What's new

I just got a sub for my center channel... (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
...but am using it in a slightly different way.
Before I go into it let me get the background info out.

Im using a Rotel 1055 as a preamp. Mains and Surrounds are Klispch KG 5.2's, Center is a KG 2.2v and Center backs are KG 4.2's. Amplifiers are a 985mkII and RB-1070. Subs are SVS 20-39s and a 25-31PCi.

I have all speakers set to small and HP at 40hz. The 5.2's and 4.2's can handle this in my room with no real problems.

Here comes the center sub. The 2.2v cant play much lower than 60hz with any volume, so I figured I would try an inexpensive sub to fill in from the 2.2s natural rolloff down to around 40hz. The 1055 has 2 center preouts so I just connected the sub to the 2nd out and dialed in the subs output by ear.

To do this I put the 1055 in 7 channel stereo and unplugged all speakers except the center.

The only concern I have is possibley having 2 crossovers in line withthe CC sub. The receivers is set at 40hz but I have the subs at around 80-100hz. Is this asking for trouble? The new sub is a Polk PSW 202, open box at Circuit City for $125.

Earle

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I would set it where the sub's is.
Not to mention the low end limit is 60hz according to you,so why would you set it lower.?

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Having two crossovers in series could do odd things with slope and phase. But, since the second one (sub XO) is out of the range of the first, I doubt anything too odd would happen.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Lewis,
I was concerned with phase issues or cascading crosovers causing a problem. Im not really sure what the actual LP is set at. I just went by ear.

This addition seems to make a difference. Seems like there is alittle more umph(for a lack of a better term) up front. Its amazing how much cleaner my main subs sound just reproducing the real lowend.

Earle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks