I just had a tour of IMAX headquarters

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris Dias, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Well actually it wasn't so much of a tour as it was a presentation. First we got to play with some of the cameras and see how they work. I picked up on of the cameras that the Sherpas carried to the top on Everest and it was crazy how heavy it was. Go Sherpas.

Then we went into their theatre and got a presentation. They talked about their DMR (transfering 35mm to IMAX) process. I've got to say, I am was really impressed by this. I am much more excited than I used to be. I think I'll go see The Matris Reloaded now, and I'll probably see Revolutions there on opening night

One thing that I couldn't believe was when he said that a single digitized frame takes up 200 MB of space. Whoa. I also didn't realize that they totally remaster that soundtracks for the films and their sound system doesn't use any compression whatsoever.

Anyway it was a great tour and I learned alot. I've always loved IMAX and now i've got all the more reason to like them.

Chris Dias

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I've worked in an IMAX theater for a large part of my time in school and I absolutely love the format (granted some of the content could use a little work sometimes).

I'd love to get a job at actual IMAX corporation or some industry affiliated with them, but I'm not sure there is really much place for electrical engineers that special in digital design there, lol. [​IMG]

3. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Stunt Coordinator

Chris, can you tell us where exactly where you saw this tour?(address if possible?) Thanks

4. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Anthony, IMAX headquatrters is located in Missisauga. 2525 Speakman Drive to be exact.

Sean, the reason I was there was because I was sort of looking for a job with them as an Optical Engineer. They didn't have anything but I was sort of schmoozing around making contacts.

Like I said, it was great to be there but of course as soon as I left I thought of all these extra questions that I could have asked. Oh well.

Chris

5. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Trivia time:
    I am one of the inventors of the 3D liquid crystal displays used in IMAX 3D goggles. We invented it for standard computer monitors to view 3D models of chemicals for research. The image would appear 6-8 inches outside and inside the monitor surface. Colors were so saturated we had to soften them up because of eye strain. It's very cool the technology got used for something worthwhile . . . like movies!!