekly amount. If you're going to do something, do something off the books, like bartending. I always meant to do that, but got lazy and just watched TV and slept instead.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yes, if you get a part-time job, get paid in cash so you need not report it. It's funny how the government makes it easier to not work at all than to try and help yourself out with part time work. My wife was recently unemployed and she had to pass on some contracting work as it would have gutted her unemployment and left us in a worse situation. She finally found someone willing to pay cash, it helped us out a lot.

11. JasonD

JasonD Agent

Thanks for the suggestions. I just filed yesterday online so I'll keep my eyes out for the paperwork to follow. In the meantime I've been studying for my A+. I'm already an MCP for Windows Pro 2000 and having another title won't hurt. There are also job fairs coming up so if anyone in NJ is interested, send me an email. [email protected] Thanks.

12. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm also in NJ and from what my friends are telling me, the job market is quite competitive now. Tech jobs are scarce and the qualifications for the jobs out there seem almost unreasonable. I've been working here as a contractor for the past 3 years and they *say* I'm still good until atleast early next year, but who knows. All I know is that they're paying alot of cash for me per hour - my agency's billing rate for me is astronomical... so I'm probably one of the first to go...

Good luck

13. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Aaron,

Do you know if they are still giving out the 13-week extension? I'm on my 5th month of unemployment, and I can't tell if this extension is still going on or what conditions apply for it.

I'm in Texas and they say that they will "let you know by mail" if you qualify.

I'm with you as far as getting out of IT altogether. This industry is for people who are young, with no wife/girlfriend, no kids, no hobbies or outside interests. Just working, eating, drinking, reading, breathing, about computers 24/7/365.

The requirements that employers are looking for are unreasonable, and what they are willing to pay is a joke.

14. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Jason, good luck with your job search. I was laid off about 6 weeks ago, but I have a job interview next week! So there is some hope.

Getting out of IT is not a bad idea. It's an extreme employers market right now.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm also an IT guy that got laid off just recently.

Hopefully, when stuff like this happens, you can turn a seemingly bad situation into a good one. I just enrolled in a full-time training course that places in you in a position after its completion and qualifies you to get certified. It's expensive, but I don't want to be scrapping for whatever work I can get. With some hard work and a little luck, one may turn unemployment into a shift into a more rewarding direction for one's career. This is the plan, at least.