I just got my B&K 50......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianKR, Aug 13, 2003.

1. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Overall I am more than pleased with my selection in pre/pro's. The B&K 50 appears to be a perfect match for my speakers. I got it yesterday and wired it for sound. I have yet to run my video components through it or properly calibrate my speakers with avia. I just did it by ear for now using the same levels I was with my receiver as a pre/pro.

Yes, there is a night and day difference from my receiver to B&K. I was very skeptical about how much of a difference if any I would get with movies and games. I didn't have to play more than a couple scenes from my DTS demo disk and a few music CD's.

My only gripe is the remote control for the B&K. The SR10.1 is a bitch to set up the way I want it. I got some of the marco's I want in but there are some things I want to try and do that I don't see any options for. I'm sure it's more a matter of my getting use to using the suite software than the limitations of the info they supply. It would have been a huge help if they included an instructional video with it... I'm lazy when it comes to reading. I am mostly winging it with trial and error and the use of a config Terry sent me as a reference guide.

Back to work. This unit is awesome! My family and friends that got to hear it so far are blown away with the difference in sound this unit adds.

2. Terry.P

Terry.P Stunt Coordinator

The remote software is a little clumsy until you get the hang of it. I was very used to and well versed with the pronto edit software. It took me a little while but I was able to basically replicate all of the complex macros and logic I had with my pronto on the SR10.1. Don't give up on the remote programing and try to do as much as you can on the PC. The best thing you can do is to gather all of the discrete on/off and source codes that you can. It will make you life much easier as you move around you system between sources and duties. If you have have some truly special programming questions you can post them on the MX-700 forum on remotecentral.com. There is a lot of valuable information and answers over there.

3. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Terry. My experiences were similar, I had a RC5000 (Marantz version of Pronto TSU1000) and was fairly familiar with the software. When I received my Ref 50 & new remote I sold the RC5000 and started programing and yes it was a new learning curve. It did take longer for the synapses to fire (hey I'm 2 years older now) but I did get the hang of the new software and now have it programmed with all my macros & settings. If you can't get it then hire someone to program the remote for you, it was originially intended for that. My logic was if a HT installer could figure it out then so could I. It's not that tough once you figure out the logic, but of course that like saying driving a 18 wheel truck is easy once you figured out 16 speeds, 40+ feet of tractor & trailer, and tens of thousands of pounds. If you have the time to learn then do it, you will feel better once you have it. If you don't have the time then farm it out.

Just my .02.

4. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I will most likely take the time to learn it. I don't think there is any one available in my area that I could hire out to program it for me. The only things I want to accomplish with the remote is to make it user friendly for my wife and to have the speakers adjustments readily available.

I want to be able to adjust the individual speaker levels on the fly without having to go into the menu options. I am really good at figuring out programs like this. I agree with Terry that it is a little sloppy but I will clean it up with a lil help from remotecentral.com

5. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on your new purchase. What are you using for power amp and speakers?

6. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

A Sherbourn amp and B&W Nautilus speakers in a 5.1 configuration. I am going to add 2 more speakers this winter. I was going to stick with 5.1 but now that I have the B&K I am hungry for more!

Will this madness ever end!?

7. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

"Will this madness ever end!?"

No, not really.

Have you noticed, once you've bought 3 new components, its like the dam broke and you're ready to buy a lot more?

Recently, I bought the Ref 50, a new amp for my rear center channel, and some speakers to better match my other speakers.

Now I'm looking at a 10' satellite dish for the back yard. See, 3 new components and the dam broke.

Jim

8. Roger Kaufmann

Brian,

I'm using B&W Matrix 805's and have been considering moving them to the back and upgrading to a HTM1 center and Nautilus 804's for my 3 front channels. Which Nautilus speakers are you using?

Money is always a subject so I'm looking initially for a used HTM1 which I find are kind of scare on the used market these days. I check Audiogone and other sites regularly but boy they just haven't popped up lately.

Cheers,
    Roger K.

9. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

10. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Ahh..the fun of HT addict! Brian, I went ahead and ordered rhino cables..I'll let ya know how they are. (audio and component) tom

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Addict wise...I figured, we bought a new house, why not upgrade the HT for fill the room up(4 times larger than my old HT room) so, I did have a reason[​IMG] muhahaha...I was thinking projector, but I want to play xbox also...seems as though the quality is mediocre at best right now on the 3k or less ones...

12. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I am this >< close to buying a NEC ht1000 front projector! A friend of mine just pick one up for a huge discount and he can get me the same price. I went over his house and helped him set it up. It looked awesome and he doesn't even have a screen yet! It looks better out of the box than my RPTV does now.

I am going to try and hold off buying one. I want a 16:9 not a 4:3 but this deal is a once in a life time offer. I have now seen 8 projectors in action and the NEC was the best of them all so far.

I just got back from my local dealer. They shot me down to borrow a HTM1. He told me to bring my HTM2 there. I offered him my drivers license and credit card to protect himself. I told him I would sign a credit slip allowing him to charge my CC with the full amount for the speaker and it's used! I bought from them in the past too. I had every intention of purchasing from them if I liked the speaker.

Living in the boonies really bites hard! They are the only hi end shop going and they know it.

Thank god for internet sales!

I just bought a set from bluejeans and I have another window open surfing rhino for component. Please do let me know how you make out with your Rhino Tom.

13. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

14. Roger Kaufmann

Hi Brian,

Well get ready to part with more money, after audtioning both the HTM1 & HTM2 there was no contest the HTM1 wins hands down. I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion so congratulations in advance for your new center channel.

15. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I am going to A & B the HTM1 & 2 next week. What were the differences between 1 & 2?

16. Roger Kaufmann

Reopening an old thread, well I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on a HTM1. On a whim I dropped by my dealer and he offered me a great deal. I normally don't drop that kind of money without some thought but heck it was an opportunity so I grabbed it. When I got it home and set it up, oh my what a huge difference from my Matrix 805 center channel. Until I can get the wiring done and an amp purchased I will retire the 805 to a corner to wait for further battle.

Anyhow the HTM1 is terrific!

Cheers,