I just got Red Dragon on DVD (legally)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pierson, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Pardon me if this has already been posted...

So I go to the mailbox yesterday and there's an envelope from Universal Studios. I open it up and there's an Academy Awards Screener copy of Red Dragon and a copy of the Danny Elfman soundtrack, along with a form letter from Brett Ratner praising Danny Elfman's score and asking for Oscar consideration for the music.

Needless to say I'm a little puzzled, being a school teacher in Washington state, and NOT being a member of the academy. Then I notice that the letter is addressed to Film Score Monthly readers. SO I check their message board and sure enough lots of Film Score Monthly readers are receiving the same package. It turns out that Brett Ratner is a big film music fan and decided to send the promo stuff to all of FSM's US subscribers. How cool is that?

So the CD soundtrack is the same cd package you would buy in the store with the booklet and cover art, etc. The DVD, however, is in a plain blue cover with the Universal logo and the title only on the front cover and spine. The back has "For your consideration:" and a list of all the major players and techies.

I played the DVD last night and there is no menu, it just starts playing. Instead of the usual copyright warning page, it says this DVD is for academy award consideration only, and any sale, rental, public perfromance, etc is forbidden, blah, blah...

Then the movie starts. I don't know when this will be released on home video, but this will be a killer disc (no pun intended...well, maybe a little one). Video and audio were both superb, lots of atmospheric bass, great fidelity in the surrounds, etc. the video was anamorphic and beautifully mastered. And the movie was pretty good--much better than I was expecting. I didn't see this in the theater as I was skeptical of the remake. I liked Manhunter, and did not see the need to revisit it. But I have to say, they did a good job. The performances were all terrific, but how cool would it have been to have Scott Glenn play Jack Crawford instead of Harvey Keitel? Then the consistency would have been complete between this and Silence of the Lambs.

The only minor drawback was that once every 30 minutes, a screen crawl came across the bottom of the screen reiterating that this DVD is for awards consideration only and no other public use is authorized....

Small price to pay for a free video a couple months before street date. Thanks to Film Score Monthly and Brett Ratner for such a cool surprise. I'm now an even more loyal subscriber.

Happy New Year!
    Scott

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That is definitely cool. While I thought Red Dragon was definitely better than Hannibal, Silence of the Lambs (MGM version) will be the only "Hannibal" movie on my bookshelf. [​IMG]

3. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Red Dragon might just be my favorite of the Hannibal films and Im a big fan of the books as well. Glad to hear that this disc is gonna be nice on the presentation. Any word on whether its a 2-Disc or not! Please let it be!

4. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

There's one on ebay, but I thought there would be a few more by now.

I wonder if fools will pay OTT as they usually do for unavailable items on ebay!

5. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

If you life Red Dragon I urge you to see Manhunter which too me is a stronger film. Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter.

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I have to disagree. Red Dragon is NOT a remake of Manhunter. The only reason they have any similarities is because they both are based on the same source material, the Red Dragon novel. Personally, I like Red Dragon a little more than Manhunter. But Manhunter is a fine film in its own right as well.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I agree with Todd. Red Dragon is just a new adaptation of the same book (not a remake).

Also, shouldn't we being specs for the "real" DVD soon?

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm with Todd and Bill. If Manhunter were the original source material (i.e. it didn't exist in any other form, novel or otherwise) then you could say Dragon is a remake of it. But since the ORIGINAL MATERIAL is the novel entitled Red Dragon, both movies are ADAPTATIONS of that novel to the bigscreen.

9. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I'm not sure whether I'd consider "Red Dragon" a remake or not. I do believe two films can adapt the same source material and one wouldn't be considered a remake of the other. For example, "Batman: The Movie" and Tim Burton's 1989 "Batman" movie were both based on the DC comic but Burton's "Batman" actually borrowed nothing from "Batman: The Movie" so I wouldn't call that a remake. I'll use Burton as another example of what I consider a remake. Burton's "Planet of the Apes" was, contrary to what Burton himself said, a remake because it actually took many details from the original films, rather than just ignoring them and adapting Pierre Boulle's novel. Now "Red Dragon" doesn't actually refer to anything in "Manhunter" specifically, but there are a few correlations. First of all, the director of photography on both films is Dante Spinotti. Secondly, Frankie Faison appears (in his fourth Lecter film appearance, his first appearance being Lt. Fisk in "Manhunter", and Barney in the three Hopkins films) and third, it's produced by Dino DeLaurentiis. I don't know if that would define "Red Dragon" as a remake but it's more of an acknowledgement of a previous adaptation then many remakes show. Also, if I remember correctly, Brett Ratner did mention living up to Michael Mann, Jonathan Demme and Ridley Scott in the Charlie Rose interview he did with Anthony Hopkins, which shows that the film was acknowledged somewhat by the people involved with the movie, rather than them trying to ignore it. It doesn't really matter if you consider it a remake or not, because I think it was a faithful adaption of the original novel by Thomas Harris, which "Manhunter" wasn't. Some people may still prefer "Manhunter" but as a fan of the original book I favor "Red Dragon".

10. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Scott, I must admit that is a great extra for a magazine to score [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Of course Scott forgot to mention that the screener is in P&S and that the letter to the Academy says "do not be alarmed by this DVD, as it includes NO BLACK BARS, so as to fully fill up your pitcher tube."

12. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Aye you kiding?

13. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Scott clearly mentions "anamorphic" in his post.

14. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it is indeed a beautiful widescreen anamorphic transfer. I think the previous poster was kidding and referring to the sticker on the Unfaithful full screen dvd's in stores now.