What's new

i just got a record player but have tremendous hum. now i have questions... (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i just bought the denon dp-29f for $130 at tweeter.
i hooked it up to my denon 3300.

i cant get rid of the hum.

i moved it around, away from the spekers, on the floor , on top of the big screeen tv. but no luck i still have hum.

i also turned of the internal amp that is in the TT. but that produced no sound at all from the receiver.

so is the denon 3300 compatible with a turntable even when both are denon?
the 3300 has a phono input with a ground attachment on the back next to the rca input.

what am i doing wrong?

should i just return this and get a different TT?

IS THIS receiver able to play a TT without some kind of added amp?

help i want to listen to my records that i havent heard in years.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, if the '3300 has dedicated phono inputs with a ground screw, then it is able to accommodate a turntable. This means it has an internal phono pre-amp. I am not the vinyl expert, but I would make sure the ground cable is secure on both ends. Then I guess I would check the cartridge to make sure it is connected properly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks keith i did all that.
the ground wire comes directly out of the TT connected to the rca out wires.
this is a problem if i needed to move it further away from the speakers or components as all wires are attatched to the TT.
Also the hum is present even when the needle is not on the record. the TT is now just sitting there and tons of hum are cominf from the receiver. volume control does lowere the hum but it also lowers the sound from the lp.:angry:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
also this TT has a button that will turn off or on the built in riaa equalizer amplifier.

"when the unit is connected to the phono (mm) jacks:" "turn the button to off."

when i do this i get virtually no sound unless i turn the volume up all the way.

when i turn the button on, is when i get the hum.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
A cartridge's output is about 1000 times less than a CD players, so it needs to be amplified. Looks like your TT has this "phono stage" amplifier - if you're using that, make sure you go into a regular audio input on the 3300. If you're using the dedicated phono input on the 3300, make sure the phono stage on the TT is turned off, otherwise you'll be doing this amplification twice.

I'm assuming you're using the dedicated phono inputs on the 3300? Are you sure you have an MM cartridge on the turntable? Does the cartridge have a brand or a model # anywhere on it?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Tony,

This turntable is designed to be used with receivers that don’t have a phone pre-amp – that’s what the RIAA equalization is for. So, leave it on and plug the turntable into a regular line-level input.

You will still need to secure the ground wire to the ground screw on the receiver.

If you need to move the ’table further away from the receiver you can splice an extension onto the existing ground wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Maybe the hum is from the cartridge? Make sure the cartridge wires are connected tightly and not touching each other. See if moving them does anything. Also maybe try moving the ground wire and interconnects while they're attached, and the turntable on to see if they have any effect. Perhaps some other wire is hitting these wires?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that (mm) is a quote from the manual. as for what type of cart it is ...who knows. it is a very small white little piece of plastic with a stylus in it that slips on the end of the arm. no markings at all.

If you need to move the ’table further away from the receiver you can splice an extension onto the existing ground wire.
that is not an option for me. i'll just return the TT if i cant get it to work with my 3300.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the turntable. Saurav and Wayne definitely are on to something. I thought going through regular analog inputs (CD, tape, etc.) with the built-in amplifier turned on would have done the trick. Perhaps you should try a different turntable if no one here has other ideas.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks for all the help.
it looks like i;ll be returning the table tomorrow.:frowning:
i have an older sony upstairs that i'll try it on to see what happens with that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I hope the Sony table works better for you. For the time being, I am using a Sony PS-LX350H manual turntable (current model; $200 at Crutchfield) that is surprisingly good for the money. I will probably upgrade it one of these days, but for now, it is serving me well.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Tony, check the RCA connectors. My brother's TT had the exact same problem as yours and he just replaced the RCA's, and it was fixed. Try moving the cable around when it is humming and see if you can get it to stop. Good luck!:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the rca's are attached to the player so i couldn't replace them if i wanted to.

before i return it i'm going to try extending the rca cables by adding an extention piece(i'm sure radio shack will have this) and adding a longer wire then moving it as far from the speakers as i can.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, Radio Shack does have the RCA extenders you seek. Many turntables have hardwired RCA and ground cables. I have been told that this is because one should have the shortest cable run possible with a turntable. I can see how this would be true, but I do find it annoying. In my current set-up, my turntable has to be between three and four feet away from my integrated amp. The Sony PS-LX350H turntable has detachable cables, which is one reason why I bought it. The old Kenwood turntable it replaced had hardwired cables that would not reach the integrated amp. I could have used cable extenders, but it had other shortcomings, so I replaced it. Anyway, hardwired cables are bothersome, but the next turntable I buy, which will be much better than the Sony, is likely to have them. I'll have to adjust. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i got the extenders and moved the tt well away from everything but still had hum.

i am returning the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks