What's new

I just had the best Ice Cream ever!!! (1 Viewer)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
I've always been partial to B&J's Phish Food, but the Karamel Sutra sounds pretty tasty, I'll have to give it a try.:)

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Ahh...Boston ice cream! One of the things I miss most about my time in Beantown! And the undisputed heavyweight champeeeeeen.... Herrell's chocolate pudding ice cream! The stuff is halfway between ice cream and pudding -- they don't hand you a scoop so much as an amorphous mass that oozes in the cup (I could never manage to eat it safely in a cone....). Like The Blob, but tastier! No chocolate ice cream experience outside of some gelaterias in Florence, Italy has ever compared! I make a beeline for the nearest Herrell's outpost every time I visit Boston/Cambridge.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Though Toscanini's didn't have a Harvard Square branch while I went to school there, the few times I made it to the Central Square (or was it Kendall?) branch, I always got a scoop of their hazelnut -- divine!!
As for Christina's, I must confess, aside from the novelty of some of their flavors (they still make Sex on the Beach?), I never really got into their stuff too much. Maybe I was too distracted by the BBQ at Jake and Earl's next door.... (Dan - ever tried their clam chowder ice cream? A singularly unforgettable, and disgusting, experience....)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Heyal yes! Blue Bell Rocks!

Ive recently started drooling over the ice cream from Marble Slap Creamery at the local mall.

Holy Cow thats some good ice cream! Cheese Cake with Strawberrys, woah!

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
The Herrell's Chocolate Pudding is truly outstanding, but I'm going to stand by the Mocha Explosion. It is definitely more of a traditional ice cream than the Chocolate Pudding, but nearly as chocolaty. I haven't tried any of the, well, disgusting Christina's flavors, but I do like their Burnt Sugar or Green Tea when I'm in the mood for something offbeat.
FYI, Schlesinger expanded the East Coast Grill into the space occupied by Jake and Earl's. They still do outstanding ribs, just no more take-out section. Jake and Earls's lives on a its own rather hip restaurant in Waltham, and as Jake's Boss BBQ in Jamaica Plain.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Springer's Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream (in Stone Harbor, NJ)...
I'll second Jay's Blueberry Cheesecake as one of my favorite alternative flavors. I also love pumpkin. I recently tried Gingerbread ice cream.....:p) MMMMmmmmmm....Gingerbread ice cream.....

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
My favorites are:

HD - Rum Raisin
Breyers: French Vanilla
Publix (local Supermarket) - Homemade Peach
Good Humor- Chocolate Sundae Cup (with semi sweet chocolate and vanilla ice cream). Unforunately, not available anymore. Childhood favorite from the 50s.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
Goldenbrook...a brand name exclusive (afaik) to the Brookshires grocery store chain here in the mid-south. their best is strawberry with chocolate a close second.
Bluebunny's Chocolate Fudge Supreme Brownie...or something like that, my most recent favorite
and so now it is your lucky day......
my homemade recipe....you will thank me later
4 cups of seeded watermelon, diced
1 cup sugar
splash of lemon juice
dash of salt
1/4 oz (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
combine in a blender the first 4 ingredients and blend until smooth then chill in the fridge
in a small saucepan heat the water on med heat for 2 minutes. then while constantly stirring add the package of gelatin and stir until dissolved.
put the melon/sugar, the liquid gelatin, and the cream in your icecream maker. you know, with the rock salt and ice.
if anyone asks who made it, tell em its my recipe but you made it, but it was stirred by the finger of GOD.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
To add valuable input to this thread (and certainly for no other reason), I sampled some B&J Karamel Sutra last night. It's very good, but I don't think that it's the best I've ever had. The caramel seemed to be distributed very unevenly and there didn't seem to be enough of it IMHO.

Nobody here from St. Louis has mentioned Fritz's, although technically that's frozen custard and not ice cream.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The caramel seemed to be distributed very unevenly and there didn't seem to be enough of it IMHO.
It's not supposed to be "distributed evenly," hence the wording on the package "Core Concoctions." The caramel is supposed to be all in the center (i.e. "the core"). As for the quantity, who knows.
Around here, you can buy B&J's "seconds." Sometimes you get a pint that has more add-in's than ice cream. I got a pint of "Mint Chocolate Cookie" one time that was about equal parts ice cream and cookies. Then again, sometimes you get "Chunky Monkey" even though you bought a pint that says "Cherry Garcia." Seconds are a gamble. :)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
It's not supposed to be "distributed evenly," hence the wording on the package "Core Concoctions." The caramel is supposed to be all in the center (i.e. "the core"). As for the quantity, who knows.
In my case yesterday, there was a fair amount of caramel in the center at the top. As I moved down, the caramel core became about the circumference of three toothpicks and wandered way to the side. And then at the bottom, there was a bigger gob of caramel (also near the center). So what I meant by not being "distributed evenly" was that that for most of my eating experience, the caramel was practically non-existent, with an extra amount at the start and at the end.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So what I meant by not being "distributed evenly" was that that for most of my eating experience, the caramel was practically non-existent, with an extra amount at the start and at the end.
Sounds like it should have been a "second," but didn't get kicked. :frowning:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It really shouldn't count, but I love Cold Stone Creamery. I think somebody else mentioned it before, but I swear they put crack into their sweet cream selection.

Anywho, I need to try that Ben and Jerry's flavor of Karamel Sutra. It sounds like it's getting some good recommendations here.

I love food threads at the HTF!!!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Another non-lover of the B&J Karamel Sutra. Chocolate too rich, vanilla kinda bland while the caramel was good, there wasn't enough to salvage it and creat a loyal new buyer of the brand.
My six year old and I try new flavors sometimes and he has become quite the expert. We keep returning to the Blue Bell brand and his fav is Homemade Old Fashioned Vanilla. I waver between that one, Choc Covered Cherry, and Black Walnut... all Blue Bell.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, Ice Cream has to be the proper temperature to achieve the proper flavor - partially melted.
I just wanted to go back to the original post, my g/f looks at me funny everytime I put the ice cream in the microwave, I totally agree on this point!!!

MicheleB

Auditioning
Excellent:
http://www.lapperts.com/todaysflavors.html
Coconut, macadamia nut, chocolate mix
The best vanilla ever:
http://www.doublerainbow.com/
The best flavored gelato mix:
http://www.paciugo.com/
Black Cherry Swirl and Hazelnut Soy
Although, really, its hard to pick just 2.
The best grocery store:
Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia
Blue Bell Country Vanilla will do in a pinch.
Haven't ever nuked the ice cream, although I've seen others do it. I wouldn't want to put nuked ice cream back in the freezer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks