I just got my mid-tem report from school!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Glenn Overholt, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

And I'm still laughing..

Ok, you know when you open up an envelope before you even check to see who it is from? Well, I did that. I now have a mid-term report for a 9th grader at a local school.

It has my address on it, but not my name. The last owners didn't have any children, and it isn't their name either. This report has 4 classes with 30 absences on it. Only one of the four classes had a grade.

My first thought was that he set this all up so his reports would never get to his parents/guardians. He just gave his school another address, hoping I'd just toss it into the can.

What should I do with it? Oh, the last name is not in any local phone book. If I call his counselor will she know that he scammed the school?

Glenn

2. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I would call the school, tell them you got the mail and offer to send it back. Federal law actually requires you to at a minimum, return to sender. You have opened someone else's mail (albeit unknowingly) and thus must rectify the situation. As far as the kid, of COURSE he knows his report card is going to your house... Let the chips fall where they may.

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

It's pretty impossible for a child to give a school an address... The parents do this when the kids sign up... The parents are also suppose to change this... If this kid was able to change an address through administration, the school isnt doing their job...

It could be a computer error... It could be for someone who switched schools, but they never took their name out of the computer... Possibly, it could be someone who happened to get away with an address change... He would only be around 14... Cant drop out until 16... He could just be trying to stall...

Were the classes with no marks marked incomplete??? If so, it could be possibly someone on medical leave or something...

You could call the school I guess... You would be lucky if they even looked into it... Most likely they wont do a thing anyways if they havent already...

4 classes??? Only 1 with a grade??? 30 absenses in 2 months or so??? This seems almost impossible that the school wouldnt have looked into this already...

I only had 5 classes at a time in High School, but I was an advanced student who only went 6 semesters to begin with... I placed out of all but one of my 9th grade classes... I also had to have my parents permission to do this... I still did get grades though... Most people take 7 or 8 classes though on average...

My attendance wasnt the best, but it was nowhere near 30 days in 2 months or so...

4. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Ryan:

"You underestimate the power of the darkside."

Clearly, you have no experience with how devious teenagers can be...

When I was living in Northern California, the local school district had a "telephone" notification system that would call the parents and leave a message ("Your student at Sacramento Junior High, 'Jane Smith' Missed school today. 'Jane Smith' has missed '11' Days of school. Please Call Sacramento Jr. High at 555-5555, Thank You.")

After I had had my number for three years (and no children at the time), halfway through the fall semester I began getting these calls EVERY DAY. At first I ignored them, hoping they would go away. One day I had been up all night studying for a big test and tried to catch a few hours sleep, and the phone rang, waking me up (and pissing me off) leaving the message so I finally called the school and said:

"Hi there... I keep getting these really annoying calls from your school saying my kid was not there today, and I'd like them to please stop..."

"What is your child's name?"

"That's the funny thing... (laughing)I have no children."

"You don't have any children???"

"Nope" (Chuckling)

"Are you SURE you don't have any children?"

"None that I am aware of... That is something I would know, don't you think?" (Now laughing at HER)

"So you can't be sure they DON'T go to our school?"

"I HAVE NO CHILDREN!!!"

"If you have no children why are you getting these calls???"

"I WAS HOPING YOU COULD EXPLAIN THAT!?!?"

"Please hold..."

"No... Dont put me on hol.... "

(Insert muzak here)

(Now muttering to myself outloud to the tune of "it's not unusual") "God Damnit lady... I just want you to stop calling me..."

(end muzak) (Oh thank god)
    "I'm sorry, we can't have the calls stopped, they are for your notification when your student misses school... If you would like to provide an excuse for your student's absence, you'll have to mail that in..."

"I DONT HAVE A STUDENT!!! I HAVE NO GODDAMNED CHILDREN!!!"

"Please hold..."

"NOOOO"
    (More Muzak)

(End Muzak)
    "What is the name of your student?"

"I DON'T HAVE A F&^%ING' STUDENT... I JUST WANT YOU F&^%ING PEOPLE TO STOP F*&%ING CALLING ME!!!"

"Sir... What is the name of the student left on the message?"

"Oh... uh...right... Its an odd name... something like 'Leeshawan Obleshonee"

"How do you spell that sir?"

"How the hell do you suppose I should know how to spell it??? IT'S NOT MY GODDAMNED KID!"

Obviously, they were VERY suspicious that I was the kid trying to get them to stop calling his parents. Took me several calls over several days during which a crack team of detectives (probably headed up by the same trained chimp I talked to the first time) "investigated" the problem. Finally worked it's way up to a vice principal or some other Grand Poobah of incompetence... Turns out, the kid had FORGED his mom's signature on an "address change" form, and the school bought it... It's not like lots of schools have an FBI Document analyst on the payroll... Anyways... the kid got into a heap of trouble, and I stopped getting calls. But it isn't beyond the skill of any motivated teen to outwit these folks....

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hilarious stupidity you encountered, Erik.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Erik, thank you for that. If I do call I hope I'll have as much fun!

I can easily mail it back but it would probably be easier for someone to just click on a PC and have another one come out. (I should have that by the end of the week, no?)!

It is a really screwy report. He has 2 teachers. One (math B1) he got a 'C' with no absences. The other 3 classes all have the same teacher. English 2, PE-Lifetime & Fam Living-A.

As for only having 4 classes, some school districts do things differently. Maybe he works in the afternoon and he doesn't get to school until his last class starts. (Ok, it was good for a laugh)!

If he did 'change' his address his last address would still be in his records, right?

Also, what do they do to these idiots? Suspension, detention?

Glenn

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Out-of-school suspension may be an option, which I've never understood.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

At my HS, we only took 4 classes at a time, for the duration of one semester. Each class was 2 hrs long.

Now, the absenses are not good but the fact that there's only 4 classes doesn't mean anything negative.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I got a call to my work voicemail a few weeks ago about some kid, his teacher was calling to say he wasn't applying himself and rambled on and on and on about some kid I don't know.

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Maybe I should turn this all around and climb all over their cases for not knowing where their students live!

Glenn