What's new

I just had a sweet deal offered to me........ (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I am suppose to be getting my 36HS500 Sony on Monday but I talked to a local store last night about something unrelated and after the salesman asked me a million questions about my new tv he offered me the NEW 36HS510 for the same price I paid for my HS500! I coudln't believe it but he was willing to match everything Circuit City did for me!

What do you guys think? Is it worth the trouble i'd have to go through?

Dan.B

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What trouble would it be? Sounds like a good deal getting this year's model for last year's price. :)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, i'd have to drive to the new store (ABT Electronics) which is about 30 minutes away. That whole trip to buy the tv would probably be an hour and half of my time. Then I have to head to Circuit City to cancel my purchase which also involves me calling that credit card company to close the account I opened with them. Which also means i'll have to wait a few weeks for a check refunded my first payment I alredy made to them. :angry:

Thats a big pain in the ass but I think it will be worth it. I've heard the HS510's have last year's XBR wideband amplifier and that sounds like a good thing. I also love the new remote design. :emoji_thumbsup: I think i'm going to do it tonight. I've got nothing else going on. :)

Dan.B

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Unless the new models have a lower MSRP??? ...this has been the trend for the past few years.

Best wishes!

Gregg

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'm not understanding your response Greg. The MSRP of the 36HS500 is $1999.99. The 36HS510 is being released at $1799.99. Of course no one is selling the HS500 for anything more than $1600 at this point.

Dan.B

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
So you were originally getting a TV at 20% off of list. Now you are being switched to a TV at about 10 % off of list.

I bet his commission is better :)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Ok. Get a load of this. I head over to Circuit City after work to cancel my TV purchase with them. I'm only cancelling it because they don't even have the HS510's in stock yet! The manager told me over the phone he would match the other store's price but he didn't have the tv to give me. :frowning: So, I get into the store and the cashier calls over the manager any time someone is going to cancel a big purchase a I guess. He immediately is showing great interest in keeping my buisness with his store and he offers me an even better deal!

He tell me he'll sell me the 36HS500 for $1299! He's taking an additional $200 off the price! So, I act like i'm happy with that but I tell him I want one more thing thrown in the deal. I request a remote from one of the new HS510. :) :D That may sound stupid but I love the way the new Sony remotes look so I told him I wanted one. He told me he would order one immediately and I could come in next week and trade in my remote for the new one. Done deal!

So, I got enough money to cover all my cables costs (picked up the best monster component and optical) and I got the new remote as well! He also told me that if I changed my mind in a couple weeks I could just pay back the extra $200 and he'd give me the 36HS510 for $1499 at that time. :emoji_thumbsup:

I couldn't be happier with Circuit City and I recommend them to anyone. They really do seem to care about keeping customers and I couldn't have asked for a more sweet offer. What do you guys think? Is the HS510 worth an extra $200? Is that wideband amplifier going to make a noticable difference? Either way i'm going to be in HDTV paradise come Monday. :)

Dan.B

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's pretty cool. Sounds like maybe their recently revised approach to customer service might be showing up in your case. I read about their new corporate-wide refocusing of customer service and such over on AVSForum (and maybe here also) a couple months ago.

Also, over in the Panny TV forum, I believe somebody posted about his/her local CC actually doing a pricematch against an online dealer, which is a change from the recent trend of these B&M big chains.

Hmmm... Sounds like I should steer my in-laws to CC to buy their first RPTV--nope, they still haven't done it. Just get them to match a respectable dealer plus offer good service is all anyone can ask w/ a good conscience me thinks. :D

Just hope all this isn't actually more of a bad indicator for the economy than big corporate doing right by their customers...

_Man_

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats...

I have noticed that sometimes B&M stores are willing to work with you. I just picked up a Panny 53wx42 from soundtrack for $1350. Not a massive discount, but enough to make me happy (every place else wanted $1400).

Kimo B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks