I just installed my new HT system and I have a couple of dilemmas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Go, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Marc Go

Marc Go Agent

I just installed an Onkyo 595 receiver, Pioneer DVD player, cable box, Mistubishi 35" TV, and Panasonic VCR. Here are my dilemmas:
    The Mitsubishi is an OLD TV with only two inputs (TV and cable). When I first hooked up the system I used S Videos for the DVD to the receiver and then the TV to the receiver. The DVD worked fine, but when I trued to watch TV or watch a VHS tape I got sound from the cable box (VCR), but I could not get video. This is because I was using just the one input and the VCR could not read the S Video. The tech support guy at Crutchfield said that I needed to get a new TV with more inputs to alleviate this. For now I am using analog video for everything (DVD and VCR) and it works fine, but am I really missing DVD quality without the S Videos? I know now that composite is the best, but my TV has no composite connections. The other suggestion that I thought of is to buy a new VCR that accepts S Video and then I can use the one input for both DVD and VCR using S Video. WIll this work? So I wouldn't use analog for everything, but S videos. Does any of this make sense??
    The other issue is that when I use the TV through the cable box (VCR) the sound comes out of the home theater speakers only, not the TV, which is fine. When I switch the input on the TV to get the TV signal I only hear sound through the TV speakers, and the home theater speakers keep the sound that was on the cable box. I have the audio out from the VCR to the receiver. If I move that to the audio out of the TV, have I solved this problem? Will sound now come out of the home theater speakers regardless what input on the TV I am using? Also will this automatically power out the TV speakers or will I have to manually turn them off?This is not a big deal because my wife and kid can watch TV and not necessarily have to use the HT system.
    I hope I made sense in my questions. I am new to home theater and am trying to set this up myself. I was going to hire a professional until answers to an earlier post of mine convinced me to try it myself. I saved a few hundred dollars and I am glad I did!
    By the way I am already thinking that I should have bought the Onkyo 696 instead of the 595...a little more power. I thought I was done buying stuff! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF THE HELP!

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

What you need seems to me is a multiple input to single output switch box which should be available at places like BB or CC. Other than that it's a matter of figuring out the proper wiring.
    Btw, what I think you meant to say was 'component' instead of composite but given the limited # of inputs your TV has I doubt if component performance was what they had in mind.
    PF
    [Edited last by PomingF on August 27, 2001 at 01:57 PM]

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Marc, this is what I would do: connect the DVD player, cable box and VCR to your Onkyo receiver using S-video....the composite (RCA) video output from your VCR can be converted to S-video with one of these . You can also use one of these for your cable box if it doesn't already output S-video (I'm assuming it does output at least composite (RCA) video). Then you'll only need an S-video cable to carry the video signals from all three video sources to one input on your TV via S-video.
    Also, connect the coaxial cable from your cable box to your VCR and then out to the TV....this will allow other family members to watch TV/cable/VCR without turning on the A/V receiver if they choose to do so.
    As far as your receiver goes, I don't see any reason to upgrade to the next model unless you feel that the 595 is underpowered, which I wouldn't expect unless you're Home Theater is unusually large.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------

4. Marc Go

Marc Go Agent

Thanks for the Radio Shack info. I am going to buy one and give it a try. This will enable me to utilize the S Video for my DVD now that everything is S Video compatible. As far as my audio question, my TV has picture and picture (not 2 tuner). How will this impact how I set my coaxial cables? Again I was told to connect the TV audio analog cables to the receiver rather than the VCR. This way anything seen on TV will be sent to the HT speakers. If I do this though, will the DVD audio be sent via these analog cables or from the optical hookup I currently have?
    Unfortunately for every question I ask, there are two more that I am having! One day I will be an expert...maybe!

5. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Marc,
    Think I can answer one of your questions... bare in mind I'm somewhat new myself. Since you DVD is connected to your reciever via optical, as long as you select DVD on you 595, the signal won't even reach your TV, since it's out of the loop. Now if you connected you DVD audio inputs to your TV, then it would get rerouted from the TV to the HT.
    BTW... I think the 595 has more than enough power.
    Mike D.

6. Marc Go

Marc Go Agent

Mike D,
    You answered my question perfectly. I do hook the DVD directly to the receiver. Therefore when I choose DVD on the 595 I will get audio optically right from the DVD.
    My questions are becoming fewer and fewer...
    :)

7. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Doesn't the 696 have the composite to S-Video conversion built in? Might be another reason to get the 696 - it will do exactly what you are trying to do.
    Bryan