I just got my first 16x9 - Question about Calibration, Zoom

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Floto, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I couldn't get the search function to work for me today for some reason, so if these questions need to be found in other threads I would appreciate anyone directing me to them. Otherwise, here's the deal...

I just got a 53" Widescreen Television (HD ready, but without the HD reciever...that will come a bit later). I used Avia to adjust the image, but I notice a difference in color saturation on some of my satellite channels, and it still seems too bright. I realize I may have made a mistake and I do plan to go through the Avia disc again tonight...but I was wondering about having my set professionally calibrated...

Is this expensive?

How would I find someone in my area (Long Beach, California)?

What all do they adjust?

Will I still have to make some of my own adjustments as well?

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought that if I were watching letterboxed content on television (like Star Trek: Enterprise or E.R. that I was supposed to Zoom the image since I don't have the HD receiver. This looks pretty good, but I noticed that there's a bit of overscan when I do this (on Star Trek I can see that the little UPN logo in the bottom right corner is cut off a little at the bottom...but when I view it letterboxed in 4x3 mode there's a tiny bit of space below that logo).

Am I doing this wrong?

Is this something that a professional calibrator will fix?

Thanks for any help?

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

Calibration can run from $275 upwards to $700 or $800 depending on what is performed on the display.

You may find someone by simply doing a search at www.ImagingScience.com for trained dealers, but beware that their listing does not guarantee competence. Try to get credentials and referrals. Another option is to use calibrators that have reputations such as Gregg Loewen of LionAV who travels to California regularly. I as well travel to your area frequently.

Calibrators will generally adjust setting such as grayscle, brightness, contrast, color, tint, color decoder, disable SVM, electronic and mechanical focus, remove the glare screen, geometry, convergence, ect. It all depends on the type of calibration that will benefit your set.

You will most likely not have to make any adjustments except the basic changing the picture size
    [​IMG] .

Your not zooming your image wrong; however, zooming is an attempt to not stretch the image too much on most sets. When viewing in the 4x3 mode you are seeing the image that is coming through, if you want to fill the screen watch in the full mode. If you want to fill the screen without distorting the picture so that people are short and fat you would use a zoom mode. This will cut off parts of the image; however, it will fill the screen and make the picture less distorted.

Regards,

3. Robert Floto

UPDATE:

I went through the Avia disc again last night and think I got the black level, white level, color, hue, sharpness in pretty good shape. I will need to watch it for a few days now to see if I need any further adjustments.

4. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

This issue you are having the ZOOM feature could be do to an overscan issue. It may also just be related to the actual zoom mode on the set, depending on the make and model this may be correctable.

I will be in your area in January if you are interested please email me at [email protected] for details. You can also view our website at www.Avical.com for pricing information.

Regards,

5. Robert Floto

Thanks, David. It looks pretty good now, it's just that Zoom thing that's bothering me. Is there a way to just adjust that? Either by myself, or professionally?

Perhaps you could e-mail me with a cost for fixing just that...? Though I will probably want to see if I can find a way of getting it straightened out sooner than January, I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks again!

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys!!

IMHO, categorically speaking, the Panasonics are about the worst set made out of the box. HOWEVER, they are quite nice once properly setup. Be prepared to be amazed.

Im not sure if the new 53" set is black or not inside the cabinet. The new 47"s are not painted at all (or at least the 2 I have worked on). So make sure that Dave does a full lining on your set while he is there. It will definitely be worth it in increased image quality. Your in good hands!!

Regards

Gregg