What's new

I just left my rear projection HDTV on a pure black screen for 24 hours!! Will this.. (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
...harm my TV!?

I am soo pissed right now, I have a 1.5 month old Sony 51" rear projection TV that is properly calibrated with Digital Video Essentials.

Apparently someone in my house watched TV yesterday morning and turned off the digital cable box/DVR but left the TV on!!! See, to get the cable to work I have it hooked up through Video 5 on my TV and if the cable box is off the screen is black, so apparently the person thought the TV was off but it wasn't. I just went in there and realized it was still on!!

Will this harm my TV in anyway whatsoever??

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If it was a CRT 'showing' black, it probably didn't really hurt anything.

If it was LCD or DLP, it'd 'hurt' the lamp, in that it put an extra 24 hours on the thing.

If it was LCD, it may have helped age the panels. (Note that this is for RPTV. Direct View LCD should be okay with this.)

Leo Kerr

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
So basically it got 24 hours of use....but no bad or ill harm effects took place correct? I don't mind if its just like I watched TV on it for 24 hours. I was concerned about burnin or something negative happening...

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
For a non-LCD type projector, I'd think that running black was the least harm you could have done (apart from turning if off, which has its own risks..)

Leo

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You're lucky it was showing black. Was it 100% black (no channel # or anything)?

Make sure to threaten someone's life for leaving it on. :D

Rolando

Screenwriter
Unless I am totally wrong this does nothing to the TV. If it is a traditional RPTV, a CRT RPTV that is, it is almost the same if not exactly the same as having it off. Did it a few times accidentally.

If it was all white then my friend it would be the opposite or if it was un-even like half black, half color constantly on the same spots.

Someone will give you the details I am sure.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
When I walked into the room I did not see any display on the screen. See it was 2 am and the room was very dark and I noticed the TV was someone shimmering....I was like WTF, and hit the power button and turned the TV off....I was pissed.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If I was you I would gather EVERYBODY up in the house & explain to them the TV gets Turned "OFF" FIRST then the Cable Box or NEVER Turn the Cable Box "OFF" (I know a lot of people that do this) then they'll know when they have turned the TV "OFF" You should be OK though with NO Harm To The Set At All but for the Future TV "OFF FIRST" !!!

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I've done this many time. Fell asleep on the sofa, turned off the cable box, but forgot to turned off the tv.

I use the "sleep" function a lot.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Actually, I've had ISF calibrators say leave the tv turned on with a all black screen to help keep the calibrated settings.

So you actually have nothing to worry about. I've gone weeks with my tv left on constantly.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My wife did this last night. She was watching a DVD and turned the player off but left the TV on when she was done. There's no pulse or anything on a Toshiba 57h84. The only way to know it is on is the red power light

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Use the Auto Shut off feature.

My CRT RPTV turns off if it is not getting a signal after 15 minutes.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

With a CRT TV, a black screen will never cause burn. The TV has 3 CRTs. One green, one red, and one blue. To make black, none of them are on. You burn or wear them by using them. A white screen would use all 3 and would wear them the fastest.

Matt

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

What do you mean? Shouldn't your set be saving all of the settings even if you turned it off?

Rolando

Screenwriter
What Matthew Todd said!

that's what I meant...

told you someone would give you more detail.:D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The long term solution is to buy a really good universal remote, preferrably one with advanced macro ability.

I would suggest a Harmony 659 universal remote...it is a state-based remote that "remembers" what devices are on. You select an activity, such as "Watch TV", and it can turn on your Cable Box, turn on the TV, switch the TV source input to the cable box input, turn on the receiver, switch the receiver to the cable box audio input, etc. Then, when you are done, just press the "Off" button on the remote, and it will automatically shut off every device it knows is turned on. Really handy. :)

(and you can then hide all the other remotes to keep pesky roommates/siblings/parents away from them)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

Yes it keeps your settings. But, because of the convergence shift that your crt's will do, keeping the set on they will stay static longer. After your set is calibrated, it will eventually have to be calibrated again, leaving the set on it is supposed to give you more time before the next calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks