What's new

I just had the best Ice Cream ever!!! (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra.

In my opinion, Ice Cream has to be the proper temperature to achieve the proper flavor - partially melted.

This pint has a strip of caramel [cylindrical] in the center of the pint from the top to the bottom.

I'm not sure of the reason, but it seems to give the Ice cream the perfect temperature, texture, and creaminess.

I was in a state of pure ice cream Nirvana. The best Ice Cream that I have ever had.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have had that before, it's OK

B&Js needs more air whipped into it, the fatty part of the ice cream coats your tastebuds and you can't taste anything after a few bites, it's just toooooo dense.

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
When I saw the title of this subject I jest KNEW that you were going to post about Blue Bell ice cream, which IS the best ice cream on the planet.

Great, now I want Blue Bell..

Chris

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well I like DOTS, even though it's only available in theme parks around here. :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
First, there was the the French Vanilla ice cream that my mom made. It's hard for anything to compete with my memory of that.

Then, there was Haagen Daz vanilla. Eggy enough to remind me of mom's, if not quite as good. In general, I like HD flavors better than B&J's.

Later there was HD Cookie Dough Dynamo. Wonderful flavors and textures and a surprisingly good slow-burning bicycle fuel. Haven't seen any in a couple years.

Right now, my fave is Starbuck's White Chocolate Latte. Ice cream, soft white chocolate and coffee all in one. I gain weight just thinking about it.

Jason L.

Second Unit
Chris,

I remember when I moved to Texas people just raved about Blue Bell. I couldn't wait to try it. The stuff is gross. It tasted like a stick of butter.

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously you got a bad batch; OBVIOUSLY. Or, maybe you don't recall striking your tongue with a ball peen hammer just prior to taking your first bite! Why, if I were wearing gloves I'd pull one of them off and smite you with it across the face for offending the greatest ice cream on the planet! Wars have begun that way sir!!! :D
Chris

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hmmmmm, Welsh Farms Peanut Butter ice cream... Mmmmmmmmmm
Springer's Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream (in Stone Harbor, NJ)...
I've had Dots before but not anywhere near here. Had some at the Alaska State Fair in Palmer, AK last year.... Eddie Money was even there singing "Take me home tonight" La La La La La...
:D
Jay

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Dots are available at practically every movie theater here.
As far as off-the-shelf brands, I'm partial to Edy's Dreamery Coney Island Waffle Cone. That said, there are a plenty of dairies and ice cream stores around here that make their own ice cream that tastes better than any store bought stuff.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Two completely different ice creams:

A homemade raspberry that we made when I was a kid. I picked the raspberries from bushes out back, my Mom made the cream and then I’d churn the cream (in an old-fashioned ice-cream maker, where you turned a crank) until the cream was getting a bit thick—add the raspberry mixture and continue until frozen. Just magnificent.

The other is a very dark, bitter chocolate that I used to get at several places in Buenos Aries. Best chocolate I’ve ever had.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Jason on this one. Karamel Sutra is very good stuff. Its a perfect blend of chocolate and vanila, with a big caramel buffer zone in between.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I grew up in Texas and used to wait all winter for the summer Blue Bell flavors (pistachio chocolate truffle was my favorite). The Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla was also a favorite.

But I just returned from visiting my folks in Texas and tasted Blue Bell for the first time in a few years. Not as good as I remembered it.

My favorite? Easy. Emack and Bolio's Cookies and Cream (they claim to be the originators of that flavor). I don't know if that's available outside of Boston, but I think there are shops in New York and possibly Orlando, of all places. Maybe elsewhere.

Also, Haagan-Daz's coffee ice cream has long been a favorite. And I agree with the originator of this thread: B&J's Karamel Sutra is the finest flavor to emerge in the past year, possibly the finest going all the way back to Cherry Garcia. Their similar "fudge truffle" loaded flavor is not quite as good IMO.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
Next time you are across the river in Cambridge, go try "Gina's Mocha Explosion" at Christina's on Cambridge St. Got to be the best ice cream in the Boston area.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
I vote for Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate as the best from a store.

However, nothing can compare with homemade ice cream right after it's made, as long as you don't pick one of those yucky diet recipes. If you save homemade ice cream it seems to be worse than store bought after about 8 hours.

Hmmm.... Makes you wonder what Blue Bell ice cream would taste like if you ate it right after being made!

Jay Taylor

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Gina's Mocha Explosion... I've made a note of that!

Alex, Karamel Sutra is both chocolate and vanilla with chocolate chunks (dark and white, I think) surrounding a core of deep, rich caramel.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My ice cream addiction has been Cold Stone Creamery (yes I know they weren't the first to do the mix-ins but they are darned good at what they do!)
I routinely drive miles out of my way to go to a Cold Stone and customize my ice cream. The girlfriend and I usually use a coffee ice cream base, with any combination of the following mix-ins:
Brownie
Peanut Butter
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Chocolate syrup
Caramel
- mind you we usually only get between 1-3 of those mix-ins. Oh the cool thing is that some places don't have peanut butter ice cream as a standard selection...no prob, they'll just put peanut butter and mix it in with the sweet cream and voila! I love this place! :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My personal favorite was "Purple Cow" by Shain's Of Maine. Pretty simple - Black Raspberry with white chocolate swirled in - but oh, was it good.

The ironic thing was, Shain's couldn't sell it. For the first three summers I was in college, I ran a tiny ice cream stand in my hometown of North Yarmouth, Maine, and Jeff Shain was my supplier for the last two years. I ordered it constantly, and the folks around liked it, but it was eventually discontinued because no-one else went for it. Too bad, it was great stuff.

That Jalapeno thing, though... ::shudders::

Recently, one that caught my fancy is "Cake Batter" at Toscannini's. Not the greatest e-vah, but a nifty tasting ice cream to have once or twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks