I just have to say... WOW.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david_b_m, Feb 19, 2003.

1. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

I know this isn't purely a speaker related post but I'm all excited and don't have anyone else to tell.

I recieved my new speakers a couple weeks ago, a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton T500 towers (and all accompanying surround speakers, which are not yet in place). I connected them to my existing Harman/Kardon Prologic receiver (AV180? don't remember right now) and was quite pleased at the results. Left it this way for quite some time.

Last night I finally got around to unpacking and connecting the new receiver, a Marantz SR7200. While my wife was watching a movie on Dish Network PPV, I proceeded to connect the speakers to the new receiver, using my "good" speaker cable (DIY cat5 based biwire cable "similar" to Kimber 4TC), and connected the receiver to the satellite using the optical digital out.

Powered up, switched over from the old system to the new, and WOW. I never expected such a significant difference, even though it was not the best "a/b" comparison - changed speaker cable, switched to biwire configuration, new receiver, and optical to the receiver's DAC instead of RCAs from the satellite outputs. But the results were literally astonishing. Everything became just ridiculously clearer, voices, sound effects, bass all came through like I just took cotton out of my ears. I know Dish sound isn't the greatest reference point, but on the PPV stations it's pretty decent. I can't wait to get it hooked up to the digital out on the HTPC dvd player! Tonight I finish the attic cable runs for the surround speakers and the fun really begins!

Anyway... summary:

Marantz SR7200 = GOOD
    me = excited
    home theater = fun

thanks for listening!

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well I am a least happy for you!

Enjoy the new hooked up toys

Geoff

3. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

I too am aproud owner of CSW speakers, but not the T500's, I wish. What are you using for your surrounds?

Me:
    L,R,CC = CSW MC300's
    RR,LR = MC200's
    Sub = CSW 10s

4. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

My setup WILL be:

T500 L,R
    MC500 C
    S300 LR,RR
    MC300 CR

The T500s have decently solid built-in subs, and I have an additional powered home-built sub based on a JBL 15" driver, bandpassed enclosure that only really picks up the 20-60Hz range, and it does that part VERY well.

Currently I only have the left and right mains hooked up, I'm still finishing up the wiring runs for the surrounds and I don't have a stable place to put the front center just yet.

I'm a little worried about the S300 right and left surrounds matching up OK with the MC300 center rear surround, so I may end up trading in the S300s for 2 more MC300s. Not sure on that one yet, I'll see how it works out. This is what Cambridge suggests for a 6.1 system so I figured I'd give it a shot.

5. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

That's quite a set up, sounds good. I had the S200's but wasn't impressed with them

6. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

I have the 7200 as well....I love it, but I need a little more power for the Paradigm Studio 100's. The HK receivers aren't what they used to be. I still have my HK PM640VXI Integrated Amp and I use it with my computer. It still packs a punch....

Ted

7. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

8. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

You are right........For music I usually have it at -9 and for Reg. Tv viewing, around -20.

9. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

Well I guess I'm glad to hear I don't have a defective unit or absurdly low sensitivity speakers! I suppose it doesn't really matter, it's just strange to get used to. Back in the high school days of car stereo, it was supposed to be "so loud you can't even LISTEN to it above 50% volume" but realistically this sounds phenomenal when it's turned up as loud as I can stand it no matter what position on the knob that requires!

10. Shamus

Shamus Auditioning

David,
    I have the same set up as yours. Ive had it for about 2 months now and really love the speakers. The MC500 center is a great match for the mains since it uses the same drivers as the mains mid and tweeter. This eliminates alot of the problems people have with matching their centers with the mains. The CSW T500 HT system gets 2 thumbs up from me.
    The verdict is still out on the Marantz SR7200 though. The first thing that burned me was the manual. Very poorly written. For example, no where does it explain how to view the on screen set up. Seems simple now, but I was 10 years behind on Hifi technology prior to this system. Also, I dont like how you cant adjust the LFE cut-off, or maybe I hust havent found it yet. As for the volume setting- Im listning in a 15x34 foot room and I usualy have the volume set at about -19db. I dont know where this is as a percent.
    But it does sound great. I guess thats the important thing.