I just got an Xbox! Questions.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Vlad D, Jan 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I got an Xbox this week as a belated birthday present from my wife. I had originally wanted an Ipod, but she said that I would never use it (she's probably right) so I then asked for an Xbox instead. It came with 2 games, Star Wars Clone Wars and Tetris World, and also came with Xbox live installed (no headset) and a 2 month free trial to Xbox Live. I also went out and got Halo (great game) and an extra controller.

I was wondering what you guys use to connect to Xbox Live?
    I have DSL and a wireless router and was thinking about getting the Xbox wireless adapter but its a little pricey.

Also, is there a site where I can find Xbox Live graphic icons so that I can make one with my gamertag for my signature?

And lastly, I was wondering what you guys thought of these games that I want to pick up: Morrowind, Hitman 2, Max Payne, Unreal Championship and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Are any of these worth getting?

2. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I've played your first 3 on PC (I run a very high end system so the graphics look much better-I use 4xAA and 16xquality AF @ 1280x960- on my rig than on the xbox) and if the controls have been ported well then they are all first rate.

Max Payne is short and sweet-Hitman 2 is methodical and smooth-and Morrowind is a legend!

Three wonderful games that you should enjoy!

rogo

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

I have a wireless router too, but Microsoft came out with their wireless adaptor after I got live. So, I just use a network cable.

My cousin was considering getting a wireless adaptor but he decided to just run the wire on the floor. So whenever he's not using live, he coils the network cable and stores it away. It only takes about a minute to connect the wire to the xbox, so he doesn't mind.

Max Payne(1 and 2) are both really great games. But they are really short. So you should probably rent it first. Morrowind is a great game. I have it on PC as well as Xbox. Hitman 2 is good as it's less linear than most games(there never really is one way to finish a level).

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I'm using a Linksys router and Microsoft's Wireless Adapter. I've also worked with Linksys's WGA11b wireless adapter, and it's a great little unit. But for the extra bucks, I like Microsofts unit better. This is due to the fact that you can do any necessary configurations of the adapter right there on your TV screen. [​IMG]

Either unit works nice, and is fairly simple to configure.

Gamertags, these are the only blank ones I have, but you are welcome to them (unless the original makers have any objections, of course.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for your game selections...

Morrowind: Fun, but you gotta be into RPGs to enjoy it. Can be quite in-depth and "slow" for folks who are used to more action. Graphics are beautiful. I'd rent this one before buying, as I've seen lots of folks that love it, and lots that hate it.

Hitman2: Haven't played it, but it sounds like fun.

Max Payne: Can't go wrong with this one. It's really quite a bit of fun. A bit short though.

Unreal: Fun for multi-player. A bit dated now. For Multi-player/Live action, I'd rather play Rainbow Six 3 though... or perhaps Wolfenstein.

Baldur's Gate: Can't go wrong with any Baldur's Gate game.

[​IMG]

Enjoy your present! [​IMG]

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks for the input and game reviews guys.

Tony:
    I think I'll probably get the Microsoft's Wireless Adapter because I also like the fact that you can do all the configurations right on your TV screen.

I'll definitely be getting Morrowind. I love RPG's.

Also thanks for the blank gamertags.

One more question. The sales girl at Best Buy talked us into buying a memory card because she said that I couldn't save games on the hard drive. I didn't know any better so I bought one; but I now know that is not the case (should have done my research first [​IMG] ). Anyway, is there any reason that I should keep it? I'm thinking of returning it and getting a game instead.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

No reason to keep it. I bought my Xbox on launch and never had the need for a memcard. Return it and get Simpsons Hit & Run. [​IMG]

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

If you get the Game of the Year version it includes the expansions.

8. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Check out fatwallet. There is a thread about Target selling the Xbox Wireless-G adapter (which is just a bridge) for like $70. If you get the Xbox live 1 year you can get a $40 rebate for buying them both. Hope this helps.

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG] Obviously, she had no clue what she was talking about. I've had my 'box for just over a year now I think... never needed a memory card. Only need I could see for one is if I wanted to cart a savegame over to a friends place. Haven't had the need to do that yet. [​IMG]

Have fun!

10. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I returned the memory card and picked up Hitman 2. I wanted to get Morrowind but they didn't have any copies. I'll look for it this weekend.

11. BillySmith

BillySmith Extra

I have used a cat5 crossover cable coming out of oneof my ethernet cards on my pc. My brother sold his xbox for a game cube but, I still use the homemade crossover for my PS-2.

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Cool! Glad you were able to return the card. [​IMG] Enjoy yourself! [​IMG]